account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

PTP mode (USB)

Visitor
Message 1 of 24
Message 1 of 24

PTP mode (USB)

I backed up my data from an old Samsung SIII Mini phone using the Helium app which requires the phone USB to be in PTP mode. There's no way to access this mode in the settings of the Z1 Compact phone (all other Android phones have this to select alongside MTP). However Helium app can bring up this menu, it shows 2 check boxes, MTP and PTP, selecting PTP doesn't work though as within a second it removes the check and re-checks MTP on its own.

I don't want to lost all my game and app data which cannot be saved/transferred without PTP mode, please can anyone help with this? (not wanting to root or put a different ROM on the phone)

23 REPLIES 23
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 24
Message 2 of 24

Re: PTP mode (USB)

I tried Helium here in a Z1 and a Z1 Compact and there's no need for PTP mode to enable Helium. Just enable USB-debugging in the phone and connect it. To access developer settings, tap the version number 7 times under Settings -> About phone and then to to Settings -> Developer options and enable USB debugging.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 3 of 24
Message 3 of 24

Hi. I have enabled usb-debugging but Helium will not start without enabling PTP :-(

Learner
Message 4 of 24
Message 4 of 24

to enable PTP mode 1st u must install Helium Desktop on your PC (download from HERE), run the application, only then u can enable the PTP mode on helium.

One time poster
Message 5 of 24
Message 5 of 24

I am having the exact same problem too

One time poster
Message 6 of 24
Message 6 of 24

I have this exact problem on my Xperia S. Helium won't connect without PTP, PTP mode can't be enabled because it switches right back to MTP. Do you have any more advice? I don't want to root my phone but i'd rather do that than lose my data.

One time poster
Message 7 of 24
Message 7 of 24

Same problem for me on my Xperia Z3 Compact, I can't use Helium though... Any suggestion?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 24
Message 8 of 24

Just tested this here on a Z3 Compact but it works fine for me.

What i did was:

1. Enable USB debugging

2. Install the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

3. Connect phone to PC and wait for ADB drivers to be installed

4. Install PC application: http://clockworkmod.com/carbon

5. Start app in the phone

6. Start PC application

The app in the phone showed a popup asking me if i wanted to enable PTP but i didn't need to select anything.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 9 of 24
Message 9 of 24

Hi,

Im developing for android and I was hoping I could use my new z3. In order to debug apps I need to be able to have ptp enabled for data transfer. Is that possible do you know?

Thanks

Aidan

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 24
Message 10 of 24

I'm afraid i don't know of any way to set PTP-mode in the phone.