account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

SOLVED
Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 701 of 953
Message 701 of 953

Re: 4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

@lozhedgehog wrote:

Well, I installed the latest version (5.0.89) at 11am this morning, now it's 2:45pm and I have no Play Services drain, other than what I would expect - 

Screen 20%

Android System 16%

Android OS 8%

Google Play Services 7%

That's with all Location etc turned on too....

Has it been solved? Time will tell, sometimes a new version works for 12 hrs then goes back to normal.

As usual, mileage varies greatly between users!

With previous version I had a decent battery usage, and now, using this latest version since yesterday, here's my figures for the past 2 hours:

battery usagecpu details

Note: com.google.process.location is the location module from Google Play Services

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 702 of 953
Message 702 of 953

No this doesnt fix it....this is the version I posted a week or more back that you can force in using "google wear" install. Its what Sony suggested trying but isnt the fix.

I think something along the way is a little better but still about 6 hours less battery life for me.

Still cannot express my anger enough (without using words that will get this post banned) at just how utterly arrogant Sony have been in not responding to all these customer complaints /requests for help...and simply ignoring it.

I am just holding off short period till my renewal is up and switching brands.

Sony...you're a complete disgrace !!! Never again.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 703 of 953
Message 703 of 953

Please, twitt it so that everybody knows, like this for instances:

@sonyxperia #googleplayservices v5.0.89 released. Still draining all the #battery from my #android #kitkat #xperiaz by #sony #dontbuy

Take a look what people are saying: https://twitter.com/search?q=xperia%20z%20battery&src=typd

Highlighted
Adept
Message 704 of 953
Message 704 of 953

Why don't use your warranty?
I don't have drain almost 4 weeks if I have it, I've already sent the phone to warranty, the specs of the phone are 11hours of conversation and 550h in stand by, not even close for the ones that have battery drain.
Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 705 of 953
Message 705 of 953

MLeitao wrote: the specs of the phone are 11hours of conversation and 550h in stand by, not even close for the ones that have battery drain.

According to official specs page this has to be measured on a phone in specific configuration (no 3G data nor wifi network active for example) :

"[1] Values are according to GSM Association Battery Life Measurement Technique. Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configurations, and phone usage."

Thus, Sony will be able to state that, when tested according to the referenced document, the phone performs as advertised.

Also, the test would be also probably performed (for reproducibility reasons) on a factory reset phone, without any google apps updates

Highlighted
Adept
Message 706 of 953
Message 706 of 953

I think the complains in this thread it's enough for a good layer, or costumer defense organisation.
Even with all radio off the phone don't manage the 8 hours of conversation, so I think you have a case.
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 707 of 953
Message 707 of 953

Guys even I'm suffering wid the same problem
I tried uninstalling updates to Google play service
Works a little better but cant use Google+ nd YouTube
Sony has to fix this problem
I got system updatw wid the same build no. But there r no improvements done in that
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 708 of 953
Message 708 of 953

How to extend battery life of Xperia ZL
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 709 of 953
Message 709 of 953

Well 3 days on from previous post and my battery consumption is still fine with newest update.
Back to how it was before this debarcle began.
Still at 71% battery under fairly heavy useage and 8 hours on battery!
Highlighted
Adept
Message 710 of 953
Message 710 of 953

My battery is back to normal after the latest google services 5.0.89... Im still going to keep the old google+ for safety. Stamina off since turning on causes restarts and overheating 

3 days strong

http://i.imgur.com/TkcoCCS.jpg