account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

One time poster
Message 203 of 578
Message 203 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Hi anthUKNE thanks for the reply glad to hear you are keeping up with this, I have been in store to carphone warehouse (where I got my phone from) to complain about my front screen cracking in my pocket without being banged or dropped so far they are not helping me at all (apart from quoting me £169.99 for a new screen and telling me I must of dropped or banged it) !!! My phone is now currently with sony still haven't heard anything back from them yet either !!!! .

Wookiebear any chance you could send me the letter you sent to Phones4U, I'm pretty sure this is the route I am going to have to take. Should I also contact Trading Standards ??

One time poster
Message 204 of 578
Message 204 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

Just to add to the list, I took my phone out of my pocket this afternoon after taking a call with no probles 20 minutes earlier and was shocked to find a crack from the power button accross the screen it litterally appeared to get bigger as I watched.

It seems, from speaking with 02 that Sony will just deny any issue with their product and put it down to user error.  Totally disgusted and will never by another Sony product.

One time poster
Message 205 of 578
Message 205 of 578

Another to add to the list here, my partner has this phone, and he took it out of his pocket today to find the screen had cracked from the top right hand corner right the way across.  The top half of the screen is now unresponsive. 

He's had the phone less than a month and I don't feel in any way that it is acceptable for a phone screen to shatter like that when in a trouser pocket, especially considering all the claims sony have made about the phone being water, scratch resistant etc. 

I still need to contact sony and see what they have to say about the matter, but hoping that if enough people have the issue, as it seems to be common, that it may be easier to resolve.

One time poster
Message 206 of 578
Message 206 of 578

My experia z LCD screen developed a crack last week. Touch screen wont respond at all. No visible damage to the hanset just a small curved split on the bottom left of the screen. The crack is only visible if you hold the phone at a certain angle and under a light. Sent unit last week to vodafone repair centre only to be called today to say it will not be repaired under warranty as they say i must of dropped it. They want £190.00 to repair which is a joke for a phone that is under 1 month old and shows no visible sign of damage or impact. It is also advertised as one of the most durable hansets available!! Having seen this thread i am going to contact them tommorow as it is obviously as design fault.

Regular
Message 207 of 578
Message 207 of 578

andyactive wrote:

The glass is tempered, it's similar to gorilla glass but around the edges tempered glass is brittle. Intact from what I have read, the front is dragontrail and the rear is gorilla. Dragontrail is completely comparable to gorilla.

The glass on the XZ is neither Gorilla not Dragontrail despite what it says on Wikipedia and in some reviews. Sony make no claim to this.

Message 208 of 578
Message 208 of 578

Add me to this list, My Xperia Z cracked in my pocket as well. I call Sony and they thought I was crazy. Loved my phone but now I'm just pissed. Nice looking phone but major screen defect. How can Sony say durable when the screen cracks in your pocket. Now, I see why they add the screen protector cause they knew the screen was crap. Sony this is a design / manufacturer problem not the users fault.

I never dropped my phone or anything and there was nothing in my pocket but the phone!!!

Oh..One more thing I can't even use the phone the screen has stop responding to my touch!!

IMG_20130808_083909.jpg

One time poster
Message 209 of 578
Message 209 of 578

I've also had the same issue with two Xperia Z's. The second cracked in the exact same place (bototm left corner) as the first and I discovered the crack just 4 days after getting it as a replacement for the first! First cracked in my pocket and the second has been in a drawer for the past two days.

After a bit of research online, it looks like there are hundreds of these cases. Has anyone enjoyed a satisfactory resolution yet? I think we should make an organized effort against Sony.

I would also encourage everyone to sign this petition in the meantime as well:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/sony-we-want-you-to-admit-that-the-xperiaz-has-a-major-over-he...

One time poster
Message 210 of 578
Message 210 of 578

this has happened to me, phone was in a case i removed it and spotted the crack on the back of the phone, contacted sony who have asked me to send for repair, they said this is not common so i sent a link to this thread, he said he'd feed it back...

One time poster
Message 211 of 578
Message 211 of 578

can you post the letter please?

Message 212 of 578
Message 212 of 578

exactly the same reply i had from sbe, i refuse to pay for this