account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Visitor
Message 53 of 578
Message 53 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

It's disappointing to say the least, I'll try calling Sony and see what they say, I can't see O2 being of much help in this scenario.

Emperor
Message 54 of 578
Message 54 of 578

for what I've read on other threads on the SAME TOPIC, the cost to replace the screen its almost as much as a new phone, perhaps the back panel its cheaper, but if its only $50 to get it done through O2 I would go that way if that was my phone.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 55 of 578
Message 55 of 578

It's £50 not from O2 thou from my insurance company CUSU.

Emperor
Message 56 of 578
Message 56 of 578

oh ok

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 57 of 578
Message 57 of 578

Thought it might be worth clarify encase googlers find this thread.

Genius
Message 58 of 578
Message 58 of 578

lucky you have insurance - the repair bill on these new devices can be quite high, I'd recommend everyone to have insurance

Visitor
Message 59 of 578
Message 59 of 578

I am lucky i have it insured, even more lucky its the back thats cracked!

Commissioner
Message 60 of 578
Message 60 of 578

This breakage is not unusual for tempered glass. Wiki has this explaination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Sony should look into repairing it for you free of charge since it's likely a manufacturing defect.

Visitor
Message 61 of 578
Message 61 of 578

Wow nice link! I didn't know such a thing existed but that really is what I thought and I really am confident I didn't damage the phone myself in anyway. I spoke to Sony on live chat earlier and they said the need to have the handset to examine it. If they find no fault then I'll be charged £10 handelling fee. I don't know what to do as I don't know how they can check I'm telling the truth.

What do you guys think?

Genius
Message 62 of 578
Message 62 of 578

I'm not going to join sides here and wish you all the best getting your phone sorted ....... but

That article you posted is very obviously referring to glass of industrial building household class of toughened glass - it is not related to dragon or gorilla glass types found in mobile devices

I'm not saying that defects don't occur during manufacture indeed installation but I find that senario highly unlikely

I read these types of threads with interest as I also have an EZ and would not like to be in a sistuation of having to repair my device for breaks in the panels front or back

there is a long history of glass breaking on mobile devices going back to the very first iphones - this glass is tough but I'm also under no illusion that given the right knock it will break - I've seen an EZ being run over by a car and survived but I also believe that a knock in a particular way will likely cause damage

Is there a possible defect causing some of these breakages ?   well I would have no idea but I'm also aware that  proving such a thing to Sony would be extremely difficult