account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

xperia z (android 4.4.2): stamina mode ineffective

SOLVED
Regular
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

xperia z (android 4.4.2): stamina mode ineffective

Stamina mode seems to be ineffective for my xperia z, with android 4.4.2 build 10.5.A.0.230, because data connection is not turned off and I still receive whatsapp, skype, and gmail notifications.

I'm not using wifi (always set to off) and I have LTE/WCDMA/GSM data connection on. 

Can you please help ?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular
Message 13 of 13
Message 13 of 13

Re: xperia z (android 4.4.2): stamina mode ineffective

I have repaired my phone through PC Companion, as adviced by Sony Support, and now stamina mode works fine.

Probably upgrading to Kitkat 4.4.2 through the update service doesn't give the same result as flashing 4.4.2 firmware directly. 

12 REPLIES 12
Emperor
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Have you excluded any apps ?

settings > power management > stamina mode > apps active in stanby 

if you have excluded apps that use your data/wifi, that's the reason your data doesn't turn of 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Regular
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your reply. 

I wish that was the reason, but the "active in stand-by" list is empty, so I think there must be a different cause for the problem.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

Stamina kicks in when the screen has been turned off for a minute. When the screen is on all apps should work as normal.  Effectiveness against battery consumption varies. 

Adept
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

STAMINA mode has bugs! don't activate it... It'll make your phone reboot and overheat.

Regular
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for your reply.

I did a test and even after 30 minutes that the screen is off my phone gets notifications and emails.

Am I the only one with this problem? 

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Most people don't have rebooting phones.  I have had mine running for month without a reboot . I do have battery issues but they are unrelated. 

Stamina is gentle, some apps keeps their connection until they terminate it themselves. I think new connections are made about every fifteen minutes in stamina. That means messages are received but delayed. 

You might want to turn mobile data off entirely? 

Talent
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

on xperia ZL, stamina mode and lower battery mode doesn't work effectively as they are intended to.

Even enabling or disabling these options, recharge is necessary.

I have found use of these 2 options are ZERO atleast with 4.4.2 update.

There were 50+ reboots, couple of SUS and other unwanted steps are already done after update.

It seems that there is potential battery drain issue or stamina mode & low battery mode are not working with 4.4.2

with 4.3 i remember it was not the case at all.

Regular
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Thanks for your reply.

My phone is neither rebooting nor overheating, but the battery duration is not up to my expectations, so I'd like to use the stamina mode, with just a couple of applications in the "active standby" list.

The things is that also the applications not in the "active standby" list keep on receiving notifications. If I leave the "active standby" list empty, all the application receive notifications, so I suspect that something is not working properly.
I don't know the details about stamina power saving, but at least with regards to data connection I can say that there is no difference with stamina mode on and off, because all the applications still receive notification and this implies that the connection is not turned off.
Is there anyone experiencing the same problem?
Am I misunderstanding the way stamina is supposed to work?

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Do you by any chance have the Japanese version where you instead add apps to the list that you want to have inactivated in stamina? 

Are messages instantaneous or are they delayed? 

Stamina only blocks or delays dataconnection. Apps can go rouge on you without any connection. BTW,  stamina is always disabled while charging. 

Sony could do a lot for customer satisfaction by finding bad acting apps. Stamina isn't the magical feature that saves your battery.