account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Visitor
Message 273 of 578
Message 273 of 578

Egg shell Xperia Z screen!

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

On my second screen in 6 months.The phone was never dropped, banged or overheated. second time my phone had an aluminium casing for rigidity to stop flexing. Great phone but with a MAJOR design problem of being built so fragile it shouldnt be taken out of its box or picked up in fear of the screen cracking! Samsung please

One time poster
Message 274 of 578
Message 274 of 578

Hello!

Got my XPERIA Z back in July, no problems until last week when the screen got a hairline crack from me picking dust out of the mouthpiece (very gently) with a pair of pliers. The whole screen is completely unfunctional. Goimng to cost £239 to repair. Absolutely disgusting.

Fair enough if i dropped it, but everyone is having issues with the LCD Screen cracking, and not the glass.

Ridiculous.

I love Sony, but really disappointed with this.

Adept
Message 275 of 578
Message 275 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

Everyone on this board should also make an effort to write emails about the situation, with links, to major mobile phone and tech review sites, such as cnet, endgaget, etc.. along with writers writing about the Z1, which likely will have same issues, and also to consumer groups an media. Sony knows about the problem but is not addressing it. Only pressure from outside will make them behave as they should. This is just rediculous. Also, email company representatives..

I have already done most of that and will be doing more. Just do the same. Also other users, even those thinking of Z1, need

to know what Sony is like once they already have your money. If I stumbled across a post like this, I would not have bought

this piece of crap. And that is what it is, with a 3 month life... Just garbage, with no support...

So do your part and do as suggested, if you want Sony act as it should and replace the phones. **bleep**, if they were a proper 

company, they would already have sent you a new Z1 with apologies and great wishes...

So far, they chose to act like like pricks. Towards buyers of their flagships. Some company...

One time poster
Message 276 of 578
Message 276 of 578

Re: Egg shell Xperia Z screen!

I have an Xperia Z smartphone, which I bought 4 months back, last week its front glass cracked on its own while on charging. Googled to find if anyone else faced this problem. Apparently there are hundreds of Xperia Z users facing the same problem. And Sony is asking for a whooping 500$ to fix my phone. Unless Sony responds against this serious issue, I wont recommend anyone to buy any Sony phone. I am losing faith and I feel cheated.

Rookie
Message 277 of 578
Message 277 of 578

Xperia Z broken screen

I am sad. I am sad because my almost brand new Xperia Z is now dead. The screen has a very fine crack in it, and is now totally unresponsive. It has not been subject to misuse, or been treated in any way it shouldn't. I had it in my pocket, (loose pants), and when I took it out the crack had appeared.
Of course I got upset, but even more so when I realized that this happens to a lot of customers with Xperia Z phones. I found dozens of threads on various forums with frustrated customers having their screen crack without them having abused it in any way.

My question now is, will it get covered by warranty? 

According to your website the Xperia Z is an extremely durable phone, with a frame made from glass fibre polyamid which is tough as metal, and durable tempered glass, which is a lot stronger than conventional glass, and makes the Xperia Z anything but fragile.

Before the Xperia Z I have had 3 other smartphones, and none of them were labeled as tough or durable, yet none of them cracked in my pocket.

I really hope, that you will live up to your responsibility.
Rookie
Message 278 of 578
Message 278 of 578

After about 2 months of relentless phone calls and emails Sony have finally decided to repair my phone for free, as it should be!

They said they will repair it as "a token of good will" so still not admitting some handsets are faulty, so I guess my advice is just keep badgering them until they get so fed up with you that they will drop the charges just to get you off their back...

Good luck!

Apprentice
Message 279 of 578
Message 279 of 578

Re: Egg shell Xperia Z screen!

One time poster
Message 280 of 578
Message 280 of 578

the same thing happened to my xperia z with no fault of mine. it was kept on the table and it cracked. i am from India please help me out 

One time poster
Message 281 of 578
Message 281 of 578

This happened to both my phone and my partner's, within the space of two weeks of each other! It seems like a terrible design flaw.

I contacted Sony and they originally said that I would have to send it in, and if it wasn't their fault I would have to pay for the fix or a £15 handling fee. However, after contacting the Floor Manager, I am now allowed to send it in without paying the £15 handling fee should I choose not to get it fixed.

I hope this helps anyone who is deciding whether to claim on their insurance or send it to Sony.

In other news, a Dutch consumer Watchdog has asked Sony to get its act together after receiving complaints: http://www.telecompaper.com/news/nl-consumer-org-gets-many-complaints-about-sony-xperia-z--968151

I have forwarded this all to Watchdog in a hope there will also be some kind of recognition from Sony. I suggest you do the same: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact and hope Watchdog will take it to Sony for us, as they seem to be ignoring the issue.

Rookie
Message 282 of 578
Message 282 of 578

Re: Xperia Z broken screen

Well, seems Sony are not interested in keeping their customers.

Just got word back from their service center. They claim it has been fysically abused, and offered to fix it for about 2/3 of the price of a new phone.

I call BS.