account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

One time poster
Message 353 of 578
Message 353 of 578

Re: Sony Xperia Z Screen issue(Cracked on its own within 1 month of purchase)

So tonight I got into a taxi, took my phone out of it's case and all of a sudden it pops and the screen cracks all over?? It's quite cold outside but surely the phone should not do that! I'm so infuriated by it as I take care of my phone! I'm hoping the warranty covers it, but knowing my luck they'll say that they can't cover it, or its damage that's been caused by me! Such a joke
One time poster
Message 354 of 578
Message 354 of 578

Re: Sony Xperia Z Screen issue(Cracked on its own within 1 month of purchase)

My Z has done the same as the this I got mine in July and this happened Thursday 07 November. Sony have said to send it to be looked at so they can see if the warranty covers it. I feelings are that Sony will say the cracks where down to me, I have been a Sony person for years now with a list of phones, TV's, laptops and other items that are Sony.  Come on Sony there are to many people whos phones have over heated and cracked for you to sweep this under the carpet the Z is a great phone until this happens, I have noticed that the Z1 screen is different is that due to the manufacturer fault with the Z ?????

One time poster
Message 355 of 578
Message 355 of 578

Re: Sony Xperia Z Screen issue(Cracked on its own)

I am so so glad that i am not the only person this is happening to. I bought my Xperia Z on 3 back in April after having moved away from Apple and am starting to regret it. Like many other people my phone started to get hot especially when listening to music and playing games but didn't pay much attention to this. However, one day in early October I had a call coming in when bang, that's right you guessed it, it wouldn't answer. 

In the right light you could see a very faint hairline crack/fracture from left to right at bottom of screen near enough where you would answer it making the phone useless.

I contacted Sony who were very apologetic and sent me a prepaid envelope to send off for repair which I did. 2 weeks later on the 25/10/13 I receive a letter from SBE (Sony's repairer) based in Kent stating that it wasn't covered under warranty as it was physical damage and the cost to repair will be £233.06 which includes "REFURBISHMENT, BATTERY, FLEX, EARPIECE, STICKER, DIAGNOSIS, PROCESSING AND DELIVERY. Mulling this over and looking for some answers I have today contacted SBE (14/11/13) and tried to raise a dispute over the damage to which they weren't very helpfeul. SBE stated that the LCD had broken and wasn't covered under warranty, I explained to the mindless nitwit that if the LCD had broken then the screen would be distorted which in this case it isn't and the screen display is perfect. I then went on to explain that the crack was below to which she very quickly interrupted and explained that it is part of the screen and all one unit. After this debarkle with SBE I paid the £14 to get the phone back. 

Not happy at all with this I rang Sony to complain, the man at Sony again apologised and put me on hold to see if there was anything they could do for me. This got me thinking about how many other people have had this issue. He then returned to say he had escalated it and would be 3-5 working days, I advised him that i had paid the £14 to have the phone returned to which he replied "OH DEAR, THAT COMPLICATES THINGS". I asked why and he replied "BECAUSE YOU PAYED £14 IT IS NOW GOING TO BE VIEWED AS AN OMISSION THAT YOU ARE LIABLE FOR THE DAMAGE".

I didn't know this at the time so I advised him that I would contact SBE and get them to retain to the phone until Sony have been in touch to which he replied "OK THAT SOUNDS FINE".

After the conversation ended it suddenly hit me and even more so reading some of these posts. When we bought the phone Sony would've known about the overheating problem causing the crack, they then wait for a percentage of handsets to be returned under so called "WARRANTY" claims knowing full well that it's not and then tell the consumer that it's PHYSICAL DAMAGE. This is a genius business venture. The phone brand new upon launch was £559 right, we buy it through a network provider or outright either way still paying for the phone and then within 6 months the screen goes so your expected to pay another £200+ for the repair so in total £759 for a phone. 

In my book that's fraud, especially as they know about the issue and Sony will not act on any complaint until they have spoken to the repairer. 

You can see the picture now right, brilliant but expensive phone with a screen life of 6 months or less, a repairer in there back pocket telling them it's PHYSICAL DAMAGE, I wonder how many people worldwide have been duped and ripped off by Sony and there so called repairers.

Even the Sony Centre told me "SORRY WERE SEPERATE COMPANIES". Load of crap.

I am going to give Sony there 3-5 working days to resolve my problem but after reading all these posts I already know the answer.

TO SONY,

YOU ARE SELLING DEFECTED PRODUCTS KNOWING THERE WILL BE A REPAIR COMING TO THAT PRODUCT AND THAT CONSTITUTES FRAUD, IT IS A CONSUMER'S RIGHT TO EXCERCISE THE SALE OF GOODS ACT AT THIS POINT AND REQUEST THAT A BRAND NEW, NOT REFURBED HANDSET IS SENT TO EVERY CONSUMER OF THE XPERIA Z AS IT IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

I will report back when I have heard more from Sony.

One time poster
Message 356 of 578
Message 356 of 578

Re: Sony Xperia Z Screen issue(Cracked on its own)

Well I was 1 day close in buying me an Z1. It`s a beautiful phone but I don`t want to waste my money:  the screen cracks, it bend`s... and it`s a 500 eur phone!!!!. 

That`s why the apple phones are 700 eur...because they are quality. I had an xperia s and wanted to go for z1  but i think I will wait and go for 5s.

Sorry for your troubles guys. And SONY you SHOUD BE ASHAME OF YOURSHELF!!!!

Rookie
Message 357 of 578
Message 357 of 578

Xperia display crack issue

I just wanted to ask you something pretty seriously.The thing is that for the very first time I bought an Xperia Z on the suggestion of one of my very good friends thiking it would not incur any commonly occurring problems as usually occur in other smartphonesbecause it was being hyped and shown by the company in that way.Happy I bought it and loved it in every possible way until one day it all happened.

I was busy cleaning my phone with my own hands and a soft piece of cloth suddenly I noticed I had received an incredible never seen before crack inside the physical display.To my surprise I kept thinking what the **bleep** just happened.

With a stone on my heart and crying from inside I seeked the assistance from one of the authorized Sony service center.A chill went through my spine when I was told that I would have to pay atleast 18000/- for getting the display repaired despite the fact there was no acidental damage not even in my wildest dreams.I thought to myself my friend just got his 50k+ laptop screen repaired in mere one-fourth the price and I am the biggest **bleep** to buy Xperia that could make me pay my entire savings of all these months.So all those people who are asking for my help to buy them a smartphone I warned that to stay away from Sony in every possible.Sounds rubbish, I know a bit hard to accept but we can`t run away from the reality.Can we?

So summing up I just wanted to ask you on behalf of everyone who are going through the same problem WHAT COULD BE POSSIBLE SOLUTION HEALTHY FOR BOTH(the company and the consumers)to weed out this problem?

This is a not just a mere question but also a stain on your crediblity and pride that you need to carry along a long way..

DO REPLY AT THE EARLIEST I AM WAITING!!

Rookie
Message 358 of 578
Message 358 of 578

Royal Customer Service

This is to inform everyone how well a LOYALITY is paid.You all remember few weeks back Sony has reported that some customers were facing display crack issue with no accidental damage;unfortunately I am one of them.So,I had submitted my XPERIA Zfew days back and today I again called them for the status.They asked me for 32000/- to repair my display.Can you believe that 32k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get XPERIA Z from retailers in 30k.....................

What happened to them??Somebody from the company has to give me an answer or I am gonna sue it like it has never seen before.

Learner
Message 359 of 578
Message 359 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

I'm very glad to see that I am not the only one to have this happen. I upgraded to an Xperia Z last June 2013 from an  iPhone 3s. I had the iPhone for three years without one problem in spite of having dropped it several times, soaked it (rain) and had it in my back pocket for almost all of the three years. I did crack the screen after it fell from the roof of my car this year but it still worked and I am back using it as I write this.

Now, the Xperia Z is touted as a durable, waterproof/dustproof phone. This infers a degree of toughness, that judging by the posts on this forum is completely false. 

When I bought the Z, I also bought a leather flip case for protection. The phone remained in the case the whole time except for when it was being cleaned. I also have a GoPro camera and was using the phone app to monitor the video so I removed the phone from the case to see the screen. I was distracted by someone and put the phone in my back pocket and sat down to talk to them for no more than 30 secs.

Some time later, maybe 15mins, my phone rang and low and behold, I could not answer the phone beacuse the touch screen was not responding. The screen looked fine and still looks fine except the phone was damaged when I sat down.

Just to remind you folks, I weight 89 kilos and am six foot so I'm not over weight.

Now, if a phone which is being touted as a waterproof and dustproof cannot be put into one's back pocket even momentarily, then the phone is not of merchantable quality.

Furthermore, to add insult to injury, the quote for repair was an eye watering €272 which instantly rendered the phone uneconomical to repair and there fore, a write off.

Even, if the phone had a visible crack like my iPhone and could still work, I could live with that. But to have a cracked screen render the phone unuseable and useless is a little hard to take.

Summary, if you sit down with The Sony Experia Z in your back pocket without a protective cover, you WILL write off your phone.

Now to me, that is unfair and wrong. 

Learner
Message 360 of 578
Message 360 of 578

Just one further note to above,I am taking a case in the small claims court and will be using these forum posts as exhibits in my evidence.

Rookie
Message 361 of 578
Message 361 of 578

i have purchased my phone on 27july2013 and it got a hairlined crack on display and after some time i seen that line is growing to the end.the touch pannel stopped working on 11november13.when i went to the service centre they replied that u have to give

17490 and will replace ur handset.when i cheked this forum than i realize that im not the single person suffering from this issue

there are several people from the same..i dont understand why sony is showing so mch irresponsiveness its a mojor issue in the handset.they dint use the proper spare parts.and have made GHATIYA product.i am planning to ladge a complaint in consumer forum.

Apprentice
Message 362 of 578
Message 362 of 578

Xperia ZR GLASS CRACKED