account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

System UI stops after 6.0 update

SOLVED
Highlighted
Regular
Message 21 of 127
Message 21 of 127

Android 6.0 System UI has stopped

I did the update to Marshmellow last week (Bulgaria, Telenor Mobile Provider).

From the first restart I started to get a warning that Googe Play Service need to be udpated.

When I press Google Play Store I got this error: Google play store has stopped, so effectively I was unable isntall applications anymore.

I read a few discussins and I tried to clear the cache for Google services and Reset the Applications settings... Now I have:

"Unfortunately, System UI has stopped"... The phone is dead and tottaly unsable.

So update at you own risk.

Bottom line with this phone first I have a hardware issue: people are hearing echo when calling me, totally unusable as a phone.

Second after waiting 3 months for an update the phone is now dead after a simple software update.

As a long time consumer of SONY prodcuts now I must say: RUN, RUN, RUN as far away as possible from products with this name stamped on it.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 22 of 127
Message 22 of 127

Re: System UI stops after 6.0 update

I had the same problem. I used xperia companion to repair my device and it went fine after 5 attempts. However, after less than an hour and before trying to install my apps, the system crashed again!

Thinking that is now easy I tried to repair using the same method. The system repair engine is not starting! it initializes goes over 70 percent and then back to like 10%. This is hillarious!!!

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 23 of 127
Message 23 of 127

At least, try to flash your exact FW with Flashtool, following this guide provided by the talented guys Xperiablog.net

One day, I remembered to have a bug, and I had solved it through Flashtool  because Software Repair wasn't capable to resolve it Winking Face

http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/03/12/install-xperia-marshmallow-using-flashtool-and-xperifirm-guide/

Adept
Message 24 of 127
Message 24 of 127

"Repairing" by the Companion is neither a nice nor a real final solution:

- all internal storage files (photos) will get lost;

- the issue may appear again, also with the reinstalled 6.0 software. (I tried reinstallation with the Companion, and also with the Flashtool, result is the same: installation is succesful, but after some automatic updates/restarts, same "System UI stoppes" issue appears).

Somehow this might be a coincidence of:

-the latest update of the Google Play Services (8.7.03 [2645110-448]: March 9, 2016 arm64 + arm Android 6.0+ 480dpi), as it is more recent than Sony's 6.0 itself (i.e. it could not have been tested together, and this issue appeared only after the automatic update of Google Play Services)

- some software/hardware issue with the Fingerprint Scanner (the exception below occurrs together in the error log file)

A Sony expert should check and analyze this (I can send the full logs, also a BugReport to Sony if required).

W/FingerprintService( 1000): android.os.DeadObjectException
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at android.os.BinderProxy.transactNative(Native Method)
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at android.os.BinderProxy.transact(Binder.java:503)
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at android.hardware.fingerprint.IFingerprintServiceLockoutResetCallback$Stub$Proxy.onLockoutReset(IFingerprintServiceLockoutResetCallback.java:84)
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at com.android.server.fingerprint.FingerprintService$FingerprintServiceLockoutResetMonitor.sendLockoutReset(FingerprintService.java:775)
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at com.android.server.fingerprint.FingerprintService.notifyLockoutResetMonitors(FingerprintService.java:604)
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at com.android.server.fingerprint.FingerprintService.resetFailedAttempts(FingerprintService.java:311)
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at com.android.server.fingerprint.FingerprintService.access$000(FingerprintService.java:90)
W/FingerprintService( 1000): at com.android.server.fingerprint.FingerprintService$3.run(FingerprintService.java:147)

D/AndroidRuntime(11111): Shutting down VM
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): Process: com.android.systemui, PID: 11111
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'long com.fingerprints.system.FpcD.legacyDbPreUpgradeNative()' on a null object reference
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1615)
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1558)
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): at com.fingerprints.service.ILegacyFingerprint$Stub$Proxy.preUpgrade(ILegacyFingerprint.java:94)
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): at com.fingerprints.service.LegacyFingerprint.preUpgrade(LegacyFingerprint.java:55)
E/AndroidRuntime(11111): at com.android.keyguard.KeyguardAbsKeyInputView.startFingerprintDBMigration(KeyguardAbsKeyInputView.java:367)

D/ActivityManager( 1000): New dropbox entry: com.android.systemui, system_app_crash, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
W/ActivityManager( 1000): Process com.android.systemui has crashed too many times: killing!

From BugReport:
V SecuritySettings: No fingerprint hardware detected!!
W FingerprintService: Failed to open Fingerprint HAL!
V FingerprintService: Fingerprint HAL id: 0

Highlighted
Adept
Message 25 of 127
Message 25 of 127

Seems to be related to a former 5.1.1 Fingerprint issue: Z5 Fingerprint management closing

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 26 of 127
Message 26 of 127

I'm very sorry to hear that Slightly frowning Face

This has been forwarded internally but i'm afraid i don't have any information on what could cause it and how it can be solved. I will update this thread as soon as i have more information.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 27 of 127
Message 27 of 127

I also experienced the same problem "unfirtunately, system UI has stopped" after upgarding to MM on my Z5 Compact. At first phone started to report Play Store issue, that after clearing the cache and reboot I got aforementioned error.

I am stuck with this as I do not use Windows and I am on business trip. Good that I have my trusty Jolla(SailfishOS) device with me!

Really SONY/Google should address this kind of issues.

PS. I never rooted my phone and never installed SW outside Play Store. I switched from Linux devices and I found by experience that Android is way inferior OS although years of development and billions of dollars poured into it..

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 28 of 127
Message 28 of 127

I have the exact same problem. After the update I put in my PIN, it says 'Unfortunately System UI has stopped working' then brings me back to the lock screen, so I can't unlock the Z5, I can't access it or use it at all. I'm quite pissed to be honest, but I love the phone and all of the Sony phones so I'm not giving up on you guys at Sony, please fix this.

Highlighted
Message 29 of 127
Message 29 of 127

Have you contacted Sony Lokal Support?

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 30 of 127
Message 30 of 127

no, I have just been looking here and trying the software repair using Xperia Companion. It is currently in the 'repairing your Xperia device' stage and it's going quite slowly.