account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

One time poster
Message 253 of 578
Message 253 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

I got the same problem, but wihtout doing anything with the phone... It was left on a table... My Xperia Z heated a lot when charging or during conversations.

I think this phone is jsut crappy...

Sony answered it was not covered by the warranty and I just had to go to... (it was a little more polite though...)

My cracks looked exactely as yours... I guess thats a hardware problem but Sony wouldn't recognize it...

Visitor
Message 254 of 578
Message 254 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Somehow I have stopped receiving email updates on posts.

Visitor
Message 255 of 578
Message 255 of 578

Hi,

Same problem as Most of us are having.

Signup to the petition if you havent already.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/sony-we-want-you-to-admit-that-the-xperiaz-has-a-major-over-h...

Adviser
Message 256 of 578
Message 256 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

I went to work today ( I work at one of the largest telecom providers in the country) and asked around. It seems that Sony DOES have a problem with these phones but is denying so far. At work alone there are at least 6 people who have experienced the exact same problem. The issue was even taken up during an official meeting since we are getting lots of customer complaints. I also had contact with a web care agent of Sony; after explaining the situation he answered: "It MIGHT be a case of spontaneous cracking of the screen" ... so little by little Sony is getting to admit there is a problem. I was told they would look at the phones case by case and decide whether or not they cover the damages. Problem is also that spare parts are scarce... a repair could take up to 3 months...  I keep my fingers crossed. I am really sorry this happended to my Xperia Z; simply because I AM a huge Sony fan when it comes to mobiles; I had the S before this one; gave it on to my son and went for the Z. My job is giving me an Iphone5 for indefinate use... but honestly.... I don't want an Iphone... I want my Sony!!! LOL!!! Just hope they will handle this correctly.

One time poster
Message 257 of 578
Message 257 of 578

Re: Xperia z Screen Crack Tips

Had my xperia for 45 days and it has a hairline crack in the digitizer so nothing on my phone works at all.  I have never dropped it or been rough.  It has been in my pocket, but where was I suppose to carry it.  Sony is not making a quality product I just hope I can get them to stand behind it, so far no luck  athey say i'm screwed i will need to buy another $650 piece of crap and give it another shot.  i guess i had stupid in the tone of my voice when i talked to them.   I guess they win i can;t come across the phone and spank them,  they showed me  NO MORE SONY PRODUCTS IN MY HOUSE HOLD.  i'm sure they're worried. lol  oh well another expensive lesson.  

Visitor
Message 258 of 578
Message 258 of 578

Re: Sony Xperia Z Screen issue(Cracked on its own within 1 month of purchase)

It is with sadness i have to say I am also experiencing the same issue Slightly frowning Face

Phone fine one minute, goes back in pocket and comes out cracked and screen completely inoperable. All i did was walk around with the phone in my pocket.

Phoned my network provider (Virgin) and was put through to their insurance company...only to get home and see forums full of said problem through no misuse or damage by users. I have now  asked to be dealt with under warranty by Virgin and will see what happens. Obviously a known issue judging by the forums... here are some links to them:

http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php/949865-Xperia-Z-screen-cracked-on-its-own

http://hellopeter.com/sony/complaints/xperia-z-screen-cracked-by-itself-1163353

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/sony-we-want-you-to-admit-that-the-xperiaz-has-a-major-over-h...

The last link is of the utmost interest as it suggests the issue is due to overheating and indeed has a petition to sign regarding this issue.  Sound familiar? Yes Sony my Xperia Z did get alarmingly hot  while it was working. OVERHEATING

I feel terrible...i have sung the phones praises to friends (2 of which now have one too) only to experience a rapid loss of faith in an otherwise outstanding product.

Come on Sony...man-up and confess to the issue or lose a huge chunk of your customers ( yes I own a Bravia TV also )

Some of us have been loyal for many years and jumped at your flagship phone expecting infallable reliability as per usual from Sony but alas, i now feel like I have to prove i'm not lying about how my screen cracked by itself. I am posting these links to my Facebook page so as to spread the word. I will not pay a penny for this, i would rather cancel my contract with Virgin and refuse to pay a penny no matter what threats they will make about buyout clauses.

Angry Face

One time poster
Message 259 of 578
Message 259 of 578

Hi Anthony,

I know your original post is months old now but I was wondering how you got on with your situation? I woke this morning to find a crack across the screen. The last thig I did before I went to sleep last night was set the alarm. Today I can't do that because the top half of the screen is un-usable. My wife woke at 02:30 to find the screen active and very hot to the touch, she pushed the power off button to de-activate the screen. What do you think?

Cheers

Joner.

Message 260 of 578
Message 260 of 578

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Xperia support centre.

I can confirm that you still have a two year manufacturing warranty from the date of purchase; this warranty is still valid with Sony Xperia for any manufacturing faults. For more information on your Sony Limited Warranty please consult your User Guide or visit www.sonymobile.com

However, on inspection of your device we’ve found a non-manufacturing fault that is not covered by the terms and conditions of the above warranty.

We are unable to confirm how this damage occurred to the screen and can only comment on how we have received the unit; in general a fracture to a glass screen is normally caused by excessive pressure or blunt force.  On inspection of your Xperia Z handset, a Sony approved engineer has deemed there to be no manufacturing defects with this handset, this includes but is not limited to issues with the build of the handset, or the quality of any materials used within the product including the glass screen. 

Since the second opinion has also come back with the same diagnosis, we are to stand by the original inspection from the SBE repair team, and uphold the decision not to repair the screen free of charge under the warranty conditions.
As mentioned in my previous correspondence, should you wish to have the handset returned free of charge, please reply directly to this email stating so.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

For the latest news, information and product support please visit
www.sonymobile.com.

If you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us again. Please use the below link for all our contact information.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/support/contact-us/

Please be aware that should you not respond within 5 days of this email your query will be automatically closed. Any further communications will not reach our support and a new query will need to be raised.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan Merrix

Sony Xperia UK Escalations Team.

heres my reply

to questions.gb
yea i figured you would come back with that response , well i smell BS,especially on the number of phones (same model)that have this problem at least european wide.the phone overheats and THAT is why these screens are cracking.(by the way my phone has been in a protective case ever since i had it) but i am obviously not going to get anywhere with yourselfs ,so  if you will return the phone back to me so that i can get trading standards and watchdog to look into this has i feel im getting fobbed off by  sony

regards one disgruntled ex-customer

Visitor
Message 261 of 578
Message 261 of 578

currenlty on the 'secoond opinion' stage, have alread mentioned T/S, but they still fobbed me off by syaing i did'nt go to the seller (p4u who told me they would aslo consider as 'physical damage', and to contact sony). will await their second opinion and then go down tradings standards/watchdog route.

Apprentice
Message 262 of 578
Message 262 of 578

still a hot topic i see,