account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Visitor
Message 452 of 578
Message 452 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

I suspect the poorly ventilated waterproof case coupled with the protective cases inside the warmth of a pocket contribute to the soft-edges of the brittle tempered glass near the rounded alumalite edges cracking. If you glue the glass to the underlying structural body, the slightest flexion will crack the glass because the materials cannot slip relative to each other, the glass cracks, the metal remains unscathed and the owner looks like a feckless miscreant. The Z was aesthetically designed; engineering was secondary. The torsional cracking begins at the glass edge, point of maximal deflection. This weakened point is then the phone's expansion joint, the crack does not heal itself. It quickly becomes exponentially larger. Sony has enjoyed the appearance of a responsible corporation for admitting that this design fault exists, however, it is lying through ommittance by minimizing the real problem that is inherent in a design shift like the Xperia. Hence the "compact" models!
Visitor
Message 453 of 578
Message 453 of 578

The glass is glued in place, the cracks are a consequence of disparate thermal expansion, modulus of elasticities and the inability of layers to "slip" relative to each other. The tempered glass is softened towards the edge, the rigid alumalite frame completes the perfect focal point for a torsional fracture to begin.
One time poster
Message 454 of 578
Message 454 of 578

Re: Xperia z Screen Crack Tips

It is true that glass will not crack on its own, however if you are like me, my Xperia glass is fine but there is a crack in the digitizer, not a scratch, nick or dent on the glass or the rest of the phone for that matter. It was always in a leather flip type case with built in bumper and had a screen protector. I put it in my pocket then next thing you know crack. I am sure that my pocket is no harsher then anyone elses!

I am a qualified Electronics Technician, I am not a Sony Authroised repairer whoever I am authorised for other brands, I agree that the glass is tempered and very strong but what is the point if the actual screen below is weak and prone to faults?

I note that in the US Sony has accepted that if there is one hairline crack in the digitizer and the glass is fine then they will repair it under warranty. My Z1 is currently being inspected at a repair centre, I can only hope that Sony Australia has the same idea! 

One time poster
Message 455 of 578
Message 455 of 578

screen cracked on its own!

hi. so i own a XPERIA Z .. and there is a problem. i had put my phone on the bench, walked away for a moment, went back to my phone and the screen was playing up, it was going in and out of apps and then all of a sudden it came to a complete stop and became unresponsive, then i noticed my screen had a crack in it. the crack was not from me or anyone else as it was only me in the house, in my mind i was going crazy wondering how on earth it could have cracked on its own. so i looked up forums on the internet, and apparently this has happened to talot of people, the same problem, the same phone. people have had them placed somewhere or in pockets only to find the screen has been cracked, i have since found out from other people i know that they have had the same problem and they have turned back to iphone! i have this phone only for 8 months. because it seems to be a relatively common problem that i wasn't aware of when i made the purchase i sent my phone to vodafone and they sent the phone to sony to get it looked at, and sony has claimed the crack has been from impact, which it was not! but it seems on research this has happened to many people with the xperia z. i am the sort of person who takes personal responsibility for mistakes that i make and would not claim for something that is not truthful. in all honesty i cannot personally recommend this phone to anybody who wants a recommendation for a phone, and nor do i feel inclined to possibly deal with sony products n the future. i absolutely love this phone and have enjoyed using it, but i don't find much satisfaction in sonys response to my very real problem. if i had not looked up many documented testimonies to the same thing i would understand the response but because it seems to be a very real problem with a sony product i expected a better communication. i am hoping that with this email that i will have some kind of response more satisfactory than i have already had.

One time poster
Message 456 of 578
Message 456 of 578

self cracking screen

Hi all I hear there is a common problem that Sony refuse to recognise. My screen cracked right in front of my eyes while it was in my hand. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Luckily my phone is insured but it cost me 75 excess and on say they have never heard about it before (lie)
Message 457 of 578
Message 457 of 578

I just had a similar problem. The screen somehow shattered while it was on my bed.

One time poster
Message 458 of 578
Message 458 of 578

Xperia Z Hairline Crack

My xperia Z is only 8 months old, was a fantastic phone, until this morning when i tried to answer a call but couldnt, phone was unresponsive, only to find it had 2 hairline cracks under the screen, bottom right corner, phone was left on my bedside table and was working perfectly when i put it down, never had any pressure on it or dropped, VERY DISSAPOINTED.

contacted o2 provider, what a waste of time that was, now awaiting a responce from sony..  unless its sorted will never buy another sony product, and tading standards might have a phone call.

Message 459 of 578
Message 459 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

Mine has nearly an identical crack, it happened today. So weird, was just sitting on the seat next to me in the car and then it had a crack! Now I can't use it and am going to have to send it away as there is no virgin shop near me. Pretty disappointing Sony!!

Message 460 of 578
Message 460 of 578

What the **bleep**,I have a tempered glass protector on it and a case, it has cracked underneath the tempered glass protector!!

One time poster
Message 461 of 578
Message 461 of 578

I've had the same experience. I had 2 parallel fractures on my glass, from no apparent reason and now the phone is unusable. My phone was in a rugged case, there was no dropping or violence involved. I double checked all edges and I had no keys or change in my pocket to stress the screen. It was a simple as into the pocket from one store to the next and when I pulled it to check a text it wouldn't respond to my touch. After reading some of the posts here I decided to try my luck at sending my phone off to Sony and have them repair under warranty.

Unfortunately they contract this work out to local companies which I know is common practice however, the company I had to deal with, SBE Ltd. out of Kent UK, wasn't very helpful. In fact after 2 emails and 3 phone calls that lasted oh hold over 10 mins each before hanging up on a number that charges 10p a minute I was finally able to get through to someone who was not having a good day. I'm sure the associate didn't mean to come off curt but I would expect a little bit better service from a support center contracted by Sony.

Cracks of any kind according to the SBE associate is considered 'cosmetic damage' and therefore not covered under warranty. This is really unfortunate in my opinion since the phone is absolutely useless when there is a crack in the screen. I would have been happy if they had fixed the touch input and returned a broken screened phone that was at least functional but that is not an option. Apparently, the cosmetic damage has to be repaired first before the phone can be opened up and troubleshoot for the touch input issue. That sort of work runs 180 quid which I can't afford right now.