account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Front coming away

Highlighted
Message 1 of 39
Message 1 of 39

Front coming away

I've had my Z3 for a little short of 3 months and to my utter disgust the screen is coming away in the top right corner near the camera.

This is causing problems with the proximity sensor in that when I've finished a call I can't get the screen to wake again and also the loud speaker at the top only works if I'm pushing the screen back down.

Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Thanks

Andy

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 39
Message 2 of 39

Re: Front coming away

Sorry to hear this but you would need to either return your device to the place of purchase or contact Xperia care and have your device inspected http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
Message 3 of 39
Message 3 of 39

Yeah I spoke to both carphone warehouse and Sony on saturday morning. Think I'm going to push on carphone warehouse as I use it daily for both my fulltime job and my freelance work and I can't afford any down time or to replace the handset. 

My question was though has anyone else had anything similar happen to theirs? I've heard of them overheating and cracking the glass and such but this just seemed odd. I'll add a couple of pictures shortly

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 4 of 39
Message 4 of 39

I have had the same problem and went to EE today to speak to them about it as the screen has just stopped working. I have been told as there are scratches on the phone it must have been dropped to cause the damage. I informed them that the phone had never been dropped, and if it had surely it would have cracked the screen rather than the screen coming away. The rather inhelpful person at EE then said it must have been dropped onto a soft surface for the screen to be coming away and not cracked, and told me to contact Sony. After reading how helpful Sony are on the matter on this forum and the US one, I am not holding out much hope of this being resolved quickly or without costing me money for an obvious fault with the handset.

Bar the usual scratches that will occur after owning the phone for 6 months, there is no other damage to the handset. It has never been dropped and I take extra care with it due to the horror stories that I have read regarding the screens cracking. I am absolutely disgusted that a high end product from a company I have used my whole life (from walkmans, Playstations, Vaios, headphones, Bravia TVs) has developed this fault. I am even more disgusted that EE can offer no support and I will be charged for a repair by Sony when this has happened through no fault of my own. I have just cancelled my order for a new Sony TV and Playstation 4, a futile gesture in the grand scheme of things but I will not give Sony another penny.

I hope you can get your issue sorted Andy.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 5 of 39
Message 5 of 39

Just noticed this same problem on my phone today. Spoke to Virgin who I got it from and they're saying I must have dropped it. I definitely haven't. Can I get this repaired through Sony? I'm not sure if my phone is in warranty or not but if it isn't how much would it cost? Virgin want to charge me £80 to go through my insurance.
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 6 of 39
Message 6 of 39

I actually spoke to a Sony employee in the Virgin store who said he'd never seen this before. He says it's definitely a manufacturing fault.
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 39
Message 7 of 39

mms_img781755398.jpg

This is my phone atm. Never been dropped and not even a year old. very dissappointed with sony as this phone is suppossed to be water proof guess its not anymore!!!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 39
Message 8 of 39

@Knogu - I am sorry to hear about this, however please do follow the advice above regarding speaking with your local Xperia Care team as your handset will need to be assessed.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 9 of 39
Message 9 of 39

This started to happen to mine, car phone warehouse said I would have to pay to send it off and it would probably come back the same. Alternatively they suggested that I payed someone else to fix it but this would void any form of warranty.

Customers shouldn't have to pay any more money for faulty materials on this phone. We pay for a waterproof smartphone and we are not getting it because of this problem.
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 39
Message 10 of 39

This has happened twice to me, the first time i sent the phone back to sony as its under warranty, they said they were waiting for a part for a month and eventually decided to send me a new phone instead, after 3 months the same thing happened again and the phone has never been dropped, theres not even a scratch on it! I have emailed them asking if they would swap it for a z5 and I'd pay the difference but apparently thats not possible, tried to explain that I'm in university and can't be without a phone but they just say to send it back for repair. Also if they find any reason for this not to be covered by the warranty they will charge for repair which i think is ridiculous. I have been with sony for the last 6 years and from what I've noticed is that the phones are great for a few months but they are not built to last, my Xperia Z1 died after year and I lost everything on it. My Z3 has been sent back for ridiculous reasons such as dead pixels on the screen..after paying so much money for a phone I very highl doubt this is what customers expect...Lg g5 next I think