account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 61 of 578
Message 61 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Wow nice link! I didn't know such a thing existed but that really is what I thought and I really am confident I didn't damage the phone myself in anyway. I spoke to Sony on live chat earlier and they said the need to have the handset to examine it. If they find no fault then I'll be charged £10 handelling fee. I don't know what to do as I don't know how they can check I'm telling the truth.

What do you guys think?

Highlighted
Genius
Message 62 of 578
Message 62 of 578

I'm not going to join sides here and wish you all the best getting your phone sorted ....... but

That article you posted is very obviously referring to glass of industrial building household class of toughened glass - it is not related to dragon or gorilla glass types found in mobile devices

I'm not saying that defects don't occur during manufacture indeed installation but I find that senario highly unlikely

I read these types of threads with interest as I also have an EZ and would not like to be in a sistuation of having to repair my device for breaks in the panels front or back

there is a long history of glass breaking on mobile devices going back to the very first iphones - this glass is tough but I'm also under no illusion that given the right knock it will break - I've seen an EZ being run over by a car and survived but I also believe that a knock in a particular way will likely cause damage

Is there a possible defect causing some of these breakages ?   well I would have no idea but I'm also aware that  proving such a thing to Sony would be extremely difficult

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 63 of 578
Message 63 of 578

Hey GeoffH, no one should bite your head off for you putting your opinion forward! I certainly will not. I think your right regarding the implied application of the glass in the article, I'm just hoping some of it might apply here. Your last point is indeed my greatest concern, proving to Sony I didn't break it by accident. Which is why I'm not sure to bother sending it off or not.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 64 of 578
Message 64 of 578

Do not agree with you at all. Glass is still glass. Even Corning do not warranty their Gorilla Glass as unbreakable. Their latest Gorilla Glass 3 cracks on the 3rd drop. See link:  http://www.neowin.net/news/galaxy-s4-drop-test-shows-cornings-gorilla-glass-3-is-still-not-impact-re.... What I suspect is that out of let's say 100 tempered glass, 2-5 would be defective. You can't tell it just by looking but over time, the heat generated by the phone will build pressure on the glass and soon enough, it will crack. The shutterprove film is actually to further enhance the toughness but sadly, I think Sony XZ is not made of the top most quality. You can do your own research and notice that similarly designed phone like iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 has the sane issue. But N4 do have more reports of spontaneous glass break. You pay for what you get, but the least Sony can do is look at this issue and I believe they would be able to distinguish abuse from defects.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 65 of 578
Message 65 of 578

Bearings schrieb:

See link:

Sorry, but these so called "Tests" on youtube are useless, none of the testers has a standardized build up.

Maybe the S4 has more reports, lets take a look an the Number of sales:

Xperia Z - 4,6 Millions in 40 Days

S4 - 4 millions in 4 Days

You see what i mean?

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 66 of 578
Message 66 of 578

Forgot one Thing:

Even with completely shattered glass works the S4 perfect - the Z, with just a crack, does not!

Genius
Message 67 of 578
Message 67 of 578

I'm so happy you have found something  - be careful with that Samsung - it is actually glass also - good luck and bye bye

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 68 of 578
Message 68 of 578

You are right, i have found something that is a lot better/tougher than the Z, it has Android 4.2 (without Months of begging to the Manufacturer), a much better Camera, the Battery holds more than 2 Times longer, G-Glass 3 and hey, when the G-Glass breaks - the Phone still works absolutely fine. Smiling Face with open mouth & closed Eyes

It´s just 1 Point that speaks for the Z:

Design! The Z is for me the best looking Phone on the Market.

Now make it better Sony, maybe i come back to you when you learned to hold what you promised!

Highlighted
Genius
Message 69 of 578
Message 69 of 578

don't be dropping that samsung telephone in the big white telephone - it leaks lol

glad you're sorted - can we assume you're going to bend another ear for the next few weeks Winking Face

regards........plop

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 70 of 578
Message 70 of 578

A very adult answer to clear facts, this is almost like an apple forum, you have my respect! Winking Face

Sorry for writing my opinions and experiences and not being a fanboy of any manufacturer. Dizzy Face

Don't worry, if the s4 has flaws I will write as well in a samsung forum.