account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

CPU Limit on nougat

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 70
Message 11 of 70

About Disabled 4 Cores

Many users stated that 4 core are diabled after the Nougat update.

For those who said "they are not disabled,they'll get enabled if the device need them"

I just found an app called "Stress CPU". Once we press start on the app, app will utilize 100% of the CPU.

I did that on my Z5P, Guess what, the disabled core are as it is. None of the 4 got enabled.

If they are not disabled how come they are still stopped when the app needs the 100% CPU.

-------------------------------------------------------
Xperia Z5 Premium (E6853) | Xperia Z1 (C6903)
Highlighted
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 12 of 70
Message 12 of 70

Re: About Disabled 4 Cores

http://imgur.com/a/81ZZo

I'm not really bothered ... I'm not doing anything that needs everything running

7of8.png

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Post with 42 views.
Highlighted
Learner
Message 13 of 70
Message 13 of 70

First of all, your are using android 6.0.1 which has similar story but not as bad as android 7.0. in android 6.0.1 2 cores are disbled and it is random. the only way to use all 4 cores is to put your phone inside a freezer and after 1 hour, try to use them. after 10 second of workload one of two cores will be disabled as well but at least we have 1 A57 core which is not even activate in android 7.0. second of all, I tested all the benchmarking and stress tests possible and I confirm that all 4 A57 cores of the Xperia z3+/z4 and Xperia z5 are disabled in android 7.0. For who says they are not disabled, post screenshot of android 7.0 xperia z3+/z4 or z5 devices with their geekbench scores

Highlighted
Message 14 of 70
Message 14 of 70

"the only way to use all 4 cores is to put your phone inside a freezer and after 1 hour, try to use them."

Yeah...I don't think I'll be taking cpu advice off someone advising this.
For everyone else.. Please don't put your phone in a freezer for an hour, the quick cycle of warm/cold/ warm will condense the air inside your phone and produce water from the condensed air. This will screw up your phone eventually.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 15 of 70
Message 15 of 70

I am so disappointed to see some people still don't understand humor. No one will put his/her phone inside a freezer "genius". The phrase meant to be that it is impossible to run 4 A57 cores at the same time.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 16 of 70
Message 16 of 70

@AiDiN sadly there's people out there that will take for granted what you are saying, I know it was probably just lot of fun for you.. but just don't, unless you end your phrase with a "just kidding".

Now returning to the issue.. there is no issue:

1) SnapDragon 810 - 4 cores for regular tasks @ up to 1.5 ghz, 4 cores for high performance @ up to 2.0 ghz.

2) Android is based upon Linux. Like all Linux and Unix systems you need to understand the difference between CPU usage and Load. The fact that the CPU is at 100% doesn't mean that the load is at 8, more on this below.

To understand how the cpu usage is distributed is complicated and it's not something that a simple APP can really simulate, in fact did you ever read the statement to never believe a benchmark score? It's real life and real usage that dictate the performance and usage.

Now, to let you understand how the cores are awaken during regular usage of your phone:

So we said that the SD810 has 8 cores, 4 low/mid performance and 4 high performance.

Now Imagine that 4 low/mid performance cores are 4 city roads and 4 high performance cores are 4 highway lanes. The following example will let you understand when the cores are going to be activated, mind also that the system/OS may use multiple cores also if are not necessary. This is done by the governor in order to keep the system smooth. A power efficient governor will use just one core until the load require another core to be activated but the device may become sluggish. (Think about Ultra Stamina Mode)..

Example 1: Load: 0.9 - 0.00 - mostyl dozing

Road 1: 4 cars

Road 2: 3 cars

Road 3: 2 cars

Road 4: 0 cars - road closed

HWY 1: 0 - lane closed

HWY 2: 0 - lane closed

HWY 3: 0 - lane closed

HWY 4: 0 - lane closed

Meaning that:

Core 1 has 4 processes to handle, it's load is at 0.4 - No need to use another core,

Core 2 has 3 processes to handle, it's load is at 0.3 - No need to use another core,

Core 3 has 2 processes to handle, it's load is at 0.2 - No need to use another core,

Core 4 has 0 processes to handle, it's load is at 0.3 - This is waiting for more regular tasks.

The Highway lanes are all closed. - no need to use those.

Example 2: Load: 2.2 - 0.00 - Regular usage, screen on, some social networking and chrome browser

Road 1: 8 cars

Road 2: 10 cars

Road 3: 10 cars

Road 4: 2 cars

HWY 1: 0 - lane closed

HWY 2: 0 - lane closed

HWY 3: 0 - lane closed

HWY 4: 0 - lane closed

Meaning that:

Core 1 has 8 processes to handle, it's load is at 0.8 - Able to get 2 more tasks,

Core 2 has 10 processes to handle, it's load is at 1.0 - Need to send a process to another core,

Core 3 has 10 processes to handle, it's load is at 1.0 - Need to send a process to another core,

Core 4 has 2 processes to handle, it's load is at 0.2 - Able to get 8 more tasks.

The Highway lanes are all closed. - no need to use those.

Example 3: Load: 4 - 4 (8) - Lot of background apps, listening music via spotify, on a call with a mate, playing a very detailed video game - plus regular background tasks - Phone here will probably lag!

Road 1: 10 cars

Road 2: 10 cars

Road 3: 10 cars

Road 4: 10 cars

HWY 1: 10 - lane in use

HWY 2: 10 - lane in use

HWY 3: 10 - lane in use

HWY 4: 10 - lane in use

Meaning that:

Core 1 has 10 processes to handle, it's load is at 1.0 - Need to send a process to another core,

Core 2 has 10 processes to handle, it's load is at 1.0 - Need to send a process to another core,

Core 3 has 10 processes to handle, it's load is at 1.0 - Need to send a process to another core,

Core 4 has 2 processes to handle, it's load is at 1.0 - No more tasks can be executed at once. - LAG

The Highway lanes are all open and in use. - unable to execute more tasks. - LAG

In few words, it's the load or the number of processes running that dictate when to use more cores or less, not the cpu usage. Do not believe apps and benchmarks but of course, if you want your phone to have all cores on to do simple day by day usage, let's say 1 process per core no matter what.. you can do that but mind that involve:

1) Rooting,

2) Modifying governors or Installing a different one,

3) accepting a possible 6 hours battery life total.

No one want that.

TL/DR: Your phone works just fine.

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Highlighted
Learner
Message 17 of 70
Message 17 of 70

@YoGem

I really appreciate that you took time to explain to me how cores work in synchronous and asynchronous ways. I agree in some level but not completely.

The core of android OS is Linux which is a Unix based OS. The brain inside linux based OS is kernel which all the timing and handler will be resituate. Let say a program wants to use 8 cores for some reason, it can only use it if the kernel will allow it. so if I modify the kernel to not allow anyone use, lets say core 7 and 8, no one can use them. That was how samsung could cheat the benchmark apps which getting full priority to white listed app inside the kernel.

The first version of android, if I am not mistaken 5.0.2, which was bundled with xperia z3+/z4 when it's launched, had all 8 cores available for use which the overheated issue emerged and sony patch it with almost all the time 2 high cores disabled. I undestand the S810 heating issue and there is no other way to coontrol that. 

bottom line is, no matter what you use, if the app demands it or not, the A57 cores won't be activated in android 7.0. Maybe it is a bug or maybe it is sony's decision but in both ways, the 4 high performance A57 cores are completely disabled or at list no app can use them, even benchmark apps.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 18 of 70
Message 18 of 70

@AiDiN exactly! There you go, it's all about governors!! It's said that many handset are tested using a high performance setting where the cores are all always on and at maximum speed. This was done by ZTE, HTC, Samsung and also by HP with the Slate 6 with a Marvell SoC similar to one old Samsung Galaxy that automatically was recognizing the benchmark app and switching the governor to the benchmark one.. Obviously score was going up at cost of battery life. 

Seriously, again... There is nothing wrong with it. You don't need to see them active at all, it's the system that has to decide when to divert the traffic from regular roads to the Speedway. No benchmark, no cpu stresser will activate those 4 cores.

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Highlighted
Learner
Message 19 of 70
Message 19 of 70

@YoGem

This is exactly what I was saying man. I don't expect them to be active all the time but in android 6.0.1 at least one of them was active. In android 7 no one can take advantage of Core A57. battery life was good on android 6.0.1 if you want to see on battery life point of view. The big impact is on heavier task apps, they are way slower than before that try to put your phone on stamina mode and see what will happen. the phone will be a chineese 50$ slow crapy phone to give you an example.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 20 of 70
Message 20 of 70

The big issue here is that the 4 extra cores are now useless in general use.
No matter what app or game i use the A57 stays inactive, resulting in worse performance in said apps/games.

Secondly the A57 was most likely down clocked in nougat to 1.56GHz to match the A53, when in MM A57 clocked at 1.96GHz.