account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

T9 keyboard on 4.3

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 21 of 44
Message 21 of 44

Re: T9 keyboard on 4.3

Totally agree with everyone. one of the reasons I've stuck with Sony is for the keyboard/messaging. Was dissappointed when I realised the z1 compact didn't support t9. Shouldn't be to much to ask to bring back t9 option in the future...some of us have big fingers you know

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 22 of 44
Message 22 of 44

I found a work-around for this - it's not perfect and a little slower than what you might be used to with the old T9 keyboard -

Go into Settings > Language & input > 

Under keyboard and input methods > click on Default and select the Xperia Chinese keyboard

Once selected, click on the "settings' icon next to the Xperia Chinese keyboard in the list

Then click English text input settings

> change the Portrait keyboard option to 'Phonepad' (and you can also change the Landscape keyboard to 'Phonepad' if you want)

Once you have done all of this -

Go into any text app to type - if the QWERTY keyboard comes up at first - click on the 'CN' key next to the microphone to change to T9...

From there on you can use the T9 keyboard again - it's not 100% - but it works.

(And no, it won't try to type in Chinese....Slightly smiling Face

If you don't like using that - the Super Keyboard app on Google Play store is the best T9 app I could find that is the closest to the old T9 keyboard.

REALLY stupid that Sony has made things so difficult!!!

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 23 of 44
Message 23 of 44

I cant belive its right what I am reading I have been looking forward to get the Compact instead of my Arc which i love, but with no T9 its a dealbreaker unfortunately I know a lot of people using T9 who wont or cant use qwerty
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 24 of 44
Message 24 of 44

i found the t9 keyboard. The chinese xperia keyboard still has t9 keyboard. From toggle it to english language, then phonepad. Then its the new updated t9 keyboard

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 25 of 44
Message 25 of 44

And how does it work in not english ??
Highlighted
Message 26 of 44
Message 26 of 44

If you use the Chinese input you can change it to english. So surely it shouldn't be hard for sony to incorperate t9 phonepad back in to the international keypad (in portrait mode)?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 27 of 44
Message 27 of 44

Anyone seen a 12 keys square you can click under xperia keyboard`?

I just update my xperia M, after be afraid off lose the t9. And its in there still. Grinning Face

Anyone wanna check it out?

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 28 of 44
Message 28 of 44

T9 is back! Update the Xperia keyboard from Google play store.
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 29 of 44
Message 29 of 44

Smiling Face with Heart-eyeswoohoo finally then i can buy the compact again

Highlighted
Message 30 of 44
Message 30 of 44

What is it true? I can't belive it i hope it's Tru then I be so happy :-D