account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

FM Radio died.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 42
Message 1 of 42

FM Radio died.

Yesterday I finally received my Z1 Compact I ordered almost 50 hours earlier. This morning I went to work and plugged in my earphones and started the FM Radio. I quickly tuned and favorited the top 2 channels I usually listen during the day. I was delighted in the sound quality and especially reception compared to my previous phone, Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2.

The joy didn't last too long tough. After about 2 minutes of listening all I could hear was constant static noise. I presumed it was an outage in the transmission but checked from coworker that his radio was still playing. Next I suspected an issue with the earphones so I listened to some internet radio which played nicely. At lunch break I changed brand new earphones (I always carry a spare) but the radio still played only static, not a single station could be found. Tried turning off and on again with no help.

Once I got home I checked the support pages which suggested pressing the OFF-key under the SIM-cover, did so with no help. Next I tried plugging in some highendish closed-type earphones and when I raised the phone to a good angle I could hear a faint signal under the static hissing.

I had to go to grocery store in the evening and popped in at local store of the supplier I orded my phone from online (Saunalahti/Elisa). The worker was very sorry and helpful but said that Sony doesn't have the same 7-day DOA-warranty as some manufacturers so the phone needs to be sent for repairs.

Is there still something I could do to resolve my problem? I'm still going to do a factory reset before giving up. I'm not very happy if I need to send this to be repaired (usually takes 2 weeks) because this is way much better that the Xcover2 but I really need the FM radio, it was the main reason I chose this instead of Galaxy S4 active.

41 REPLIES 41
Apprentice
Message 2 of 42
Message 2 of 42

Re: FM Radio died.

Finished resetting/updating the phone using SUS. No help, still terrible (but some, not none) reception. If nothing comes up in a few days I'll be sending it in for repair next week. 

12 hours before first hardware malfunction, not too promising!

Apprentice
Message 3 of 42
Message 3 of 42

Sent the phone in for repairs today. Hoping to see it soon, with working FM radio.

Master
Message 4 of 42
Message 4 of 42

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

Sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing with your Xperia Z1 compact. 

Did you try with another headset before sending into service since the headset is used as antenna for the FM Radio?

Hopefully the service center will fix the problem with your phone, keep us updated when you get your phone back from the service centre. 

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 42
Message 5 of 42

Hi Alexander. 

As I mentioned in my first post I tried 3 sets of headsets, of 2 types. My first "hope" was that the headset just died as I always carry a spare to work. 

I'll keep the forum up to date, now the device has been sent to another service.

Can anyone verify that their FM Radio has good reception, as I had for couple of minutes?

Adviser
Message 6 of 42
Message 6 of 42

I use it almost everyday since I got the phone and it works fine with excellent reception and sound Slightly smiling Face

Master
Message 7 of 42
Message 7 of 42

I can just agree with Pest, I haven't experienced any problems with the FM radio in Xperia Z1 compact. Hopefully you will share our experience when you get back the phone from service!

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 42
Message 8 of 42

Picked up the phone from "repair". No visible signs of service which can be seen as a good thing but the bad thing is that the radio still isn't working! Usually I have received a note from service which tells what has been done and now I didn't receive such note so I can't verify if they have actually seen and/or touched my phone.

This really isn't the way I planned my relationship with a phone costing over 500 euros!

Master
Message 9 of 42
Message 9 of 42

Sounds strange. 

I suggest that you raise this with your local Xperia support team since repairs are handled locally. 

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

sony_logo126x24.gif

Adviser
Message 10 of 42
Message 10 of 42

I have recently had the same problem. Radio working brilliantly for the first month and a half and then dies with only static heard. The camera button has also stopped working properly. It doesn't fire up the camera if pressed, if in the camera app, it switches on the flash, beeps but doesn't 'go all the way' and take a picture.

Have performed a factory reset and tried other headsets (that I know work on other phones) but no joy....

This is my first venture away from HTC (since the Windows era with no problems at all) and not too happy....

Will keep you posted