account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Pen input doesn't work (z2phone)

SOLVED
Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Pen input doesn't work (z2phone)

I've seen this hinted at a couple times but haven't found a solution or reason why it's happening:

I've read that I can use a pen as a stylus on the Xperia Z2, but this doesn't work for me.  I've tried a pen, I've tried a real stylus.  I don't have any problems with touch input.  I have tried activating glove mode.  

But pens are completely unresponsive.  Is there a way to troubleshoot this, or perhaps a reason why some z2's don't seem to support pen input?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Re: Pen input doesn't work (z2phone)

It has been outlined in that thread that there is no "pen mode" as such. You will find that they are using a conductive stylus and the pen being metal would also be conductive but I wouldn’t advise using a ball point pen on your screen.

sony_logo126x24.gif

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Pen mode was designed for the Z Ultra but was removed due to phantom touches - I've not seen pen mode on any other devices other than the Z Ultra - Glove mode is not pen mode

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

How is it that some z2 owners use a pen with their phone then?  >> https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z2/sony-xperia-z2-pen-mode-stylus/m-p/799263#M11479

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

It has been outlined in that thread that there is no "pen mode" as such. You will find that they are using a conductive stylus and the pen being metal would also be conductive but I wouldn’t advise using a ball point pen on your screen.

sony_logo126x24.gif

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

There we go!  All my pens have plastic casings and I was too cautious to try with the actual pen tip.  Thank you, glad to know I'm not mysteriously missing features.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Any metal thing is working... I've tested with scissors, ball point pen, car key and screw drivers... guess there should be some stylus pen with metal core and silicone coating to make it work... in electrical field way. 
A good screen protector like H+ and you can try to operate with ball pen secured that your touch screen won't get scrached, but of course it's not an everyday solution, and only magnetic charged stuff will work, so don't expect a regular pen to work without magnetizing it first...
And it's not a solution, just few tests I made myself, I'm not using any metal things on my screen protector, so it's your own risk.
Tests - OK, using everyday - rather not !

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>