account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 381 of 578
Message 381 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

I had this phone for 3 weeks and there's already a hairline crack that Sony said they won't repair! Check this FB site out, there's lots more people out there!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Xperia-Z-Cracked-Screens/370754419718137?fref=ts

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 382 of 578
Message 382 of 578

I have just had exactly the same problem, had the phone in my pocket like I have done for the last four months and found the phone did not work, I cannot unlock the phone or enter the PIN. On further investigation, after removing the screen protector, I noticed two hairline cracks coming from the  right hand side of the screen. The phone has never been dropped or bashed. Have been to the Vodafone shop and they have said they cannot do anything and it will cost £190 to repair. Have spoken to Sony and they have asked me to send it in so an engineer can 'assess' it. After looking at all of the blogs I am not confident they will resolve anything and I will be stuck with a useless phone with 18 months left on the contract...... If anyone has had any joy getting theirs fixed please can they let me know.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 383 of 578
Message 383 of 578

Sony you need to step forward and fix this issue. No damage to a phone other than a crack under the glass!!!!!!! Not dropped never even put in a pocket. I have babied this phone. I woke up took my phone off the charger turned it on and literally saw a crack appear under the glass while in my hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me. This is unreal. Personally I feel this is a faulty product You need to recall all of these phones and fix the issue. I love sony and I am dissapointed and I will never buy another phone from you all ever!

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 384 of 578
Message 384 of 578

Re: Sony ZR touchscreen glass broken

If your Xperia ZR was purchased after 15th September in India, it should cover any physical damage. Atleast thats what the Sony Technical support guy over the phone told me when i contacted for a similar screen crack issue. Since my phone was purchased in July they said i have to pay half the amount of the phone to get it replaced. SONY should consider all the ZR phones which such faults and replace it under warranty. Why such two way treatment for phones purchased after 15th Sept and for those who bought earlier. They should have all Xperia Z series phone covered under this warranty.

@Cancerian wrote:

Hello Arshad Aboobacker,

Sony xperia zr work fine for me but i dropped it once so its screen is full white now. some one told me that its display strip problem. but if you have problem with screen than its available on ebay. its cheap. and also i want to ask if you know how to fix another lcd in xperia ZR i have lcd for this model but i dont know how to fix, neither technican here knew.so kindly send me an email on altawseef@yahoo.com, if you have any idea about it.

Regards, 

Qasim.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 385 of 578
Message 385 of 578

Im so angry with sony and this phone.. ive had it for 3 months only. On th 6th of december I WAS MAKING A PHONECALL and the screen cracked.. just broke itself. After doing some research it seams there are thousands of other people with the same issue good luck if you buy this piece of rubbish . I now have to send it off to sony who are gonna tell me that some how it was my own fault even though I was using the phone for what it was intended for ..I.e phonecalls. What a load of rubbish !
Highlighted
Learner
Message 386 of 578
Message 386 of 578

https://www.facebook.com/sonymobileuk/posts/10151750002166372?comment_id=27926226&offset=0&total_com...

please post on this the complaint is under my name senga anita Blackmore and is on the left hand side of the page i have a complaint on there page and have posted loads of evidence on the page about the crack problem ths probably wont make any diffrence but im trying ! 

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 387 of 578
Message 387 of 578

Seems I'm adding my cracked phone issues to an epic tale of woe. My Xperia Z has been virtually unused today. Haven't dropped it, but the back of the phone has mysteriously cracked. Will need repairing but seems the cost is very high. Hoping Sony can repair under warranty as I've only had it a few months and there's no reason that it should've just cracked.
Highlighted
Learner
Message 388 of 578
Message 388 of 578

good luck im not holding much hope for mine ... after i have sent it to get assesed. if they fix it  bonus if they dont ill sell it for parts and buy a better phone than this piece of rubbish !

One time poster
Message 389 of 578
Message 389 of 578

Let me be the next person to add to the saga that is the Sony Xperia Z and the screen that just cracks.

As so many of you have put in this thread already, I too suffered the shock of pulling my recently purchased Xperia Z to see that the front screen had cracked even though it had done nothing that sit in the pocket of my jeans with no external force put onto it.

I have today mailed the Sony Customer Support here in Australia, but reading this forum makes me think that the response will be either none existent or one that says it is my fault and that I will have to pay what seems like 2/3rds the price of the actual phone to get it replaced.

As someone who has owned only Sony Ericcson / Sony handsets since owning a mobile phone to say I am disappointed in what has happened is an understatement. This is the first major defect I have had on any phone made by Sony and I hope that my issue will be resolved, but feel that I am going to be stuck with a $400AUD paperweight in which I am going to have to spend at least another $200 to get repaired / replaced.

I am happy to keep people updated with my fight, but feel already having read this forum and a few others like it that the news I will be posting will not be good news.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 390 of 578
Message 390 of 578

You can chalk another one on the board when it comes to the screen cracking on its own.

I was looking to buy a premium smartphone and have always been a fan of Sony because their game consoles and A/V equipment have always been great in my experience. The Sony Ericcson phones are a completely different story but I noticed the Xperia Z getting all these good reviews and thought maybe Sony have finally got it right.

I bought one outright in April for $600 Australian dollars from a retail chain called Harvey Norman. Loved it. It was fast, responsive, stylish and most importantly durable.. Or so I thought. This past Saturday I was at the park with my sister and nephew and went to pull my phone out of my pocket to take a photo. The screen wouldn't unlock- it was unresponsive. I thought "no matter, I'll just lock it and try and unlock it again".

When I did, I noticed a few nice hairline cracks starting in almost the exact same spot as the pics on the first page of the thread. A few went down to the bottom left of the screen and a few to the top left. How this could happen, I'll never know. The few times I've dropped it it's been completely unscathed and most of the time landed on the rubberized sides. The crack is actually beneath the glass, so there is obviously no signs of force or impact.

Took it to the Harvey Norman store I bought it from just then and the clerk told me this is the fourth Xperia Z phone that has had the exact same issue and that the store is actually in a bit of a squabble with Sony because they won't take responsibility for this defect. He went on to tell me they have decided to no longer sell them because of this.

They're ringing up Head Office and will get back to me this afternoon or tomorrow to arrange a refund or an exchange to a different phone (leaning towards a HTC One or Lumia 925).

Very disappointed with the XZ. I was expecting maybe 2 years of use before having to upgrade. Sony still haven't got it when it comes to phones. Will still be buying Sony A/V products in the future but will avoid their phones from now on.