account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

how to set SD card as default storage

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

how to set SD card as default storage

please help me, im getting irritated by the message telling me "disc full"
i need to make my external/SD card to be my default storage so that it can't be easily get full.
please, thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: how to set SD card as default storage

@jhongzkie

This can't be done, you should clear the app cache on apps such as

chrome, instagram, spotify, facebook, google photos, etc, to clear up some internal storage

Also move apps to the SD card. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Hi @jhongzkie,

Welcome to the community! Slightly smiling Face

As @uliwooly said you can't set your SD-card to be the default storage location for installed apps or downloaded files. You can move some data for your internal storage to your SD-card if you go to: Settings > Storage > Transfer data to SD card.

You can also set your SD card as the default storage for pictures and videos recorded with your own camera. To do so go to: Camera > Tap the cogwheel > More > Data storage > SD card.

There is also a great guide by @Emir on how to free up storage on your device you can check out for a few good tips! Slightly smiling Face

Let me know if this helps!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

i dont like moving some data or something, i need it as "default storage" if you know what i mean, we'll if there's no solution for this or this can't be done so i guess it's goodbye to my z3 then..

Highlighted
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

@jhongzkie wrote:

i dont like moving some data or something, i need it as "default storage" if you know what i mean, we'll if there's no solution for this or this can't be done so i guess it's goodbye to my z3 then..

You're aware that this was NEVER an option for any android device from that era though correct?

Setting SD as a default installation was only introduced with 6.0 and even then, most manufacturers realised that it was actually a really stupid idea to integrate your sd as internal storage, as:

1, speed wasn't guaranteed at a system wide level due to many, many crap cards out there.

2, the card would be part of a wider file system so you could only ever use it in that device, drop your phone, lose your history of photos 

3, when upgrading to new device, you could only backup manually instead of just hot swapping sd. 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

My problem is how do I set my sd card as default storage on my sony xperia.

Highlighted
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

@tshiamo-947

Read up. You can't.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Hi @tshiamo-947,

As @Quester pointed out, you cannot set your SD card as default storage. You can however move some information to your SD card. You will find instructions on how to do so in this thread!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Putting photos and video can have their own problems when deleting them through certain apps though.