account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Self cracking front glass on Xperia Z5 Compact

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 71 of 108
Message 71 of 108

Re: Self cracking front glass on Xperia Z5 Compact

Hello!

By next week, I will purchase my 3rd Sony Xperia phone,

which is the Xperia Z5 compact

Whenever I buy a phone I always install a tempered glass right ahead (Except for my Lumia 520)

cause I'm not guaranteed that i can protect the screen cause I'm putting it on my pocket or 

putting it inside my Mini bag with my wallet in it,

Will installing a tempered glass reduce the chances of this case?

Oh yeah, I'm living here in the Philippines, and the temperature currently

going 35-37 Celcius because it's summer season in our country

I'm posting this, if temperature relates the case also.

Highlighted
Message 72 of 108
Message 72 of 108

I just purchased a Sony Xperia Z5 and the screen has just cracked on it's own, I picked it up to use it and there it was.. it's also cracked through the camera, was told that I had to pay for a replacement.. $290 due to it being the waterproof version only 1 or 2 repair centres in Sydney can do it. Extremely dissapointed JB Hi Fi, they refused to offer a warranty, have had the phone less than a week, now know why everybody buy's iphones and other apple products, their customer service is 2nd to none.  JB Hi Fi accused me of dropping it, anyone got any suggestions, should I go to Fair Trading?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 73 of 108
Message 73 of 108

Is your Z5 the 5.2 inch one not the compact stated here?

Highlighted
Message 74 of 108
Message 74 of 108

yes 5.2 inch one not the Compact

I've just filed an on-line complaint on the JB Hi-Fi website, the area manager got in touch with me within minutes and we are now in the process of resolving the problem, he's offered to pay for the repair of the phone... I'll return here with the outcome....

Highlighted
Message 75 of 108
Message 75 of 108

@xperiaz5owner wrote:

..... Extremely dissapointed JB Hi Fi, they refused to offer a warranty, have had the phone less than a week, now know why everybody buy's iphones and other apple products, their customer service is 2nd to none...

Apple would not replace or fix for free, any phone on earth with a broken display.

Let's not forget they sold a phone that had signal dropouts when held in your hand..... And then told customers that they were "holding it wrong"

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 76 of 108
Message 76 of 108

I Hope I won't have this Issue when I bought one Next week,

I'm never looking any other phone other than an Xperia, cause when I'm buying my own phone, I can't really feel the excitement on buying a Samsung,LG, or iPhone.

Anyways, I know Microsoft Windows Phone but hey didn't you know

the Microsoft Store here has a warranty that includes Body damages and Screen cracks

and If the Phone is un-usable they can replace your phone with a new one

Wish Sony Mobile has that kind of customer service.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 77 of 108
Message 77 of 108

I thought I might chime in here after a very disappointing experience with the Sony Compactr Z5c.

Bought it in December, was on holidays. During a text conversation some letters weren't working. Then noticed after going back to home screen that a secion of the bottom of the screen was not working. Couldn't workout why so pressed harder thinking it might be a touch issue. Looking at the phone from different angles I noticed a hair-line crack. The phone had been working when I was texting then it became unresponsive.

I then sent the phone to SBE, the Sony repair centre in Ireland. They advised that the crack was due to dropping/ damage. Refused to repair for free - wanted €135.00, they suggested I contact Sony directly to dispute. Wrote to Sony to complain of the build & design quality advising that product was not fit for purpose if it should crack so easily doing what it is meant to do. They would not hear it - advised it was down to abuse. This charrade went on until April 2016 - back and forth. My arguement was that as 'the most handled device in the world' is a phone surely it should withstand daily use such as texting and indeed it should be robust enough to withstand damage being dropped or other as opposed to being thrown as it is a handled device and show me anybod in the world EVER that has not dropped a phone. It all didn't matter, the poor quality design was irrelevant, the self-cracking screen was all my fault according to their retort. 

The reason I bought this phone was that I had the Xperia Z which was and is robust, designed to withstand general use and reasonable impact as it has done for 2.5 years. I am also the purchaser for Phones at work, I had previosly arranged the purchase of a number of Z & z1s for staff due to the reasonable build quality. Testing out the Z5c was a preface to upgrading the 10 other units at the office. Such poor standard build and design and material use have opened the door to HTC & Samsung where we will be upgrading - to anyone with sense, the cost of repair falls far below the profit of selling an additional 10 phones.

Having received the phone back with the repaired screen - I realise that they in fact replaced the entire phone body - front glass, back glass, and entire case. As the case quality is poor, they must have replaced this as it was pretty worn after a months use of being put in and out of pockets. Why the back glass was replaced, I've no idea.

I also note now that after using the phone here for 10 minutes it is burning up! Not a slightly warm feel, but a very hot temperature. This could explain the crack while texting - the phone was probably on for about 10 mins while i was texting, the processer must have been running red hot and heated and expaded the glass causing the crack. But they'll never admit this so be warned.

Finally - if you are asking should you buy a Sony z5c - let me give you these pointers based on 1 months use:

1. No.

2. Phone is very fragile - expect dents, scratches within a month from general use - putting in pockets, putting on a table etc.

3. Phone fits in hand but is very slippery - you could very easily lose your grip on it as the casing is too smooth.

4. Prone to glass cracking with very little pressure.

5. Expect overheating within 10 minutes, possibly burning your ear - could lead to internal failure.

6. Do not expect this phone to survive travel or walking in the woods - its just not made for these things according to T&C's.

7. This phone is not waterproof or robust like previous versions.

8. If parts of this phone go, it's probably your fault not poor materials, design or build.

9. Did not see any considerable real world improvement from the Z & Z1's -camera is fine, but if you want to take photos, get a proper camera.

10. Thankfully I dont use loads of apps so less chance of continual overheating. 

Based on experience and as a previous advocate of Sony phones(Z & Z1)

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 78 of 108
Message 78 of 108

Bottom line the glass cracked by itself on the table, it does not seem to matter what the cause or what really happened, sony(or their sub contractor) are determine not to fix it under warrenty. my advice would be if you don't own a z5 yet do not get one if you already own one and unlucky enough to have one of the defected screen expect to pay for it one way or the other. 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 79 of 108
Message 79 of 108

IMG_20160529_202005.jpgMy screen cracked at random also after having the phone for less than a month and handling it with extreme care. This renders the phone totally useless. I have emailed support. Hopefully they will do the right thing and honour their warranty.

Future buyers beware - make sure to get a really good phone cover. This phone is extremely delicate despite its marketing claims to strenght and durability!

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 80 of 108
Message 80 of 108

I had a Z3 backing glass break on me... after years of this issue, how can Sony continue to make backing out of this material?!?! it is so obvious its not strong enough to put up with general use (ie putting you phone in your pocket) I previously had an Xperia Arc P and it lasted 3 years, it was a rock! I still get old info and pics off it. Sony has to take its head out the sand and change this obvious flaw in the Z3-Z5s