account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Visitor
Message 133 of 578
Message 133 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Well GeoffH.

We all appreciate the 101 on how to store a phone in your pocket.  I personally think this is a new concept of storing a mobile phone and will no longer place it in my kevlar bag.

Personally my phone was on my pillow on charge. "It started to ring, took it off charge to answer then it cracked in my ear.

Do you have any suggestions on how to manage that going forward should Sony finally admit the major flaw in the XperiaZ.

Thanks

Genius
Message 134 of 578
Message 134 of 578

I am not the one you need to convince, in fact nobody here can actually help with this, it is between you and the service center in the UK

Do I think there could be a flaw in the Gorrila glass if what you say is true, quite possible but not for me to judge - I am just extra careful with my phone

Personally I wish you success as you pursue your claim

If it was me I'd be doing the same thing or I might just buy the back panel and fit it myself, I think about 70 quid

Visitor
Message 135 of 578
Message 135 of 578

GeoffH schrieb:

... in fact nobody here can actually help with this....

I dont think so, its a good place to look for others with the same problems and get in contact.

GeoffH schrieb:

.... in the Gorrila glass.....

Can you please show me the place where sony officially say that gorilla glass (or dragontrail glass) is used on the Z?

A link to a sony site that proof this is enough for me. On the german site its just called "scratchresistant glass"

Visitor
Message 136 of 578
Message 136 of 578

sony.com says:

The durable tempered glass used on the front and back is stronger than conventional glass.

No Gorilla or Dragontrail

Commissioner
Message 137 of 578
Message 137 of 578

There is no denying that glass is used for SXZ for a premium look and I am convinced that spontaneous glass breakage will occur since the back glass is frsmed within the body of the phone. The following wiki explained. well that toughen glass will start cracking from the corners since there is no place for expansion.  See link below:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

One time poster
Message 138 of 578
Message 138 of 578

The glass on my screen did not start cracking from a corner, it started from 2/3 up the left hand side and then progressed slowly across the screen to just below the power button with a second crack appearing 3/4 of the way across which went down to the bottom left corner.

Commissioner
Message 139 of 578
Message 139 of 578

Indeed there are more reason than one about why toughened glass will crack. There may be internal defects or thermal from the phone that causes it. Need Sony to check with manufacturer for an answer.

One time poster
Message 140 of 578
Message 140 of 578

I had a brief look a this thread. One thing I would note is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirztXNESeg&feature=youtu.be&t=2m27s

where the Sony official rep says it is not Gorilla glass

Genius
Message 141 of 578
Message 141 of 578

Indeed there are more reason than one about why toughened glass will crack. There may be internal defects or thermal from the phone that causes it. Need Sony to check with manufacturer for an answer.

indeed they are getting right on it - fingers crossed

I just wish I could help more on this thread- I hope the other 9 million owners are taking note

Visitor
Message 142 of 578
Message 142 of 578

I'll be phoning sony as soon as i can, i was on a call, and the phone got hot, (which is nothing unusual for my z) put it in my pocket and thought it would sort itself out like it normally does, took it out just before getting in my car to go home from work and it was cracked, crack starts from just above the power switch, across the screen in two sections. (will upload pics once i get a camera as i use my phone as a camera,,,,) i can't afford for them to say it's not covered under warrenty, but we're keeping your phone for further tests... never had this happen before, and the protective screen it still intact.

sony really need to look into this.