account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

needed help with charger for xperia z

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 11 of 27
Message 11 of 27

Re: needed help with charger for xperia z

Can i use 2000mAh charger for my xperia z?
Message 12 of 27
Message 12 of 27

I do not think it will harm the device,I constantly use 1500mAh adapter,so 2000 should be ok.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 13 of 27
Message 13 of 27

That is quite true I noticed that if I charge my Xperia Z2 in power off mode it takes it to "normal" fast charge in more or less 2.5 hours from 20% to 90% however when it is turned on and I changed it, the quick charge takes effect and from 19% immediately rose to 43% after 20 minutes more or less and I was surprised since I have wifi connection on while downloading movies, that's why I wondered if this charger is already a quick one since it charges as fast as to my Xperia pro which is only at 1,500 mAh compared to 3200 mAh.
One time poster
Message 14 of 27
Message 14 of 27

I too had a little confusion to this whole "quick charging delimma" and whether or not it was a marketing gimmick.  The answer is it depends on what "cable" you are using the supplied EP880 adapter with.  If you are lookign for an adapter that is labeld EP881, then you will not find it.  This is where I think Sony should have let consumers know because I, at first, was looking for an adapter labeld EP881, which seems like that would be the adapter to follow the labeled EP880 adapter. The EP880 has a nominal output rating of 5.0v @ 1500 mA.  Most of your Xperia phones and tablets will come supplied with this adapter as it came with my xperia Z2 phone, by the way which I love!  It also came with I think a cord labeled EC803.  This is a standard charging cable in most countries including mine which is the US.  The objective is to get the right quick charging cord for it.  Notice that the standard cords will probably say EC801, EC 803, which is a data and charge cable and is not fast charging.  The cord you should be seking usually has a cylindrical bumps on the cable.  This is nothing more than Ferrite in this cylander(s).  it is used to choke or keep restricting waves unintended for just strictly charging and allow the current to flow through as fast as possible.  The cord, I believe, if not mistaken are cords like micro USB, EC 450 cord (found in the quick charger of the ones for your quick charging automobile plugs.  The other one is EC802 found with the quick charger EP881 kit from Sony (EP880adapter and EC802 micro usb cord with ferrite cylinders.  I love all things sony and I have a huge ecosphere in my house from the first OLED Xel-1  to the newest 4k TV, Z2 phone and tablet. Hope this helps and good luck 

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 15 of 27
Message 15 of 27

So,i need to change my charger cause it makes a noise when charging. I found an original adaptor with same characteristics, minus the second row after Charger EP880, it's a number like:1277-2885.1Of course,the serial number is different.The thing is that i charged with the new charger,and it charges slower than my charger from the box.My box charger has on the second row the number:1261-4463.1. Is this the problem? Do i have to search for one with the same number from the second row?Thansk!

Apprentice
Message 16 of 27
Message 16 of 27

Hi Rickard,

Could you please let me know that Xperia Z ultra aslo support fast charging with EP881. Since I lost my charger(EP880 which comes with phone.) so I want to buy one. 

Also got to url http://www.sony-asia.com/product/ep881 which says EP881 is output voltage is 120 Volt but EP880 has out put voltage only 5V.

Is it ok to charge Xperia  with EP881. Will extra voltage harm my device z ultra?

Message 17 of 27
Message 17 of 27

EP881 cannot have that much voltage.It has 5V.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 18 of 27
Message 18 of 27

Hi Pdarshan,

Could you please verify that EP881 has out put voltage 5 V not 120 V.

Also go to url http://www.sony-asia.com/product/ep881 which says EP881 is output voltage is 120 Volt but EP880 has out put voltage only 5V.

Is it ok to charge Xperia Z ultra  with EP881. Will extra voltage harm my device z ultra?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 19 of 27
Message 19 of 27

It's a typo on that page. The output on EP881 is 5V, not 120V and you can use it for Z Ultra.
The output voltage is also printed on the charger but you should never connect a charger with another voltage than 5V to your phone.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 20 of 27
Message 20 of 27

Thank you Rickard,

Sony Xperia z Ultra supports fast charging with EP881 or EP881 will charge my phone normally as EP880 does.

Thanks in advance Slightly smiling Face.