account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

xperia z1 wifi issue

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 103
Message 11 of 103

Re: xperia z1 wifi issue

@normal wrote:

I'm suffering really poor wifi connections and my router is on Channel 1. None of my other mobiles or devices are having a problem.

when you say you have poor wifi connection are you just looking at the signal icon?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 12 of 103
Message 12 of 103

After having the latest firmware, the wifi issue still remains.

But not everytime I need restart... sometimes my phone connects to wifi with few mins delay ....

Sony has to address this issue quickly!!

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 13 of 103
Message 13 of 103

Got my phone today. Wifi reception is extremely weak. It can't contact wifi half of the time within the same office, while my iPhone shows full reception. When I came home, it is also extremely low (1 bar at best). I had to be 1 foot from the router to have good signal reception!!!

This is not acceptable for a premium product, and even though I love it, I might have to return it, because it is pretty much useless unless I am filthy rich (4G data). I can't for example go to an airport and demand them to change channels like some people suggested. It has to WORK in RESONABLE conditions.

Changing channels below 11 does not have any effect. Turning bluetooth off does not have any effect. Many times I have to restart the phone to even get wifi. Otherwise it says "not in range", when I almost stand next to it!!!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 14 of 103
Message 14 of 103

I am having a similar issue.

When I was at home my wifi signal was fine, however when I came to work this morning it fails to even find the wifi. I have checked using my TF300 and it connects to the wifi fine.

The only messsage on the xperia z1 is "not in range" which is complete rubbish! I do not control the wifi, therefore cannot ask our IS guys to simply change the channel for me.

I have run a factory reset to no avail.

Running latest software version 14.1.G.1.534

Sony, please sort this mess out, my Galaxy S3 didn't have these problems.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 15 of 103
Message 15 of 103

Exact same problem SwitchTrix.

I came back from lunch to my office - couldn't find wifi network before I restarted the phone. I have also noticed that cellular ALSO drops out once in a while!

Also while I am actually able to connect, wifi drops out, and switches to cellular network for a moment. I am going to be a poor man in terms of data bills if this goes on...

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 16 of 103
Message 16 of 103

It sounds like the problem you're having is the same one as in this thread: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1/WiFi-Probelm-Can-t-see-network-when-every-other-device-can/t.... We have forwarded this for further investigation.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 17 of 103
Message 17 of 103

Great, Sony! But does this explain how it sometimes sees the network and sometimes don't? It suddenly drops out for 10 seconds and switches to cellular network, and then back. It is completely unstable. It doesn't matter what channel it's on for my part. And besides, I can't go to my neighbour or an airport and tell dem to change their router configuration to please the Z1... Also as mentioned, even cellular signal drops out from full coverage to 0 coverage for some seconds. (the bars with a red X over it).

To me it mostly seems like a software issue, but also when comparing signal strength over time side to side with other android phones, it comes out significantly lower than other, older models of various brands. Even iPhone.

Maybe the dropouts is caused from a common service managing all kind of radio based communication (since both wifi and cellular drops out now and then).

How long will it take to investigate and come up with a fix? If I wait too long for a fix, I fear that I will lose the ability to swap the phone if I wait too long. Should I take my chances?

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 18 of 103
Message 18 of 103

I have change from a S3 for the Z1...What a bad decision. NEVER Sony again. Its not serious 699 euros for that wifi issue...wake up Sony. with wifi analyser an Asus Memo Pad at 129 euros have mooore signal than your "mothership"...
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 19 of 103
Message 19 of 103

Change it Emmern. Monday i will do the same.
Highlighted
Message 20 of 103
Message 20 of 103

I change from note 2 to z1. My network can drop from Lte to no network. This is unbearable!! I can't join my house wifi too. Have to restart few times to connect to it! Please come out with a fix ASAP!