account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Visitor
Message 243 of 578
Message 243 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Wow, I just got the same problem with my Z Ultra. It just cracked on its own after I put it in my pocket...
How about your phone, did you get your warranty claim?

Rookie
Message 244 of 578
Message 244 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

I got the same quote from SBE for my Z too, I had a moan and they have escalated mine for a second opinion too. I've not heard anything yet.
Rookie
Message 245 of 578
Message 245 of 578

About 6 weeks ago now my Xperia Z screen broke completely on its own, I have seen lots other people complaining about this problem online. I am disgusted at the way Sony have handled my problem and was wondering how many of you have also experienced a terrible service from the company in regards to faulty Xperia Z screens, so have decided to take to the forum to try and put some more pressure on Sony to admit that some of their Xperia Z's have significant manufacturing defects and need to be replaced free of charge.  

Around 6 weeks ago I took the phone off charge, it was working perfectly as I answered a call with it, put it in my pocket after that and no more than 10 minutes later took the phone out to find a crack, underneath the outer layer of glass and actually in the crystals of the screen.

I went on to call the Sony UK helpline who advised me that the phone would have to be analysed by experts to see if what I was saying was true (ie. if it broke my itself or if I dropped it) so I sent the phone off to the Sony repair centre (SBE in the UK), being the company used by Sony to assess repairs I trusted that they would be a smart bunch of engineers and realise its a mechanical fault and that the phone didnt go through any physical impact or pressure stress that may cause this damage, but to my shock I was sent back a quotation for £241.06 .... now obviously these "experts" don't have a clue what they're doing, and are probably told that any phone that comes back to them with a screen problem is to be instantly labelled as "physical damage".

After calling Sony back once again I was told that my problem would be taken to an escalated complaints department and was to await a phone call back from these guys within 3 to 5 days. 5 days later and no call back. Phoned back after a week of waiting to find that my phone had been re-evaluated by SBE and the second opinion still claimed that it had been physically damaged...

So I tried emailing Sony, and had the same automated email response: "You can expect a response within 3 to 5 days". 8 days now and I still havn't had an email back.

I phoned them again and was told again that my problem has been passed on to escalated complaints department who will call me back today. Finally had a call back from them after further calls to the helpline hassling them to put me through to the escalated complaints department.

My phone has now been sent off for a third opinion with an independent repair centre, hoping they will realise that the broken screen is due to a manufacturing fault, and not any sort of impact or pressure damage.

Has anyone else in the UK had the same problem as me and managed to get their faulty Xperia Z screen repaired or replaced for free, as it should be under product liability laws?

I'm desperate for my phone back, as I need to take photos and get on the internet whilst on the move for my job. Without my phone my job is in jeopardy, please can someone advise me on what steps I should take as there is no chance I will be fobbed out of £240 for being one of the unlucky people that recieved a faulty handset.

Great phone, but Sony's inability to admit it has released some faulty handsets for sale to protect its image is disgraceful.

I have written to UK watchdog, please all do the same, hopefully they can bully Sony into admitting its faults as it feels like us, the little man, doesn't have a chance.

One time poster
Message 246 of 578
Message 246 of 578

Same thing happened to me, i woke up and unplugged my phone and realized there was a crack inside the screen and the top half is not responding, after a day in my pocket, there are more cracks that appeared. I see that i'm not the only one with this problem and wished Sony would aknowledge this. I"m really pissed, my phone was a month old and there is nothing, ill probably have to buy a new phone. I'm never buying any Sony product again for sure.

Message 247 of 578
Message 247 of 578

no joy from sony when they emailed me 

Thank you for your recent contact the Sony Xperia support centre.

We have received your Sony Xperia Z back from the independent repair centre, Fleet Communications.

They have provided the same diagnosis as our repair centre, SBE ltd. The handset has been deemed out of warranty due to damage to the display. In general a fracture to the glass screen is normally caused by excessive pressure or blunt force.

We are unable to confirm how this damage occurred to the screen and can only comment on how we have received the unit. However on inspection of your Xperia Z handset, two Sony approved engineers (Fleet Communications and SBE Ltd) have deemed there to be no manufacturing defects with this handset, this includes but is not limited to issues with the build of the handset, or the quality of any materials used within the product including the glass screen. 

We are to stand by the inspection by the repair teams and hold up this diagnosis, there is a charge for £ 236.70 if you do wish to have your handset repaired. Alternatively we can have the handset sent back to you unrepaired free of charge. 

If you do wish to have the handset repair please contact the repair centre on the following number and quote the reference number below:

not happy at all with sony  they are cop outs

Apprentice
Message 248 of 578
Message 248 of 578

Are they able to explain why the cost is so high? have you any photos of the crack?

Message 249 of 578
Message 249 of 578

i have yes

Visitor
Message 250 of 578
Message 250 of 578

I have had exactly the same problem, took my phone out and answered a call, 5 minutes later took my phone out to answer another call and two hairline cracks across the face rendering it useless. Spoken to Sony help desk and was told the same send it off for evaluation if the deemed it to be caused by impact they would repair it at a fee if I didn't want to pay it would cost £14.20 to send it back, so pd off is there not any governing body we can all write to as this is obviously a design fault.

Adviser
Message 251 of 578
Message 251 of 578

My Z in in front jeans pocket; face inwards, as always, I take it out to check for messages. Return it to my front pocket; face inwards again; I take it out 10 minutes later; the screen is inresponsive and as I check closely, I see a long crack from the bottom left corner to 3/4 up the right side... no small "delta like" cracks; just one long curved line.... what did I do for this to happen and does the warranty cover this???

Adviser
Message 252 of 578
Message 252 of 578

cracked screen.jpg