account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Genius
Message 141 of 578
Message 141 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Indeed there are more reason than one about why toughened glass will crack. There may be internal defects or thermal from the phone that causes it. Need Sony to check with manufacturer for an answer.

indeed they are getting right on it - fingers crossed

I just wish I could help more on this thread- I hope the other 9 million owners are taking note

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 142 of 578
Message 142 of 578

I'll be phoning sony as soon as i can, i was on a call, and the phone got hot, (which is nothing unusual for my z) put it in my pocket and thought it would sort itself out like it normally does, took it out just before getting in my car to go home from work and it was cracked, crack starts from just above the power switch, across the screen in two sections. (will upload pics once i get a camera as i use my phone as a camera,,,,) i can't afford for them to say it's not covered under warrenty, but we're keeping your phone for further tests... never had this happen before, and the protective screen it still intact.

sony really need to look into this.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 143 of 578
Message 143 of 578

Picture of mine before I sent it back to Sony showing hairline crack

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n134/pontinst/DSC_0073_zpse0bf7e37.jpg

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 144 of 578
Message 144 of 578

Unfortunately my front and rear glass have broken too...  Similar to a lot of you guys - hairline cracks across the screen - no drops or excessive loading, no wearing tight jeans or putting the phone in my back pocket.

I have phone insurance, but if I get it repaired through the insurance I have to pay a £25 excess which isn't so bad, but I shouldn't really have to pay at all...  One question, if I do have the insurance company repair it will the Sony warranty still be valid for any future issues?? 

EDIT - Image attached of front screen cracks, it may be difficult to see but it is there.... Crack started above the front facing camera and went accross to the bottom of the USB flap, hours later a second crack then went from the same start point accross to the middle of the volume button. You cannot feel any part of the crack including the site from where it initiated from, no damage to the screen protector or the bezel around the screen....

XperiaZ_Screen_Crack.jpg

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 145 of 578
Message 145 of 578

Hi craines,

Sorry to hear that!.

I personally have insurance but will not be claiming on it. Principle of sony and their lack of commitment to customers.

I think we have established that Sony's warranty is pretty much non existant so i wouldnt hold your breathe on that one

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 146 of 578
Message 146 of 578

Thanks,  I am tempted to take the same stance, though there is no way I can afford to pay for the repairs myself..  I also do not have a phone to work with my current contract as a replacement whilst messing around with trying to get Sony to repair it at their own cost.

What is your plan of action then, continue to try to get Sony to pay for it??  What if they will not??

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 147 of 578
Message 147 of 578

off course we must fight back this screwing policy of xperia z is tatally unacceaptable they will have to change it.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 148 of 578
Message 148 of 578

My handset is also insured, but i don't see why I should pay the £50 excess. Also the insurance company wouldn't be very happy with me/sony if I explained I didn't break it myself.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 149 of 578
Message 149 of 578

almost the same place as craines crack. IMAG0301.jpg

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 150 of 578
Message 150 of 578

I have just chased Sony about my phone as I have not heard anything for 5 days. The operator told me that I have been sent a quotation in the post as the phone is beyond ecenomic repair but could not tell me how much this is. Its strange as Phones4U repair centre quoted me for a new screen the same as others have been in this thread so why is mine beyond ecenomical repair is there more to the damage than the hairline crack as in the picture I posted? Or do Sony want my phone back as its a witnissed crack for testing. Ill update when I receive the quotation.