account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Learner
Message 386 of 578
Message 386 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

https://www.facebook.com/sonymobileuk/posts/10151750002166372?comment_id=27926226&offset=0&total_com...

please post on this the complaint is under my name senga anita Blackmore and is on the left hand side of the page i have a complaint on there page and have posted loads of evidence on the page about the crack problem ths probably wont make any diffrence but im trying ! 

Visitor
Message 387 of 578
Message 387 of 578

Seems I'm adding my cracked phone issues to an epic tale of woe. My Xperia Z has been virtually unused today. Haven't dropped it, but the back of the phone has mysteriously cracked. Will need repairing but seems the cost is very high. Hoping Sony can repair under warranty as I've only had it a few months and there's no reason that it should've just cracked.
Learner
Message 388 of 578
Message 388 of 578

good luck im not holding much hope for mine ... after i have sent it to get assesed. if they fix it  bonus if they dont ill sell it for parts and buy a better phone than this piece of rubbish !

One time poster
Message 389 of 578
Message 389 of 578

Let me be the next person to add to the saga that is the Sony Xperia Z and the screen that just cracks.

As so many of you have put in this thread already, I too suffered the shock of pulling my recently purchased Xperia Z to see that the front screen had cracked even though it had done nothing that sit in the pocket of my jeans with no external force put onto it.

I have today mailed the Sony Customer Support here in Australia, but reading this forum makes me think that the response will be either none existent or one that says it is my fault and that I will have to pay what seems like 2/3rds the price of the actual phone to get it replaced.

As someone who has owned only Sony Ericcson / Sony handsets since owning a mobile phone to say I am disappointed in what has happened is an understatement. This is the first major defect I have had on any phone made by Sony and I hope that my issue will be resolved, but feel that I am going to be stuck with a $400AUD paperweight in which I am going to have to spend at least another $200 to get repaired / replaced.

I am happy to keep people updated with my fight, but feel already having read this forum and a few others like it that the news I will be posting will not be good news.

Visitor
Message 390 of 578
Message 390 of 578

You can chalk another one on the board when it comes to the screen cracking on its own.

I was looking to buy a premium smartphone and have always been a fan of Sony because their game consoles and A/V equipment have always been great in my experience. The Sony Ericcson phones are a completely different story but I noticed the Xperia Z getting all these good reviews and thought maybe Sony have finally got it right.

I bought one outright in April for $600 Australian dollars from a retail chain called Harvey Norman. Loved it. It was fast, responsive, stylish and most importantly durable.. Or so I thought. This past Saturday I was at the park with my sister and nephew and went to pull my phone out of my pocket to take a photo. The screen wouldn't unlock- it was unresponsive. I thought "no matter, I'll just lock it and try and unlock it again".

When I did, I noticed a few nice hairline cracks starting in almost the exact same spot as the pics on the first page of the thread. A few went down to the bottom left of the screen and a few to the top left. How this could happen, I'll never know. The few times I've dropped it it's been completely unscathed and most of the time landed on the rubberized sides. The crack is actually beneath the glass, so there is obviously no signs of force or impact.

Took it to the Harvey Norman store I bought it from just then and the clerk told me this is the fourth Xperia Z phone that has had the exact same issue and that the store is actually in a bit of a squabble with Sony because they won't take responsibility for this defect. He went on to tell me they have decided to no longer sell them because of this.

They're ringing up Head Office and will get back to me this afternoon or tomorrow to arrange a refund or an exchange to a different phone (leaning towards a HTC One or Lumia 925).

Very disappointed with the XZ. I was expecting maybe 2 years of use before having to upgrade. Sony still haven't got it when it comes to phones. Will still be buying Sony A/V products in the future but will avoid their phones from now on.

Visitor
Message 391 of 578
Message 391 of 578

Hi I have had exactly the same issue I bought a new sony xperia z having always been an iPhone user I stupidly decided to switch to the much hyped xperia z , I set it up and put on charge and when I took it off the screen would not respond, I couldn't see any damage so tried to look at the screen at an angle and caught a hairline crack on the glass , and that's from do dropping or pressure or trauma at all , I have sent to Sony's uk repair centre , and they only have one in kent ( surprise surprise must be because nobody comes back to the crap they make in 'premium' products 😢 ) I'm still awaiting to see what happens , if they do not repair are there any ideas as what us suffers of Sony's daylight robbery in the name of premium handsets should do ? I'm absolutely appalled that sony has not admitted there is an issue with these screens an offer free repair as well as an apology , disgusting Sony absolute disgusting from a reputable company like yours ...
Visitor
Message 392 of 578
Message 392 of 578

A bit of an update to my XZ dilemma:

I've had a call from Harvey Norman and the guys told me that they've now got the execs. of Sony Australia involved and are in talks with them to negotiate refunds or exchanges for every defective Xperia Z sold here.

HN are going to give me a loan phone until the refunds are sorted out. So far they've been excellent with their help and twisting the arm of such a stubborn company. Having recently been put out of a job and having to pay numerous bills, I can't afford to be another $600 out of pocket because of a defective pocket.

Gonna look at a Nexus 5 when all is said and done.

Apprentice
Message 393 of 578
Message 393 of 578

Sent mine back to their UK repairer SBE last last week after suffering the same problem, just spoke to them and they said it is not covered as I damaged the phone and will need to pay £200+ to get it repaired. Stated that I had just pulled it out of my pocket and there is no physical damage to the casing.

They are going to speak to the engineer again, but I don't hold out much hope.

Also spoke to Sony and they have no raised the issue with their 'Escalations Team', will again see what they say, but I think this is going to be a long drawn out battle.

Will never buy Sony again, premium products...... I don't think so!

If you are thinking of buyng this phone then, think again.

Apprentice
Message 394 of 578
Message 394 of 578

I escalated my issue within Sony and the SBE the UK repairer, I quoted all of the blogs and the online petition and my disappointment with the phone and the service and just received the following email from SBE:-

'Hello,

In regards to the forums you have mentioned below, these are not official Sony output, just user forums, and therefore we cannot utilise these as part of the repair service offered.

Since this quotation was raised; a new product criteria has been passed to the repair centre from Sony, I have had a second opinion requested and your unit fit with these new policy, for it to be repair within the Sony warranty and with no fee required. I have advised the repair line and the repair will now commence within the warranty, hopefully this will be processed and return within the next 5 working days.

Quotes Support

SBE Ltd -Ashford'

Looks like something might have changed, hopefully others may get their issues sorted now

One time poster
Message 395 of 578
Message 395 of 578

I dropped my Xperia Z from four floors above ground, it's glass back got broken front still intact. can i change the glass back?