account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

One time poster
Message 473 of 578
Message 473 of 578

My xperia Z screen got cracked on its own

Dear friends, 

Please never ever buy any Sony product ever in life.....they are such a waste of a company.......

My xperia Z screen got cracked on its own this saturday................& sony ppl say that i need to pay 15495/- for the entire handset replacement....

wat a joke,,,,,are they here to just here snatch money from us.

Frauds!!!

One time poster
Message 474 of 578
Message 474 of 578

Re: My xperia Z screen got cracked on its own

yup my compact did same thing, after numerous messages to sony and o2 i was told i had to pay as damage was not covered undser warranty, even if the phones screen cracked itself, from under the glass. ( no damage to outer glass at all just the screen. ) and the thieving gets deny responsibility. as much as i hate apple i might have to return when contract ends

One time poster
Message 475 of 578
Message 475 of 578

Re: My xperia Z screen got cracked on its own

The backscreen on my Xperia X cracked and this was it seems due to the heat. I understand that as the phone is sealed, water proof, that when the battery heats it has nowhere to escape and so the cover expands and contracts causing the cracks. Anyway I sent the phone to Sony and they repaired it, and also replaced the battery, which is perhaps telling. Anyway I found the service to be fast and reliable. I note some posts on here refer to, or infer, people are lying and that the screen couldn't crack unless hit or damaged in someway. Quite clearly some people will try it on although that is not always the case so perhaps do not always be so cynical.

Rookie
Message 476 of 578
Message 476 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Sony's replies to my emails: "As you are aware, your Sony Xperia Z/Z1 has recently been examined by engineers at our service location. They have identified that your handset is not covered under the manufacturers’ warranty and the display cracking is not due to defects in design, materials or workmanship. As with any issue on your handset our engineers would fully examine the handset and the issue to see if it is covered by the terms and conditions of the Sony warranty. In this case they have diagnosed that the issue appeared not due to component failure but as a result of impact of stress damage on the screen."

My phone was on the locker. It was in perfect condition when I put it there and 1-2 mins later when I took it the phone it was not responding to my touch and 1 very thin cracked appered on the LCD (just under the top screen). ??????????

Message 477 of 578
Message 477 of 578

I too experianced the Experia Z1S phantom screen crack. After a recent phone call I laid the phone on the table. A few minutes later I decided to call someone, turned the phone on and no touch response! After looking at it closly I noticed a hairline crack projecting out from the right side near the power switch. This is the 3rd Z1S I have had in as many months. The 1st one, I awoke in the morning and picked the phone up from the nightstand to make a call and it too had no response and the phantom crack in it. I took it to the T-Mobile where I purchased it and they told me it was not covered under Sony and I would need to call the insurance. In the end, I paid the $150.00 insurance deductable to have it replaced. The 2nd time the phantom crack appeared I had just finished watching a youtube video and went to make a call but the screen was not responding to touch. I was furious that this had happened within 3 days of recieving the replacement from the $150.00 insurance deductable I had just paid. I took it to the T-Mobile store again and this time they said it could be replaced under warranty but for a fee of $5.00. I reluctantly agreed, since I had already invested $600.00 for the purchase +$150.00 for the 1st replacement.

On July 12th 2014, I sent the 3rd phone to SONY repair place to be evaluated, as advised by SONY support. My tracking number indicated the package was delivered on July 22 2014. Fast forward to today July 28th 2014 I have yet to hear a response from anyone regarding my phone.After looking online I don't have much hope for the result. There are literally thousands of people being ripped off by SONY on this one!

Good luck to all, may we all be compensated in the end for this manufactured peice of junk!

One time poster
Message 478 of 578
Message 478 of 578

Anybody sceptical about whether the Xperia is cracking on its own should check out WatchDog back in May.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/05/30/bbcs-watchdog-investigates-xperia-z1-cracking-screen-issue-sony...

According to the programme Sony admitted no liability for the problem at first but the usual media pressure told and they have since put up a phone number for anybody experiencing this problem.

However, in my opinion Sony should be ashamed of themselves. Too many of these phones are clearly too poorly made to be used and that is leading to poor customer satisfaction. I can understand Sony not wishing to recall them, but unless they can tell me otherwise (please do), they have done nothing to alert customers directly or indirectly to the problem.

I bought my phone from Vodafone and 5 weeks later it cracked in the middle of the night sat on a table. I instantly lost all my photos because the phone would not work above the crack so the Vodafone shop couldn't dump them off before repair.

Now here's the rub. Vodafone had never heard of this problem despite the fact that Sony are one of their biggest suppliers. I had to point them to WatchDog and they had to google this forum. They then fixed my phone in house and are attempting to charge me £190.

And get this! I knew it wasn't my fault! I watched WatchDog! How many thousands of people are paying for phone repairs they think are their fault because Sony don't want to confess they have been selling people phones that are unworkably fragile.

So, if your mobile service provider sells the Sony Xperia and they don't know anything about the cracking issue (because Sony haven't got the message out) then ask yourself what kind of company sells duff products and would rather its customers suffer than do a recall or actually deal with the problem.

Sony is a name I have always associated with quality. I'm bitterly disappointed with this outcome and I'm hoping others will share their stories too!

Thanks for listening.

Dylan

One time poster
Message 479 of 578
Message 479 of 578

I've had my z2 for four days and I haven't dropped it at all. Yesterday I pull it out of my pocket and the whole back was spiderweb cracked everywhere. And I haven't dropped it at all
Rookie
Message 480 of 578
Message 480 of 578

This has happened to my Z Ultra, but the guy on the phone said that my phone 'wasn't mentioned on Watchdog so it doesn't apply.' Apparently a specific piece on Watchdog is the only thing that will guarantee fair customer care from Sony then. I'm sending it away anyway in the hope they'll treat it correctly as there is just a single horizontal hairline crack caused by no impact or other object in my pocket.
Message 481 of 578
Message 481 of 578

Update......I just got my phone back from SONY. Thankfully they replaced the phone. I'm glad they are realizing the product has a problem with "self cracking" Hopefully they can fix this problem in the future and be able to replace the Z1s with a phone that is made for everyday use instead of every week repair. You can do it SONY, we know you can!

One time poster
Message 482 of 578
Message 482 of 578

I have the same problem  as did my daughter

• She bought from argos, took it in replaced no quaestions asked though slightly oder than mine
  • I bought from an amazon re-seller who advised sending it t sony which I dis, got a leteer from SBE respairs saying phone physically damage and wanting to chargeover £100 to repair!

I will be speaking with them tommorow!!!!

Trevor