account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z5 compact Messaging app is not working properly

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 31 of 40
Message 31 of 40

Re: Z5 compact Messaging app is not working properly

Hi guys,

FWIW, my wife bought the Z5 compact after I convinced her to switch to android, and her iphone got water damaged. I think I'll get a Sony for my next phone, too Slightly smiling Face

Everything was working great, SMS and hangouts messages with hangouts handling the SMS.

Then after importing 17,000 SMS using the transfer wizard from her iPhone local backup (and yes, I said "honey, that's a lot of messages! Are you sure you want to keep them all!?" But there's sentimental value as well as some legal reasons we may need them in future.).

After the transfer, SMS barely usable at all. Caused us much inconvenience and mucking around. Disabling SMS in Hangouts didn't work either.

Given Australia will probably be one of the last countries to get the OTA rollout of the new firmware, which is yet to be proven to address this problem (despite someone above saying it does, who really knows given that Sony didn't test it properly the first time), and then we'll have to wait another couple months for our carrier to pass on the OTA update after they've done their fiddling with it...  we thought we need to find a quicker temporary solution.

I can't confirm 100% yet as we need to do more testing, but good news, it appears that the Textra SMS app on the play store, a free SMS app, seems to work! This Textra app optimises the SMS database on the phone, and I wonder if that's the source of the long delay issues, receiving SMS 15 times, etc. So far so good! Will advise in a couple days how she's going with Textra. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra&hl=en 

Cheers

Talent
Message 32 of 40
Message 32 of 40

I'm in Oz, but bought the phone outright and have received the update OTA.
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 33 of 40
Message 33 of 40

@tom_72 wrote:

So far so good! Will advise in a couple days how she's going with Textra. 

Cheers

Yeah ...  no good Slightly frowning Face Turns out she's still not receiving all messages that she's supposed to receive, in any reasonable amount of time. Despite receiving one from me straight away and being able to reply to me straight away. Quite intermittent and difficult to determine when when not the issue occurs Slightly frowning Face

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 34 of 40
Message 34 of 40

@tom_72

If she had an iPhone before, the cause for this could be that she had iMessage enabled. When someone with an iPhone then sends her a message, that phone will not send her an SMS but instead an iMessage.

Try disabling iMessage from this link and see if that helps: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 35 of 40
Message 35 of 40

@Rickard wrote:

@tom_72

If she had an iPhone before, the cause for this could be that she had iMessage enabled. When someone with an iPhone then sends her a message, that phone will not send her an SMS but instead an iMessage.

Try disabling iMessage from this link and see if that helps: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Hi Rickard,

Thankyou for actually reading and responding to these posts :-)

That could well be the case. Her issues don't neccessarily seem to be restricted to Apple users texting her, but I'm sure it's a lot more convulted than what I can imagine. It's also difficult getting someone not technically minded to provide specific details of exactly what the issue is. Now she's telling me last night it had been working fine all day. However I'm not neccessarily convinced as one of her problems was not knowing whether or not messages had been sent and received in either direction, so I don't know how she's convinced it's working now.

In any case, the process we followed to transfer to the Z5 was this:

- She had two iPhones. An iPhone4 and a 5S. 5S got broken, so went back temporarily to the 4.

- Both were connected on WiFi, as well as her new Z5.

- We moved SIM to the Z5.

- We installed Sony software and began the PC Companion Transfer Wizard.

- We realised her iCloud wasn't working, so we backed up her iPhone 5S to local drive.

- We re-started the PC Companion Transfer Wizard and selected local backup.

- Transfer Wizard prompted us to disable iMessaging on all iDevices. We disabled iMessaging on both phones. Being connected to WiFi, I would have assumed that this would have sent a signal to Apple. But maybe we should have disabled iMessaging before backing up the iPhone 5S? I'm thinking this may have been our issue, perhaps I rushed through the process too quickly and missed reading something, as at " https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage " it states to transfer SIM to iPhone before disabling iMessage. 

In which case, may I please suggest that the PC Companion Transfer Wizard be very clear and highlighted that if you disable iMessaging on an iPhone, you must have the SIM card inserted in that device. I'm not an Apple user so this wasn't obvious to me. Just a suggestion to avoid human error, potentially what has happened to us, resulting in me wasting your time :-)

Now I've been to that link and followed the "no longer have your iPhone?" link to disable iMessages using the verification code process. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. Might not be back here for a week though as we have a baby due any minute! Hope the messaging works as she'll want to announce the baby to a hundred or more people via SMS - I suppose this will be a good test! :-D

Highlighted
Talent
Message 36 of 40
Message 36 of 40

@tom_72 wrote:

P.S. Might not be back here for a week though as we have a baby due any minute! Hope the messaging works as she'll want to announce the baby to a hundred or more people via SMS - I suppose this will be a good test! :-D

@tom_72

Congratulations in advance!

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 37 of 40
Message 37 of 40

@tom_72

Glad to hear that Slightly smiling Face Congratulations in advance!

I will forward your feedback regarding the information in PC Companion.

I'm not entirely sure how iMessage works but i believe the only reason Apple states that you should put the SIM-card back into the iPhone is that the phone needs a data connection to disable it. WiFi should work as well or you can always disable it using the website. You can disable it before or after the transfer, it's just that up until the point that it is disabled, you may not receive messages from iOS devices.

I understand it's a bit hard to say if she receives all messages or not. One way of checking could be that you and close friends enable delivery report for SMS for a while. That way you can see if she has received them or not.

But iMessage will not cause any issue for her sending messages from her phone. If sending of a message fails the phone will indicate that below the message. When there's a timestamp, it has been sent.

But what you may keep in mind is that i have heard of some networks not handling sending a message to a large amount of recipients at the same time. Not saying that it doesn't work but if she gets an error or something trying to send a message to 100 persons at the same time, try splitting that a bit to smaller groups.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Message 38 of 40
Message 38 of 40

Re: Hi! @xavinux I tried as you said. The problem is still pr...

Hi, im having a similar problem. I own a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium and my messaging app is freezing every time i go onto it. I cannot use it. I have rebooted in safemode and then it works, but i kind of want to use the messaging app when im not in safe mode. Any advice would be kindly appreciated. I'm also up to date on current patches and updates. 

Highlighted
Regular
Message 39 of 40
Message 39 of 40

Re: Hi! @xavinux I tried as you said. The problem is still pr...

Hi, Had same issue with messaging freezing uninstalled the latest Google Chrome update (from 5 days ago or so) and hey presto, all is well with messaging again.

Hth.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 40 of 40
Message 40 of 40

That solution appears to have worked for me - I am very happy with this phone and very pleased that this very tedious and frustrating issue has been solved.

Thank you for your help.

Jush