account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Learner
Message 396 of 578
Message 396 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Scoops99, I've had exactly the same problem as you and others on here. I pulled my phone out my pocket at the weekend and there were two hairline cracks running diagonally down the screen rendering the top 2/3 of the screen useless.

I used to work for T-Mobile (now EE) and I have lots of friends who stil work there. They advised me to send the phone off for repair through the EE store and it would be repaired.

For good measure, I printed out the web page from the Xperia Blog that states Sony are admitting this is a warranty issue and the member of staff at the EE store included that with the repair doccumentation as well as adding a note to the repair form saying that Sony should authorise the repair.

All I can do now is wait. If they come back to me and say they will charge for repair, then I'll be contacting Sony directly, just like Scoops99 did. A quick internet search shows there is clearly an issue with this handset and Sony need to do the decent thing and acknowledge their mistake. I'm glad they're going to repair yours, Scoops.

THis whole experience is such a shame, because aside from the screen issue, the Xperia Z is by far the best phone I've ever had. This is an opportunity for Sony to have an even more loyal customer. I hope they don't waste it.

Visitor
Message 397 of 578
Message 397 of 578

-- Anyone in Australia who has a defective Xperia Z PLEASE READ AND SHARE THIS POST!! --

A bit of backstory:

Bought my Xperia Z in April this year for $600 AUD from Harvey Norman. On Saturday 7th December I was at the park with my nephew and sister, took my XZ out of my pocket to find the screen had multiple hairline cracks starting from just above the power button going to the top left and bottom left of the screen. These cracks were beneath the glass. The touchscreen was completely unresponsive, turning the $600 phone into a paperweight.

Started looking online about this problem ("xperia z overheating cracked" on Google returned a ton of results) and found it could be from an overheating issue. Made sense, because of all the times I have dropped my XZ, it has landed on its rubberized sides and not the front or back. Furthermore, the clerk at HN agreed with me that there was no sign of force on the cracked screen so there was no way it cracked from misuse.

Took it back to Harvey Norman on Monday 9th December and I was told this was the fourth Xperia Z phone that had been returned with this problem and Sony didn't want to give out refunds and own up to this problem. Because of this, HN wasn't too pleased so they were really pushing for refunds and trying to twist Sony's arm.

I also had a friend contact me and said two of his workmates also had XZ's with cracked screens. 

HN called the next day to give me an update and offer a loaner phone (Nokia Lumia 520) for the meantime while they sorted out my refund. When I picked up the loaner phone on the 11th, they told me they had now gotten the Sony Australia executives involved and were in negotiations to arrange refunds.

I've just gotten off the phone with Harvey Norman now. It turns out they tried to contact me on Friday. They've been authorized by Sony to give a refund or replacement to a different phone. They also told me that Sony admitted there may well be a defect with the Xperia Z!

Any Australians fighting Sony over a defective Xperia Z, go to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), seek their help and tell them about this admission. If the ACCC finds out about this, they could possibly twist Sony's arm and offer refunds for everyone or even a product recall.

Hope this helps!

One time poster
Message 398 of 578
Message 398 of 578

Thanks, I will be escalating this issue with the ACCC this week. I have been having an interesting time dealing with Sony Mobile AU, both through their "helpline" and on Facebook. 

Visitor
Message 399 of 578
Message 399 of 578

Re: Xperia z Screen Crack Tips

so then tell me right now what cracks it then, you seem to be defending this joke of a phone. I bought the xperia z and took care of it, i got a case and a screen protector and within 2 months it broke. I was charged 240 or so to fix it and i assumed maybe it was my fault so i paid up only for the screen to crack again 2 weeks whilst I was scrolling....so tell me mate if its not the heat then what exactly cracks it then? and sony will never take responsibility, they just blame the customer even though when you go on every single forum you see hundreds of people with the same complaint.

The screen is not fit for the market and someone should report sony for adverstising a 'durable' phone which turns out to be so poor. Dont get me wrong the phone itself is the best phone i have ever owned but the screen is not fit for purpose and a tiny crack renders it unusable and completely unresponsive, I dont know if you work for sony but if you take respnsibility otherwise you will lose so many more customers...like me im sacking this off and buying an Iphone and im going to encourage everyone I know not to buy sonys weak phones.

Visitor
Message 400 of 578
Message 400 of 578

Re: Xperia z Screen Crack Tips

so then tell me right now what cracks it then, you seem to be defending this joke of a phone. I bought the xperia z and took care of it, i got a case and a screen protector and within 2 months it broke. I was charged 240 or so to fix it and i assumed maybe it was my fault so i paid up only for the screen to crack again 2 weeks whilst I was scrolling....so tell me mate if its not the heat then what exactly cracks it then? and sony will never take responsibility, they just blame the customer even though when you go on every single forum you see hundreds of people with the same complaint.

The screen is not fit for the market and someone should report sony for adverstising a 'durable' phone which turns out to be so poor. Dont get me wrong the phone itself is the best phone i have ever owned but the screen is not fit for purpose and a tiny crack renders it unusable and completely unresponsive, I dont know if you work for sony but if you take respnsibility otherwise you will lose so many more customers...like me im sacking this off and buying an Iphone and im going to encourage everyone I know not to buy sonys weak phones.

Learner
Message 401 of 578
Message 401 of 578

I've just been in touch with the EE repair centre and they have quoted me £219.89 to fix my phone. I've just emailed Sony directly, told them that this is absolutely NOT physical damage and asked them to contact the repair centre to authorise my repair under warranty.

We'll see what happens!

Rookie
Message 402 of 578
Message 402 of 578

Same problem here, mine went pig on Saturday 14th December. Had a call earlier to say that there would be a charge of £237.56 to fix it so I rang O2 and surprise, surprise they've never heard of the problem. I now have to wait for the phone to come back so I can send it to Sony.

To be honest, even if it gets fixed I won't get another Sony phone and I sure as won't stay with O2. I don't appreciate being lied to or being charged for something that is clearly not my fault. I will strongly advise my family, friends and customers to avoid both like the plague.

Visitor
Message 403 of 578
Message 403 of 578

Message 404 of 578
Message 404 of 578

I will do my best to let everyone kniw not to buy tbis phone i had same cracks and sony did nothing about it.if you want a goid phone go apple or samsung the glass is way better never had a problem.dont buy thisphone sony is horrible with the customer survice.
Message 405 of 578
Message 405 of 578

Sony glass **bleep** if u cant put a phone in your pocket with out it breaking dont buy it please sony repa ok r will over charge u to fix it even tho they should have fixed problem with no charge.