account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

One time poster
Message 83 of 578
Message 83 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

I have just been quoted £180 to have it repaired by a third party, after reading this thread i figured it looks like Sony are not going to be taking any responsability for this fault Slightly frowning Face I love the phone (even with the constant rebooting to receive email and the very poor wifi antena) but i am afraid to say at £180 for the repair and the chance that the same thing could happen again i may just buy a different handset.

Visitor
Message 84 of 578
Message 84 of 578

i got quoted £211 to atleast they are consistent in prices??? "NOT".

Like i said. im waiting for trading standards on this one but i think we need to sort some kind of list out of people this has happened to and Sony has fobbed off?

Visitor
Message 85 of 578
Message 85 of 578

I think the cause of my back panel breaking was due to the screen not being installed centrally in the chassis. On mine the glass at the bottom right of the phone was touching the phone edge and on the oppersite side there was a large gap! I think the phone heated up (which it does all the time) and caused the glass to expand with no where to go!

Have a look at the gap around the edges of your phones chaps!

Message 86 of 578
Message 86 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

same problem with me but sony dont want to understand they refused to cover under warranty even in my phone a single hair line damage

One time poster
Message 87 of 578
Message 87 of 578

I have also had my screen crack, I actualy saw mine break with my own eyes whilst using it and it wasnt even being touched when it failed. The phone was very hot at the time as i had been using it for well over 30mins and the cracks just apeared and spread from one side of the screen to the other. The phone had never been dropped or crushed, I am awaiting phones4U repair centre to return it as they quoted £199 to replace but I canot accept paying for something that was not my fault. I have now logged this with Sony and the phone will be sent there as soon as it arrives, I dont hold up much hope as its always going to be your word againt their's but there is a definate flaw with this phone that is effecting a minority of users.

Visitor
Message 88 of 578
Message 88 of 578

Sorry to hear about your phone wookiebear! This is a crap situation to be in! The sony repair center will first tell you the phone is out of warranty because the glass is cracked (regardless of reason), after you call up sony (don't even bother calling the company who raise the quotation the company who has my phone is called SBE) you need to explain to sony what happened (for probably about the fifth time by now) they should then escalate you claim and will request the repair center to actually investigate the cause of the glass cracking without physical damage.

I'm still awaiting to hear the results of my escalated case, it's been a complete knightmare so far! Sony have failed to escalate my claim TWICE so far!!! I first escalated around the 20th of June which was apparently not done correctly which i found out after calling them on the 28th after not hearing anything. I was told about the balls up and the operator on the phone told me she would escalate it that minute and that I would hear from Sony on Monday with the results of the investigateion.

I called Monday the 1st of July (two days ago) and was told by an operator who was quite short with me to wait until Wednesday (I explained i was told I would hear on Monday). So today I called Sony having not heard anything and today I was told that my claim was only escalated two days ago (Monday). At this point I could have screamed but I asked the woman that the claim was escallated on Friday the 28th and not Monday the 1st and she told me that the escallation wasn't done properly FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!!!

I've now been told that I will hear something by this Friday. Needless to saying i'm f*cked off at the whole situation!!!!!

Long story short: Wookiebear, prepare for the long haul!

Commissioner
Message 89 of 578
Message 89 of 578

Really sympathize with the glass crack issue. Think Sony tried in a failed attempt to introduce style over substance for Z. Tempered glass has 2 nemesis: corners and heat. Pressure to the glass will cause those imperfect ones to crack or shutters. Same thing happened from where I lived. Whole shower screen shuttered due to build up. Nevertheless, it affects only those not made properly so I think Sony need to consider getting better shutter proof protection for Z.

Visitor
Message 90 of 578
Message 90 of 578

Hi all,

This is not meant to sound bad but i am so happy others are having this issue as well.

As SONY point blank refuse to deal with this im waiting for trading standards to approach.

In the meantime i want to put a list together of people having the same issue.

Can i suggest anyone in the UK having this phone problem contact someone at sony

David Hogg (Manager who last dealt with me)

0870 523 7237 (i know, 0870 Slightly frowning Face sorry)

By all means tell him Anthony told you to call because i want this recognised and all of us "UNFORTUNATE Sony Pawns" get replacement phones..

To be honest. i dont even know if i want another Xperia Z if this is their attitude towards us!

Visitor
Message 91 of 578
Message 91 of 578

Hi Again.

I have created a petition to see if we can people to sign it and make a real record of how many people this is happening to

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/sony-admit-xperiaz-has-a-major-flaw-and-replace-refund-custom...

Would appreciate all of your help

Thanks

Anthony

Visitor
Message 92 of 578
Message 92 of 578

Hey Anthony, I've signed your petition! I know what you mean about being glad it's happened to another person, I too have that feeling at the back of my mind because it's another voice strenghtning our argument.