account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Macro photos

Regular
Message 1 of 26
Message 1 of 26

Macro photos

Does anyone know how to capture macro images on z5 as so far they are appalling, had a z1 before the z5 and the z1 camera was far superior to the z5 camera, I took some fantastic images on the z1 including underwater shots and they were superb I rarely deleted any z1 photos but I rarely keep any off the z5 (haven't tried underwater), is anyone else as disappointed with this phone camera as I am
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 26
Message 2 of 26

Re: Macro photos

@Gadav

the object shouldn't be closer than 12cm

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 26
Message 3 of 26

Unfortunately due to the wide angle lense the Z5 is poor in macro photography. It can't focus in on close ups at all, also the clarity and sharpness isn't great either in the photo quality.

Highlighted
Regular
Message 4 of 26
Message 4 of 26

That's spot on razorig2, the pics are appalling, wish I'd stuck with my z1 now lol, I can't believe a phone 2 years newer is worse I stuck with Sony because of the camera (I'm no photographer but I know when I like what I see) and the waterproofing (which is also a no go area now) and the build quality, kind of wish I'd looked elsewhere for better camera and waterproofing seems to be coming to more phones
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 5 of 26
Message 5 of 26

@Gadav

The Z5 has a great camera, you might want to set it to 8mp and on manual if you are taking pictures with low light, if you are using macro, use manual and change the focus settings (touch focus), just play with the settings, you can take really nice pictures

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 9.49.18 AM.png

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 26
Message 6 of 26

@uliwooly the picture is nice but it's not in focus/blurry and lacking clarity. The thing with the Z5 is it can't really do infinite focus, if you look at landscape photos from the phone there's still random spots of blur around the edges.
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 7 of 26
Message 7 of 26

@Razorig2

Lol, I'm using touch focus on the flower on the left, I have more examples but its subjective, but the object has to be no closer than 12cm 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 26
Message 8 of 26

@uliwooly

Yeah that's the main issue, 12cm distance is too far for a macro in my opinion for high end spec camera like this. I love macro photography and it's a shame you can't get closer to the subject, my 3 year old Nexus 5 takes fairly close macros in comparison to this and appear sharper in detail and focal range.
I think what would have helped greatly in camera performance in general for the Z5 is Optical Image Stabilisation, as even for normal pictures you have to hold the camera very steady otherwise there is noticeable blur motion when capturing photos.
Highlighted
Regular
Message 9 of 26
Message 9 of 26

I have to agree with razorig2 12 cm is to far away for macro shots the z1 could go closer than that, as for messing around with the settings I have done that still not much difference in quality, also the camera seems to find it difficult to find its macro setting and often applies document setting for close up pictures I didn't even know there was such a thing as document setting until I tried macro on the z5 and it chose it for me lol, I took 36 general pictures (not macro I'm sick of trying that now) while out on a walk this morning and deleted the lot all very fuzzy, I have never wanted to throw a phone at the wall before and if I didn't have 20 months left on my contract I probably would
Highlighted
Regular
Message 10 of 26
Message 10 of 26

Also I don't use the zoom function it creates even worse results