account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

xperia ZL v5.1.1 SD card unmount unexpectedly/shows 0.00GB

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

xperia ZL v5.1.1 SD card unmount unexpectedly/shows 0.00GB

Hello,

The subjects tells it all; since I took the update, my SD card keeps unmounting, and when it's "mounted", it displays as 0 space on it. 

So yesterday, I plugged the card into my computer to check if some files were broken/corrupt (some were) and to repaire them, which worked, but only for a few hours, then it started all over agin; unmounting, displaying 0 space,...

All of these problems started with the update, am I the only one? Did someone figure something out that worked?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Genius
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Re: xperia ZL v5.1.1 SD card unmount unexpectedly/shows 0.00GB

Hi @TimeRider

Please do a backup of the SD card data, and then try to format it with your computer, After doing this, insert it again in your device and check if it works. I´m at disposal for any question.

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
5 REPLIES 5
Genius
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hi @TimeRider

Well, I suggest you in this case, to first run a backup of the device information like this:
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Backup-amp-Transfer/m-p/407253#U407253

Try performing a system repair using PC Companion or Bridge for MAC.
The process will erase all internal memory.You might need to charge your device for about 1-2 hours before so the device has at least 80% battery. Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds). Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP.

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Highlighted
Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hey,

So I'm using PC companion to backup my phone, but it doesn't work. Here's what it says:

"backup error

An error has occured and the backup of you phone/tablet was cancelled. No content on the phone/tablet was damaged.

We recommend you to restart your phone/tablet and try backing up your data again."

I proceeded to restart my phone, and do the backup again, on another disk, with the same issue happening again...

Trying on a Mac with BFM doesn't help either because the option is greyed out.

Genius
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Hi @TimeRider

Please do a backup of the SD card data, and then try to format it with your computer, After doing this, insert it again in your device and check if it works. I´m at disposal for any question.

Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Ok, I reformated my SD card, waited a bit, and it doesn't seem to unmount randomly for now, so I started transfering back my data. I will come back tomorrow to accept the solution if everything still works.

Thanks for the support! 

Genius
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hi @TimeRider

You are welcome. I'm at disposal for any question.