account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Disappointed with the Z5

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Disappointed with the Z5

With the news about the new Galaxy phone emerging I'm wondering if I should switch away from Xperia.

I was having the Z, Z2, Z3 and now the Z5. I like the design and I like Sony's version of Android and the water proof concept is a major bumper for me. I've been all over happy with the Z and Z2 but from Z3 on I don't know... both phones have been repeatedly in repair because of display (brown spots). The glass of Z3 was breaking several times (luckily this does not happen with the Z5 anymore). The repair service is good and fast but yet it takes a week without phone. I'm tired of it.

In addition:

- The battery life of the Z5 is a disaster and I'm not coming through the day anymore as with earlier Xperias (mostly business use, I'm not a gamer or active on social media).

- Even half a year after release of Marshmallow there's none available for the Z5 (considering it's the recent flagship)

- There's no update policy on security issues (as others have imposed and I remember Stagefright took a long time to fix)

Where did Sony's devotion to its Xperia go? Is it time to move on? Or is it just me?

15 REPLIES 15
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Disappointed with the Z5

I think 2016 is the last year of their Mobile phone division - they cannot survive the competition. Many current Sony mobile users are disappointed and moving away from them. Once my Z1C dies I will not be buying another Sony either.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

I've to admit that, here in Sony, they have lost a lot of time with this MM Update, but for Z5, by October, they released two or three updates with latest Stagefright fix, so all that we want, NOW, is a fresh and really BUGFREE MM 6 Android, that's all !

So we should wait just a bit and hoping for a very good update, otherwise could be my latest Sony too, if I have to come here to talk about latest or usual bug where the only answer is : do a repair !!! :s

Highlighted
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

@andiling

Indeed battery life in Z5 is less than those previous members of Z family, and hopefully in next cookie of Marshmallow with better power management this will be eliminated. Security fixes should be also managed better with Marshmallow, and I think Sony is not too late with its release seeing other manufacturers performance.

@traveller_cz

I wish your thoughts will not happen Slightly smiling Face

@Robertods88

Performing a software repair using PC Companion is always the best way to resolve software issues, and to confirm if it's hardware issue that requires sending the phone to local support. It's even a healthy habit to repair your phone periodically to refresh it from accumulating apps and residual files.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

Marshmallow is available for the Galaxy S6, LG G4 and One M9. Sony is last under the flagships. And both Samsung and LG have committed to monthly updates.

As for battery life I won't be too optimistic that Marshmallow can be a major improvement. With my Z3 I have after one day usage (6 am to 6 pm) around 30% left, with the Z5 I'm around noon down to approx 40% and cannot get along without charging inbetween. Both devices have exactly the same apps installed, an up-to-date firmware and usage is average the same (when I go out I grab either phone for the day).

Mostly I do phone, SMS and mail. Sometimes I need to connect by VPN but even a short usage is eating up my battery (I never saw the mtpd in the Usage list of my Z3 but in the Z5 almost immediately after some minutes).

And I was just too annoyed that with the Z5 again the screen got brown marks and I need to ship it for repair. (Maybe it gets to hot or some problem with the glue, I don't know) The service is good but it's still annoying.

I will see if there's some improvement over the next months. But if like this the Z5 is the second Xperia I'm not really happy with and I will try out then another one... (I'm eligible to get a new phone once a year from my provider)

We're not talking about a phone worth a hundred bucks or so but we are talking about a high priced model... so I expect a bit more.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

Quester: Are you saying that users should time to time reset the phone and reinstall all applications? I keep the number of applications to minimum (maybe only 20) but it would take me half a day to do this. And another half of the day disabling the preinstalled app that I do not want/use. And then the customizations...

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

Hello,

I can understand what you say, I also feel a little disapointed by this Z5C Android 5 problems and battery life, but I still prefer Sony to others because it's the only one to make small smartphones with premium specs (we don't all have big hands and/or want to have phablets to ears), it's the only one to work on design in it's producs like Apple do, and they have a very light Android customization compared to the Google stock. I really hope Sony will not stop it's smartphone branch.

However, the good news is we now have a date for Marshmallow !!

Highlighted
Learner
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

as a new convert to sony( i own the z5 compact) i find the phone excellent. and i like others are tired of big phones you cant carry in the pocket. i have been a long time user of samsung galaxy phones and i can garantee you that they are much more byggy than my z5. constant app crashes on s5 constant messages about closing waterproofing port and no way to fix it. my galaxy s tablet refuses to connect to some wifi networks and various updates and resets have not worked. samsung support is poor. 

a note of caution and please check samsung forums etc for issues. i am never buying samsung again just to buggy and loads of bloatware. cameras er no way near as good as the camera on my z5 whatever samsung says.

Highlighted
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

@traveller_cz

Yes, it's not an official code of self care for your device, but I do that personally and this makes me enjoy the same fresh feel of a new phone. Google Backup and restore will make sure that even the same apps list will be installed after logging to the same Google account after repair. All my static data like music/ringtones/wallpapers are on SD card, so repairing and restoring is an easy procedure with great outcome.

I don't need to backup anything manually except call logs, if needed Slightly smiling Face

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

@andiling

I'm sorry for your bad luck with screens, but I myself owned a series of Xperia phones and never had a problem like this.

Those manufacturers you mentioned have updated 1 flagship in certain markets only, while the strategy of Sony (agree or not with it) is to roll updates nearly globally with multiple models at the same time (as what happened with Lollipop). If the software comes out too soon you'll get complains on how it's premature and full of bugs, and if they take their time to test it you'll also get complaining about how they are slacking. 

And I assume battery will be better in Marshmallow.