account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

"storage full" xperia automatic back up "could not back up"

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 11 of 24
Message 11 of 24

Re: "storage full" xperia automatic back up "could not back up"

@ezy

perhaps you have quite a bit of pictures/movies and that's why you can't create a new backup

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 12 of 24
Message 12 of 24

I had this error too. Just got my new Z5 and set up the backup to my Gmail which has 2gb used out of 15gb so there is no storage issue yet the backup function said there was insufficient space for what appeared to be the applications
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 13 of 24
Message 13 of 24

@sparklytom

Settings > storage > how many GB are your apps using up?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 14 of 24
Message 14 of 24

The error is in "automatic backup" and it says storage full but it isn't!
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 15 of 24
Message 15 of 24

Apps 6.87gb
Highlighted
ezy
Commissioner
Message 16 of 24
Message 16 of 24

mine did it again yesterday...  (it is set for "weekly" on sundays so this was the first time since last week it would error out)

again caused by "apps" 

so i have unclicked apps from the auto back up  (no idea what it backs up under apps but i am guessing music)

the weird thing is this never happened until the firmwar update 2 weeks ago...  never happened on x10, S, Z1 or the Z5 from launch day until then...  

I am also wondering if the latest firmware is a bit of a battery "a dictionary word that has been edited by the mod even though it appears in newspapers" .  

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 17 of 24
Message 17 of 24

I've got the same problem backing up to Google on my Z5C. I've only used 15% of my available storeage so it isn't this and like others it will back up if I uncheck apps.

Sounds like a software problem to me?

Highlighted
Learner
Message 18 of 24
Message 18 of 24

I have the same issue on 1 month old Z5C - as far as I can remember always had this error come up ever since first day / backup, not only since latest update:

In the Xperia Backup & restore menu it shows the following message:

Could not back up

Storage full

The following items are too large for the selected storage: Applications

Also get separate notification:

Not enough space

The following items could not be backed up: Applications

Items too large for the selected storage

Settings/Backup & reset/Xperia Backup & restore/Automatic backup/Where to store files: gmail / google account.

Same gmail / google account set as place to store files for manual back up -> same error message

Same gmail / google account set as backup account for the separate Google Backup & restore option (Settings/Backup & reset/Google Backup & restore/), just below the Xperia Backup & restore option.

Apps account for 4.91GB of total device memory of 32GB, of which 16.36GB is still availabe;

32GB SD card still has 23.81GB available;

Google Drive still has 85GB available.

More than enough storage space is actually available. Baffled by this strange error message.

Inhabitant
Message 19 of 24
Message 19 of 24

I think Z series ia so new that there is bugs what fixed on future updates. Ever new phone is bug free. Lets first wait marshmallow update
Highlighted
Learner
Message 20 of 24
Message 20 of 24

I assume you mean the Z5 series, in which case I agree.

Still, would be nice to have an official word from Sony.

Plus, the question I still have, though, is everything being backed up correctly, including apps?

BTW, any idea when the next Marshmallow release is for Sony? I understand for Samsung it's this month thru April, depending on device model...