account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Can I use a compatible Nokia USB cable?

SOLVED
Regular
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Can I use a compatible Nokia USB cable?

It seems like an obvious question, but I want to avoid making a fatal mistake!

Please note: the only reason I wish to do this is for convenience (1 cable permanently attached to my pc/ 1 cable permanently attached to charger).

I can see the Sony & Nokia micro USB cables are "identical".

I have plugged in my Sony charger plug to the electricity with the Nokia micro USB attached.

When I then connect it to my Sony z1 the device appears with a message “Go Connect”…

I have not continued until I get some advice please.

• Should I initiate “Go Connect”?
  • Should the Nokia USB cable work? [note: as I am only attaching the cable to the Sony charger plug, then the voltage should be controlled by the Sony charger plug, no?]
  • Do I have any risks in using it? [I understand “it is recommended to use Sony original chargers”]
  • Will the phone still recognise both the charger with the Nokia USB cable and the Sony USB cable on my pc without any conflicts?
  • Would it also be ok to use it as the USB cable on the pc?

I really appreciate help – it will simplify my life!

Phone: Sony Z1 Compact

Android 4.4.4

Sony Charger plug: EP880

Sony USB/ charger cable: EC801 [micro USB data cable]

Nokia cable: CA179 [micro USB data cable]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can I use a compatible Nokia USB cable?

A cable is a cable - Some cheap and some not - The use of a standard fit is to stop manufactures claiming part of the market for themselves however there are some manufactures that are exempt - So yes the cable will be fine - If using it froma mains plug then the output should not exceed 5v and 1.5a or 1500ma

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

2 REPLIES 2
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

A cable is a cable - Some cheap and some not - The use of a standard fit is to stop manufactures claiming part of the market for themselves however there are some manufactures that are exempt - So yes the cable will be fine - If using it froma mains plug then the output should not exceed 5v and 1.5a or 1500ma

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
Regular
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Thank you Thommo. Perfect. (I know it seemed logical but I wanted to check there wasn't a catch).