account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xperia Z screen wont light up after calls can't end calls

One time poster
Message 1 of 99
Message 1 of 99

xperia Z screen wont light up after calls can't end calls

any one else have this issue with any phone?

i got this just the other day, and am about to head off travelling and i really don't want to take it back for fixing as i wont be here to get it back!

i can make calls or recieve calls and then the screen goes black when put to my ear as it should, but most of the time [not all the time] when i finish the call and take it away from my ear it wont light up so i can't end the call. i have to wait for the othe person to hang up, and even then sometimes it wont light up.

if it's a home line and they hang up the phone call doesn't end so it just stays black and i can't do anything.

i can restart it by pressing the off button and volume up at the same time, but i don't want to have to restart my phone every time i make a phone call.

has any one had this issue? is there something i'm doing wrong? i've never had a sony before, but i'm guessing it's a fault!

98 REPLIES
Genius
Message 2 of 99
Message 2 of 99

Re: xperia Z screen wont light up after calls can't end calls

As this is an unreported problem you are having I'll make a guess that it is something you have installed on the phone - a tasl manager - memory manager - antivirus - firewall - or that type of thing

or

and app that is working with your contacts or call management

I would suggest you back up your contacts etc

then remove all 3rd party apps you have installed including anti virus (latter is not needed)

then see were you're at

if that doesn't work then do an update repair using PCC - select the update option it will tell you your phone is up to date and offer an option - repair my phone - follow this process and when finished do not install any 3rd party apps until you are sure it is working

after that avoid apps that I mentioned at the start of this reply like task managers etc

One time poster
Message 3 of 99
Message 3 of 99

Have you installed a spigen screen protector? as with their older models the proximity sensor didnt work hence people got this problem

Now spigen is replacing these fo free

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 99
Message 4 of 99

As per Arjun, the most common cause of this are cases/screen protectors interfering with the proximity sensor, if you have one these remove it and see if the problem continues.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 5 of 99
Message 5 of 99

hi i am havig this problem too, it was brand new out of the box today and same thing is happening as you describe? have you managed to fix it? thanks.

One time poster
Message 6 of 99
Message 6 of 99

Even I am having the same issue. Brand new phone.. and I have not removed the default peel off screen protector yet. But I am worried. Is this an issue because on the default peel off screen?

Genius
Message 7 of 99
Message 7 of 99

your plastic packaging is covering the proximity sensor on the front of the phone - peel it off and it should work fine - when you put the phone to your head the screen should turn off and back on again when you move it away - you can also activate it by covering the top area of the front with you hand while engaging a call

Rookie
Message 8 of 99
Message 8 of 99

It has little to do with Screen Protectors or Factory Screen Film.  When you use the power button on the right of the phone, the screen should at very least light up. With this problem, that doesnt happen,  and there is no option to unlock the device.

Screen protectors dont affect the physical lock/power button do they?

Found a quick fix that works to hang up on a locked screen, but wont allow you to access the menu AND stay in a call:
Enter SETTINGS > ACCESSIBILITY, and check the box next to "Power button ends calls".

Hopefully Sony does come up with a way to fix the issue, until then this could save you from leaving embarrasing voice mail messages when applying for work.

Genius
Message 9 of 99
Message 9 of 99

well instead of telling us all off perhaps you can offer a solution instead of being critical and offering nothing - and by the way the OP has not reported back here so we can at this moment assume the problem was resolved

Rookie
Message 10 of 99
Message 10 of 99

Thats great the proximity sensor locks the screen during calls, but why is there NOT a way to unlock the screen?