account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z - Screen going completely blank during call

Highlighted
Message 61 of 71
Message 61 of 71

Re: Xperia Z - Screen going completely blank during call

Same here,my z5 worked fine until last night I updated it and on a call I can do nothing,screen is black until the other party disconnects, I can't put speaker etc on,nothing,very annoying,I accidentally foned a mate today,it rang and rang,( he didn't answer) could do nothing until his answer service ran out of time,help???
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 62 of 71
Message 62 of 71

I downloaded an app which recalibrates the settings on the proximity sensor and it resolved the issue for me. Good luck.
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 63 of 71
Message 63 of 71

Have the same problem on my Z5.

Has been on repair 3 times now which equals more than month in total.

No one seems to be able to fix it! Sony provides no help.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 64 of 71
Message 64 of 71

I had the same problem with my new Z5, I did a software reload and although it hasn't cured the problem completely, it's helped. I talked to Sony technical and they said that it might be problems with the proximity switch. I went through the test procedure and the proximity switch didn't work - it was showing permanently on but doing nothing. After the software reload it does. Here's how to test it - from the Phone [call] screen type  *#*#7378423#*#* and then select Service Tests and then select Proximity Switch. The screen should show it 'off'
When you move your hand over the top of the display, the device should detect this, the screen shows 'on' and vibrates. It should vibrate until your hand has moved away from the handset.

cheers

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 65 of 71
Message 65 of 71

Exact same issue on my Z5. The screen protector started to lift in the top right corner and some dirt got under it. Removed the screen protector and problem resolved!

Adviser
Message 66 of 71
Message 66 of 71

Same thing happens to me. Initially it was a screen protector, but apparently even th slightest smudge can trigger this problem. Since I keep my phone in a protective hard case that doesnt cover the camera this issue is made even worse since the ONLY way to resolve is to take the case apart and clean with sterile wipes and even then it's only resolved temporarily and there's no warning before it happens again.

If i double tap the power button the camera app opens on the screen, but switching to the phone app to try to either hang up or go into speaker mode makes it go black again.

Between the power bugs with the Z2 tablet and the new bugs with the Z5 premium Im thinking the only good sony mobile device was the z1 tablet and Im probably going to avoid importing sony phones in the future. It's obviously simple firmware issues that can be fixed, but instead of actually fixing these issues they just put all their effort into the next device. 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 67 of 71
Message 67 of 71

Thanks for that. My screen has a small crack just at that point.... by just touching it I can now see the screen whilst calling. It was driving me bonkers.

@Rutendo wrote:
I had this problem and it's nothing to do with software or apps as I followed advice on forum. It's the screen protector that covers the sensor. On the phone to the right of the Sony logo is an oblong and circle shape. If those are exposed it should resolve the problem as it has for me. I have just cut out that bit of the screen protector now. I was ready to send the phone back

Thanks

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 68 of 71
Message 68 of 71

This is really helpful and it works..thank you
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 69 of 71
Message 69 of 71

I've the same problem on-going for a couple of months.  I don't have a screen protector as thought that this was the cause.  

Today I did a factory reset and it seems to have cured the problem.  

Highlighted
Learner
Message 70 of 71
Message 70 of 71

Dear friends me also faced similar problem when I calling time display light is not working but I find out a solution go to settings - about phone - diagonostic option select- test option -select Ear proximity option and keep ur phone near to year in flat if it vibrating it will work or keep ur in flat place like floor and take it back.