account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

How do i get rid of "new system update available" notification from notification bar

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 24
Message 1 of 24

How do i get rid of "new system update available" notification from notification bar

Just been sent a new handset by Orange after the latest kitkat update ruined my battery life...now I keep getting bombarded with system updates and I specifically dont want to install the kitkat (10.5.A.0.230) update again - only thing is I cant get the notification out of my notification bar...any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Message 2 of 24
Message 2 of 24

Re: How do i get rid of "new system update available" notification from notification bar

You won't be able to remove it as it is a system update.You can try to clear data for update centre in settings-apps-all.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 24
Message 3 of 24

Re: How do i get rid of "new system update available" notification from notification bar

The only way I know of is to Root and install something like Titanium to Freeze the app or uninstall - I don't think going to apps swiping to all then locating Update centre and opening will have the ability to allow you to disable the app

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 4 of 24
Message 4 of 24

Hello, 

I also had to send in my phone for repair and the place ended giving me a new phone. The notification annoyed me too, but I found an easy way to get rid of it. Go into settings-->apps-->all and find "update center". Click force disable. This will turn off the notification until you restart the phone or open update center manually.

Best regards.

Highlighted
Message 5 of 24
Message 5 of 24

Yeah,the same will do my suggestion,not a permanent solution anyway.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adept
Message 6 of 24
Message 6 of 24

Can't he open update center then to manage updates and click on the eye next to update!?
Highlighted
Talent
Message 7 of 24
Message 7 of 24

Haha you are right @mido. The guys above gave such useless advises. The notification can be disabled by simply click on the eye in manage updates in update center.
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 8 of 24
Message 8 of 24

My answer wasn't useless - Also I uninstalled some updates and checked this - I have no eye just an arrow pointing down to download - Opening the 3 dots options brings up manage updates but all I see is a message saying No applications available

So I refer to my origonal message and the only true way to disable the update notification/s is to have root and freeze or uninstall the application via an app like Titanium

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 9 of 24
Message 9 of 24

I'm from México so my xperia have spanish language, buy i'll try to explain as well as possible.

To erase that notification you have to go to "Settings" -> "Apps" -> "All", and there look for Update Center, there is an option like "Show notifications" that have a tick, so the only thing you gotta do is to remove the tick.
Then you can enjoy your notification bar clean and without any update notification Grinning Face 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 24
Message 10 of 24

thanks Slightly smiling Face

@markshlaf wrote:

Hello, 

I also had to send in my phone for repair and the place ended giving me a new phone. The notification annoyed me too, but I found an easy way to get rid of it. Go into settings-->apps-->all and find "update center". Click force disable. This will turn off the notification until you restart the phone or open update center manually.

Best regards.

@markshlaf wrote:

Hello, 

Best regards.