account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Updated my z5 to 7.1.1 and i now cant get any network signal.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Updated my z5 to 7.1.1 and i now cant get any network signal.

Hi all.

Just a heads up. This is going to be a bit of a long story. 

I updated my xperia z5 to the new 7.1.1 software n I now cant receive or pick up any network from any mobile network in Victoria, Australia.

Initially tried differnt sim cards from different carriers but was still the same.

No network n couldn't get one at all.

Put the sim cards into my wife's iPhone and it works straight away. 

My phone seems to works fine on wifi and I haven't had any problems with apps or any wifi capable apps but phone, sms and data via mobile network doesn't work at all, basically coz theres just no network signal getting picked up even when I'm under a mobile tower.

Was going to get a new phone from another provider as my service provider didn't know what to do and wasn't willing to help in anyway and my phone just passed its 2 year Manufacturers warranty.

Here's the good but also the crappiest bit.

I went to another service provider to initially get a new phone but the sales guy managed to get it working by manually entering the apn n it worked for while but after about a day it lost its signal again.

Once again I re entered the apn even tho the initial apn the sales guy entered was still there, it wasn't picking up signal, so I played around with the settings like the sales guy showed me n managed to get it working again but after each time I do this, it drops out quicker n quicker and after several times the phone now hasn't had network for about 3weeks or more now.

So the update has basically turned my perfectly functional phone into a brick.

Sony let me either back Date my phone to the previous software or fix this issue as I feel like this has been done intentionally to make get a new phone as it didn't happen straight away but there was nothing that happened to the phone to cause this issue except for the update  and the phone is perfectly fine before the update which was constantly pushed into my phone and notifications n refused multiple times but was in my notifications constantly untill it was downloaded accidentally when my phone was in my pocket and once the 7.1.1 software was uploaded prior to installing it, it slowed my phone down to a point where it would literally take 5 mins to make a phone call n making it totally useless basicallh forcing me to updated it with supposedly better software and bug fixes as i couldn't delete the update but the update has now turned my phone into a wifi only lump of glass n aluminum.

Please do the right thing by a very loyal sony customer.

My wife has recently bought me the xperia xz premium as a surprise as she knew how much I loved my Sony z5 but I'm now unwilling to update it and have the same issue happene again.

But also I'm not impressed with this new phone as some of the features that made the Sony z5 so good are no longer on the phone and the apn also had to be manually uploaded into the phone to get mobile data working but and the reception on this phone is worse that the z5 when it was working so I'm extremely upset n feel scammed but a company I trusted for so many years.

Please make this right.

Regards.

Nigel

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Updated my z5 to 7.1.1 and i now cant get any network signal.

Hi @Nigel05, welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear about your experience. Slightly frowning Face

I represent Sony Mobile Australia and I can not find any case in relation to the issues you have described with your details. Have you contacted us yet about this?

We are not aware of any specific network issues in the Xperia Z5 with Android 7.1.1. Among your troubleshooting, did you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion? In most cases, when you experience an issue after an update, the software repair process often resolves it. So, if you have not done it yet, I recommend you give it a try. Make sure you backup using Xperia Companion first.

Sony Mobile Australia do offer a 24 month warranty on Australian devices purchased from authorised Sony Mobile resellers, which the carriers are. If you would like us to assess your device for you we will be more than happy to do so but please be aware that if you have downgraded your firmware your warranty on this handset may be void.

Please contact us if you want to discuss this further. We will be more than happy to arrange a repair assessment if necessary.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Hi CameronT,

Thanks for quick response.

The software repair was pretty much the first thing I did iirc when the issue started happening.

Also downgrading my firmware is something I have definitely not done as I'm not even sure as to how to do it lol.

Currently I'm not sure if I'm past my 24month warranty but the phone is definitely beyond my knowledge of phone repairs so ill be sure to send in an enquiry to Sony to have a look at the phone and hopefully fix it for me.

Thanks.

Nigel

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

If u phone z5 dual..try to change sim card to sim 2 tray..

After update 7.1 sim 1 cant get 4g or 3g signal

Highlighted
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

A years ago I buy a Xperia E4 unlocked. This was be rooted and lost all provider configuration, at the end my provider reconfigured  it. This solve the problem.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the replys n help.

To Vikri,

Sorry, my phone isn't the dual Sim but I have tried different Sims n Sim trays from my friends xperia z5 and other networks but it didn't help.

To Richard nosy.

I took my phone to my provider but they just told me to try different Sim cards and if it didn't work it's my phone which I did and that was all the help they provided.

Considering their lack of help n care factor they are no longer going be my network provider once my contract is over. Lol

I went to another provider and was just looking for a new phone but the salesman was extremely helpful and that was exactly what he did.

They reset or re entered the network settings and the phone started working again but after a day or so it stopped.

I re entered the setting he entered into the phone (altho the settings were still in the phone). And went through a few other things he did and I read on this forum to try n get it working again n changing from 4g back to 3g restarting the phone then changing back to 4g n restarting got it working again but it wasn't a perminant fix. After a few hours or so it stopped working again.

Thanks for the replys n help everyone.

I will be calling or chatting with Sony tech support when I get a chance to. It's been crazy busy at work n haven't had a chance to call or chat to them during they're working hours. 😂 

Ps. Funny thing was when I first got my xperia xz premium, it didn't have data for the first day or so but had reception for calls n sms, so I checked and corrected some of the network settings and it's been fine ever since.

Its been telling me to update but after my last experience with updating I might leave it for a while until my z5 is back up and running just incase I need to use it as a back up. Lol

Thanks again.

I'll let u guys know how I go n will let u know how to fix it if it gets fixed. Which I'm sure it can be as it's not a physical issue but more of a programming issue of some sort. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

@Nigel05,

it sounds like you have tried everything we would recommend. The Xperia Z5 was release in Australia less than 24 months ago, it was October/November 2015 I believe, so you should still be within the warranty period. Please contact us when you get a chance and we will book it in for you. Make sure you have a copy of your proof of purchase available as we will require this for warranty purposes.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

I do have the same problem, after updating my Z5 dual sim phone with the latest android version 7.1.1  i have no network signal at all. I did software repair through pc companion, i also did factory reset but still i don't have network signal.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

I did a factory reset, replaced my simcard and then submitted the device for repair as a final step since it was still under warranty. They did a boardswap and still the signal is bad.

This must be a software issue.

It's also strange that once you start calling you suddenly get almost all bars.

I'm going to upgrade this year, but unless this gets resolved I won't be buying Sony anymore.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

I have the same issue....and it cannot find any 3G networks to connect to since the update....

It connects to 4G....it connects to 2G....but can't seem to find any 3G network in any search....and as my luck would have it...I'm stationed at a place with only 3G coverage :/

Is there any way to roll back to the old Nougat version which was working perfectly fine.

I'm really pissed off with all the time I'm wasting trying to get it fixed.