account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Recorded video will not play on Xperia Z3 compact

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 11 of 17
Message 11 of 17

Re: Recorded video will not play on Xperia Z3 compact

Can you play these files if you copy them to a computer?

When you can't play them from the file commander either i'm afraid it sounds like the files are damaged/corrupted.

But if i understand you correctly, this also happens for files on the internal stprage which has never been stored on the SD card? Corrupt or damaged files are usually caused by a defect SD card.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 12 of 17
Message 12 of 17

I have not tried that - playing them from a computer, but I will try so later today and let you know the outcome.  There are other videos on the SD card that are working fine...you got me worried now.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 13 of 17
Message 13 of 17

I'm facing the same problem.. Yesterday i recorded many videos but one of them is not playing & showing error "cannot play this video). I've copied the video in pc & it's not playing in pc also.
Please help..... The Video is very important
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

I'm very sorry to hear that Slightly frowning Face

If the video doesn't play in your PC either i'm afraid it sounds like the file is damaged or corrupted and i that case i don't know of any way to save the file.

Was it recorded to the internal storage or an external SD card? Did you notice any error message from the phone or other issue while you recorded it?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 15 of 17
Message 15 of 17

Same issue here with the Xperia Z3v.  When I stop a recording I get an error message stating that the camera has stopped working and then the file becomes corrupt.  Unfortunately this happens a LOT.  No exaggeration when I say it happens about 1/4 of the time.

It seems to happen more frequently when I start the camera with the hardware button. I have it set to "Launch and Start Recording."  Unfortunately since the "camera has stopped working" message comes after I stop recording, there's no way to know if the video I'm recording will be saved or not.  It's a complete crapshoot and that's not an experience I'd expect from a flagship smartphone from a company like Sony.  Love the phone otherwise!

The video won't play on the phone or pc.  I tried digging into the metadata but there's no information in the "Video" information (Length, Frame width, etc), but the file information is there (Movie name, file type, etc). After transferring it to a PC I've tried to change the file extension to another common file type and then switched it back to .MP4.  That didn't work.  I purchased the phone directly from Verizon about two months ago and haven't rooted it.  The files are being stored internally and NOT on an SD card.

Xperia Z3v.

Hardware version: 1277-6887.5

Model# D6708

Processor: Qualcomm MSM8974PRO-AC

Android Version 4.4.4

Build#: 23.0.E.1.44

Using Nova Prime as a launcher

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 16 of 17
Message 16 of 17

I have the same problem on my brand new Z3.

When I go to File commander it shows the file has 0 B, so it is no surprise it won't play, if it isn't recording anything!

I have it set up to save to the SD card

Update:

I found that when I save it to Internal Storage, it records without a problem, so obviously some problem with it recording to the SD card

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 17 of 17
Message 17 of 17

My problem, however, its quite different from his. After playing the recorded video a while ago, at first it shows "Cannot play video. Invalid URL." error message. Then, second attempt. This time, it shows the video playing, but its at the second record ('coz i paused my vid for another scene Face with stuck-out Tongue), which is at 0:25... I tried trimming it with either Movie Maker, but shows "Video format not supported." even though its in MP4 format. Tried Photos app, but shows no thumbnails or preview of the video. But now im trying to send it to my other device (which is a W10M) just to edit it, if it works. So, any solution to mine??? 😐❓