account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z5 Premium forced restart when inserting SIM

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Z5 Premium forced restart when inserting SIM

My Xperia Z5 Premium initiates shutdown automatically when I remove the SIM/SD card tray.

Also, when I insert a SIM card, it will always force a reboot within 10 seconds or so, regardless of which SIM I use, even brand new ones.

It had happened multiple times that after I inserted a SIM card, I made a call, and while the call was connecting, the "phone is shutting down" box pops up WITH the call connecting screen still going on in the background, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to end the call because the shutdown pop-up hogs the interface and won't let me control the screen at all.

I got quite a few complaints from my friends about me "prank calling" them because of this idiotic "feature".

Never had this nonsense with any other phones before. If this is Sony's engineers' idea of "protecting" the phone from accidental short circuits or misreading of the SIM or whatever, there should be plenty other ways of doing it without having to shut the phone off without warning, such as better hardware quality or software programming. This is simply a cheapskate shortcut from such a big corporation.

Hope this stupid issue would be resolved before the time comes for me and my friends to decide on our next phone purchase.

Just to clarify, there is no reboot loop. The phone only does this once after I insert a SIM. Nonetheless it is irritating enough.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Z5 Premium forced restart when inserting SIM

@IrritatedUser wrote:

My Xperia Z5 Premium initiates shutdown automatically when I remove the SIM/SD card tray.

Also, when I insert a SIM card, it will always force a reboot within 10 seconds or so, regardless of which SIM I use, even brand new ones.

It had happened multiple times that after I inserted a SIM card, I made a call, and while the call was connecting, the "phone is shutting down" box pops up WITH the call connecting screen still going on in the background, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to end the call because the shutdown pop-up hogs the interface and won't let me control the screen at all.

I got quite a few complaints from my friends about me "prank calling" them because of this idiotic "feature".

Never had this nonsense with any other phones before. If this is Sony's engineers' idea of "protecting" the phone from accidental short circuits or misreading of the SIM or whatever, there should be plenty other ways of doing it without having to shut the phone off without warning, such as better hardware quality or software programming. This is simply a cheapskate shortcut from such a big corporation.

Hope this stupid issue would be resolved before the time comes for me and my friends to decide on our next phone purchase.

Just to clarify, there is no reboot loop. The phone only does this once after I insert a SIM. Nonetheless it is irritating enough.

All smartphones when you removing sim card restarting, it's not issue Slightly smiling Face I can't understand why you need remove sim card so often (as i understand)? I inserted once and that's end... Only when i repairing smartphone sometime removing SD card, sim card for personal reasons. But remove always sim card i don't think is any smart reason Slightly smiling Face

By the way if smartphone freezing and ect is force shut down hole in side of smartphone, you can shut down it and start again Slightly smiling Face I don't understand your dissatisfaction of this feature if you don't know how to use your smartphone yourself Slightly smiling Face It's the same to root smartphone, to modify it and to say that Sony creating worst software Slightly smiling Face

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Re: Z5 Premium forced restart when inserting SIM

Every Sony Sealed devices restarts when insering/Removing SIM Card

-------------------------------------------------------
Xperia Z5 Premium (E6853) | Xperia Z1 (C6903)