account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

xperia Z screen wont light up after calls can't end calls

Adviser
Message 21 of 99
Message 21 of 99

Re: xperia Z screen wont light up after calls can't end calls

I agree. I had the same screen protector before updating to .423 or 4.2.2 and the proximity switch worked fine.

I accessed the service menu and tested the sensor and its ON when I move it near my head. Thats why the screen goes off when calling.

Lastly, When we hang up, we still have to wait for the other party to end the call.

Help SONY. Please!

One time poster
Message 22 of 99
Message 22 of 99

In order to make sure the problem isn't caused by 3rd party apps, could we list the apps we all have installed. (the people who have this problem)?

mine:

shazam

whatsapp

navigon

soundcloud

cocktailflow

ebay

amazon

DHL tracking app

zedge

hd wallpapers

t-mobile apps

Adviser
Message 23 of 99
Message 23 of 99

From that list, I have

whatsapp

soundcloud

One time poster
Message 24 of 99
Message 24 of 99

Did anyone fix the problem? Or are you all just accepting the issue?

4.2.2 (.434) Update didn't fix it for me.

If you guys still haven't got any good news, I will send mine in.

One time poster
Message 25 of 99
Message 25 of 99

I did. Had the same problem. Did not even know that there was a "proximity sensor". I thought it was working through the front camera Slightly smiling Face When the problem occured I've actually started to read about it from your forum here.

Anyway, in my case it was the screen protector. Not even a screen protector.The original factory packing in which the phone was still packed. I did not remove it for a week or so.

I've read on another forum that I should dial *#*#7378423#*#* the go to Proximity sensor check in the test menu.  And I did. And it showed PROXIMITY SENSOR - ON. All the time. It was ON.

I pealed the film off n top of the phone and it showed PROXIMITY SENSOR - OFF!!!

That's all I needed. I guess the screen protectors might also have the same effect.

As to software. There was an opinion that some applications interfere in the proximity sensor functioning. I've checked what I've installed. Skype, Viber, Mail.ru Agent - they all had been allowed to lock and unlock the screen (I guess, when the calls are made). So I guess there's quite a few apps that can work with the Proximity sensor.

Fortunately, before uninstalling all of them I've decided to check if the screen protector is causing the problem. Start from simple things! If your TV does not turn on- don't call the maintenane. Maybe the power plug is out? Slightly smiling Face

Good luck.

One time poster
Message 26 of 99
Message 26 of 99

i have done like u said dude...and it WORKS !!!...thank you...thought of giving up my white Z n sell it off...once the front screen broke..and it cost me RM 800 to replace...i wonder if gorilla glass really works? my screen got crack due to my belt (the steel in the middle) .. it fell onto the phone..

One time poster
Message 27 of 99
Message 27 of 99

Same problem very frustrating and can cost many minutes with 4 min voicemails being left at times. This is a great workaround thanks

One time poster
Message 28 of 99
Message 28 of 99

My Xperia Z had this problem and i just did this... "Press firmly on proximity sensor" and fixed straight away :0) Thanks

One time poster
Message 29 of 99
Message 29 of 99

I was having the same exact issue with my xperia [and it was quite frustrating]; I would make a call and then after the screen would go black it wouldnt light up again no matter what I did until the call ended itself. However, after I removed the plastic from the front screen, the problem ceased.

One time poster
Message 30 of 99
Message 30 of 99

I also had the problem with the proximity, but i checked the reason why the phone comes from factory with a screen protector. And its a "Shatter proof sheet" thingy, if you remove it, the warranty is removed aswell, and the Sony logo because its attached to the factory screen protector. Sorry to be the one to tell you guys, but the one who did remove it, dont have their warranty anymore. 

So please stop suggesting people to remove it.

What you COULD do to make it better/maybe fix it, is actually something said earlier about pressing firmly on the proximity sensor for a few seconds.