account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

System UI stops after 6.0 update

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adept
Message 51 of 127
Message 51 of 127

Re: System UI stops after 6.0 update

Based on the user feedbacks so far, the “System UI has stopped” issue with Z5 can be the consequence of several root causes.

UPDATE, Fingerprint Sensor related:

In Service Menu (i.e.: having dialled *#*#7378423#*#*): Service tests/Fingerprint Test

Sometimes "Sensor not OK", sometimes "Sensor OK" is displayed. On android 5.1.1, the quick-5-vibration issue or the Fingerprint Manager issue always came with a "Sensor not OK". And also vice versa, when the fingerprint is recognized, "Sensor OK" was displayed in the Service Menu. Reproducibly. It seems to be a hardware issue (Or a firmware issue).

In 6.0 the "Fingerprint hardware not available" message in the lock screen comes with "Sensor not OK" in the Service Menu. The „Unfortunately, System UI has stopped.” error appears only after the phone was restarted in a "Sensor not OK" fingerprint sensor state.

Temporary workaround #1: wait until the "Fingerprint hardware not available" message disappears (it may be speeded up by some weak tapping around/behind the sensor), then restart the device in this state when the Fingerprint Sensor is working.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Fingerprint-scanner-issues/m-p/109897...

Temporary workaround #2: a Factory reset or Repair with PCC, but after the automatic updates the same issue will occur again.

@SONY: Is there any updates on your side? What is the result of the analysis of the logs and bugreports I sent to you for the developers? When will you make the fix available to the public?

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 52 of 127
Message 52 of 127

Re: System UI dead after Marshmallow update

I am having the same issue as this user. I tried booting in safe mode but I still get the sytem UI error. Please help!

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 53 of 127
Message 53 of 127

I've encountered this problem too. I have repaired my phone twice via Xperia Companion and PC Companion. Unfortunately, the problem still occurs. I have to restart my phone more than ten times to get it work again. (Restart to "safe mode" doesn't solve the problem either.) It was really frustrating.

I won't restart my phone from now on.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 54 of 127
Message 54 of 127

I'm having the same issue. This is literally the most ridiculous thing, and it doesn't look like there's a clear answer to fix it

A software update creating bugs this serious rendering a phone practically unusable is embarrassing, considering the pricetag and specs that it boasts.

Can someone from Sony please, in clear instructions, spell out how to get our phones back to a working state as soon as possible?

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 55 of 127
Message 55 of 127

Upgraded to MM this evening, started getting error messages saying play issues, tried re-starting the phone and haven't been able to get past my system UI has stopped. My phone is basicaly a brick. Looking forward to a fix, this is terrible!!

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 56 of 127
Message 56 of 127

Have the same issue here after upgrading to MM 6.0 today ... this is totally unacceptable to release an update and brick everyones phone. Has Sony even acknowledged there is problem here .... do they actually even read these boards? I would suggest everyone call their 1-800 number and let the know just how wide spread this issue is.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 57 of 127
Message 57 of 127

let me add my frustrated voice to the above replys. My phone started with the google play warning, and now is on system ui stopped

Highlighted
Learner
Message 58 of 127
Message 58 of 127

I've updated to MM today and I'm having and Google play store doesn't work...neither fb messenger...and has sent other apps to my SD card... Try to reboot the phone but nothing change....
Highlighted
Learner
Message 59 of 127
Message 59 of 127

Did somebody got an answer from Sony???
One time poster
Message 60 of 127
Message 60 of 127

I have never imagined myself would create an account on Sony forum just to rant about this, but here I am, $600 and MM after. I was excited about the update and I was let down. My phone used to restart all by itself randomly because of some mysterious reasons so I thought this new update would fix it. Wrong! Now I am stuck with a brick and my job requires a cell phone. My family and I have been a big fan of Sony for their quality, that we expected everything single thing comes out from them would be the number 1 in the market. The phone runs hot 80% of the time, battery lasts a day at most, random errors here and there. What is so special about the specs if your phone does not just work properly. If this does not get fixed quickly, I am giving my business to your neighbors.