account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

z3 Compact microSDXC U3 speed compatibility

SOLVED
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

z3 Compact microSDXC U3 speed compatibility

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) microSDXC like this one: http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/extremepro-uhs-i/?capacity=64GB

Will my z3 compact take advantage of such card? or it will just work at U1 speed?

Thanks

PS: U3 speed class is recomended for recording 4k video contents.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Re: z3 Compact microSDXC U3 speed compatibility

The Z3 should be compatible with a UHS III. I have a UHS I in my QX10 but that is not DSLR (mine is from Sony and it is advertised for Android devices however it works on the QX10 well).

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

There is no need for such fast cards. UHS I is more than enough (keep in mind that 4K recording needs about 55-56 Mb/s which is about 7 MB/s write speed).

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

OK great, so I'll go for a 128gb card, wich are only U1.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-plus-class10-for-android/?capacity=128GB

but knowing there's no need, do you know if they are compatible? I have a DSLR and I want to buy a sdcard compatible to use with botwh the cam and the z3. The DSLR is compatible with U3 speed, and this is why i asked for...

Highlighted
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

The Z3 should be compatible with a UHS III. I have a UHS I in my QX10 but that is not DSLR (mine is from Sony and it is advertised for Android devices however it works on the QX10 well).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Thank you so much for you answers.

I'll go for the U3 card. I'll take advantage of such speed in my DSLR and at least I know it will work on my z3, maybe it will be a buss speed bottleneck, but it will be no problem since, as you said before, this phone doesn't need so much speed to work.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

If you have the money,it is your choice. However,keep us updated on how the USH III card works on both Z3 and the DSLR.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@alexdon wrote:

There is no need for such fast cards. UHS I is more than enough (keep in mind that 4K recording needs about 55-56 Mb/s which is about 7 MB/s write speed).

you are totally wrong.

the multimedia library (many music, many photo, many ebook) requiert you have a quick memory card because there are many applications (from sony and google music by example)  which are constantly read and resync, and check, and list the multimedia library content.

each time you take a photo, there is a process which re-read the entire library to rebuild an index.

Same thing with music, video content, there is always a process which need to QUICK read your memory card.

if your memory card is slow or not quick enough (like my sandisk ultra 64GB microsd XC I), then the entire device will slow  that make you think it is obsolete whereas it is only a matter a memorycard speed and capacity (i have more than 6000 songs on my card and the process who read the art cover is very slow).

EAch process who need to make a thumbnail of music video or photo gallery need a quick memory card.

so you need to get a very quick memory card if you have a big library content (musics+photos+videos+ebook)

Highlighted
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

@MichaelREMY Ok, if you have many media files, UHS I might help. But someone who is a true photographer will buy a DSLR and not a smartphone. You can have all of them in a smartphone, that is also true.

Adviser
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

@alexdon wrote:

@MichaelREMY Ok, if you have many media files, UHS I might help. But someone who is a true photographer will buy a DSLR and not a smartphone. You can have all of them in a smartphone, that is also true.

do not forget this :

on a DSLR, once you take a photo, the system rebuild an index of your libraby gallery (calculate the thumbnail, make news...etc), so whith a slow card, you may have to wait after your shot. it depend of course of the quantity of images already stored on your card.

imagine a traveler with a 256GB card, in the evening the shoot will be slower because the need of the index recaclucated (make thumbnail, updata database data and geolocalization index..) is rquiert a overall re-read of all the library.

even you shot any short-video, think of the time need to rebuild a gallery index with thumbnails.... At this moment, the memorycard is very requested....

do not under-estimate the speed whith huge or large media library on the card.

Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

I was on the same train about to buy the 64GB Extreme Pro from SanDisk but then last minute I decided to get the 128GB Extreme Plus... U1 instead of U3 and so far 4K videos and Timeshift Videos hasn't been an issue.... They are saved fast, and having double the space is better than having a slight speed improvement