account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Visitor
Message 63 of 578
Message 63 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Hey GeoffH, no one should bite your head off for you putting your opinion forward! I certainly will not. I think your right regarding the implied application of the glass in the article, I'm just hoping some of it might apply here. Your last point is indeed my greatest concern, proving to Sony I didn't break it by accident. Which is why I'm not sure to bother sending it off or not.

Commissioner
Message 64 of 578
Message 64 of 578

Do not agree with you at all. Glass is still glass. Even Corning do not warranty their Gorilla Glass as unbreakable. Their latest Gorilla Glass 3 cracks on the 3rd drop. See link:  http://www.neowin.net/news/galaxy-s4-drop-test-shows-cornings-gorilla-glass-3-is-still-not-impact-re.... What I suspect is that out of let's say 100 tempered glass, 2-5 would be defective. You can't tell it just by looking but over time, the heat generated by the phone will build pressure on the glass and soon enough, it will crack. The shutterprove film is actually to further enhance the toughness but sadly, I think Sony XZ is not made of the top most quality. You can do your own research and notice that similarly designed phone like iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 has the sane issue. But N4 do have more reports of spontaneous glass break. You pay for what you get, but the least Sony can do is look at this issue and I believe they would be able to distinguish abuse from defects.

Visitor
Message 65 of 578
Message 65 of 578

Bearings schrieb:

See link:

Sorry, but these so called "Tests" on youtube are useless, none of the testers has a standardized build up.

Maybe the S4 has more reports, lets take a look an the Number of sales:

Xperia Z - 4,6 Millions in 40 Days

S4 - 4 millions in 4 Days

You see what i mean?

Visitor
Message 66 of 578
Message 66 of 578

Forgot one Thing:

Even with completely shattered glass works the S4 perfect - the Z, with just a crack, does not!

Genius
Message 67 of 578
Message 67 of 578

I'm so happy you have found something  - be careful with that Samsung - it is actually glass also - good luck and bye bye

Visitor
Message 68 of 578
Message 68 of 578

You are right, i have found something that is a lot better/tougher than the Z, it has Android 4.2 (without Months of begging to the Manufacturer), a much better Camera, the Battery holds more than 2 Times longer, G-Glass 3 and hey, when the G-Glass breaks - the Phone still works absolutely fine. Smiling Face with open mouth & closed Eyes

It´s just 1 Point that speaks for the Z:

Design! The Z is for me the best looking Phone on the Market.

Now make it better Sony, maybe i come back to you when you learned to hold what you promised!

Genius
Message 69 of 578
Message 69 of 578

don't be dropping that samsung telephone in the big white telephone - it leaks lol

glad you're sorted - can we assume you're going to bend another ear for the next few weeks Winking Face

regards........plop

Visitor
Message 70 of 578
Message 70 of 578

A very adult answer to clear facts, this is almost like an apple forum, you have my respect! Winking Face

Sorry for writing my opinions and experiences and not being a fanboy of any manufacturer. Dizzy Face

Don't worry, if the s4 has flaws I will write as well in a samsung forum.

Commissioner
Message 71 of 578
Message 71 of 578

And I thought you would have gotten Nexus 4,which also hss a glass backing like Z, instead of plastic. Well, enjoy your S4 but I would have waited for Nexus 5, which is a vanilla S4, or S4 Active, which has both water and dust resistance like Z, with all the features of normal S4.

Visitor
Message 72 of 578
Message 72 of 578

The Plastic on the back doesnt matter to me, for me the first important reason on a phone is functionality.

I wrote in another thread, the water- an dustresistance is also not important to me, for my outdooractivities i use my good old motorola defy which is strong like a m1 abrams tank. :smileygrin:

The Nexus 4 is rare here in Germany, no Provider has it with a Contract and the Date of Release for the Nexus 5 is unclear.

My Luck was that my Wife wanted a new Contract but she will hold her old Nokia Phone (she hate touchscreens), so i became an S4 for 0€. Smiling Face with open mouth & closed Eyes

The Z would be repaired when the Prices gets lower.