account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z5 premium dead after today's OS update

SOLVED
Highlighted
Regular
Message 21 of 30
Message 21 of 30

Re: Z5 premium dead after today's OS update

I just got my phone back and they had to change the mainboard. No official reply yet to confirm this was related to the hardware, but I also don't expect one. Until an actual confirmed way of resolving this without changing the mainboard, I think it remains fair to say that some of us with particular hardware in our phones got shafted in the update. Still, as this obviously is a warranty issue, I have nothing but good things to say overall so no need to overexaggerate either. Make sure to backup your things, I suppose!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 22 of 30
Message 22 of 30

Hi,
The same thing haso happened to my partners Z5 today. He got a prompt for an update and after accepting, it began to update. The next time he looked at his phone it was dead and wasn't turning on.
We've tried holding down the power button and volume keys, the small off button for 20 and 120 seconds with a small object, took the sd card out, took them both out and charged it for 5 hours... still nothing.
When it's plugged in to charge it haseems a flashing red light to the top left.
Are there any other fixes for this or should we just send it off for repair?

Thankyou
Highlighted
Regular
Message 23 of 30
Message 23 of 30

@SarahF93 wrote:
Hi,
The same thing haso happened to my partners Z5 today. He got a prompt for an update and after accepting, it began to update. The next time he looked at his phone it was dead and wasn't turning on.
We've tried holding down the power button and volume keys, the small off button for 20 and 120 seconds with a small object, took the sd card out, took them both out and charged it for 5 hours... still nothing.
When it's plugged in to charge it haseems a flashing red light to the top left.
Are there any other fixes for this or should we just send it off for repair?

Thankyou

Sadly, you can assume that the phone will need to be sent to service. I haven't seen any other solutions and no alternative explanations to my earlier theory that this is related to having particular hardware in the phone and it failing as a result of the update. 

Commissioner
Message 24 of 30
Message 24 of 30

Is this why upgrades for Z5 series came to a total halt?
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 25 of 30
Message 25 of 30

Hi @SarahF93, welcome to our community!

I'm sorry to hear about that. Slightly frowning Face

As @CarlMagnus mentioned, it sounds like it's related to hardware, just to make sure it's not the software that is the cause of the troubles with powering on the phone I'd recommend that you try and perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

If you still can't power on the phone after the software repair has been completed, please get in touch with your Local support team so they can assist you with having the phone sent in to an authorized service centre.

Let me know how it works after the software repair!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 26 of 30
Message 26 of 30

Hi,
So basically we took his phone to his provider and thankfully it was still under warranty so they have sent it off for repair. They said it can be up to 10 days but since its Xmas it'll probably be longer.
Doesn't seem right that a new phone can just be rendered useless after one update thus becoming an expenaive paper weight.
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 27 of 30
Message 27 of 30

Hi again!

It's never fun to have to send your phone to service, and I fully understand his situation. Slightly frowning Face

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 28 of 30
Message 28 of 30

I also had to send my phone to the service center.

I got it back with a new mainboard.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 29 of 30
Message 29 of 30

THANK YOU!!! WORKED FOR ME

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 30 of 30
Message 30 of 30

Hi @Shoel, you're very welcome and I'm glad to hear that it's working now again! Slightly smiling Face

Let me know if there is anything else and have a great day!