account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

One time poster
Message 73 of 578
Message 73 of 578

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

Same problem, the phone broke in my pocket. I have had a HTC in my pocket for 3 years..

One time poster
Message 74 of 578
Message 74 of 578

Re: Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Yesterday my 3 month Xperia Z front screen broke as i pulled it out of my pocket... Been told by three I will have to pay for repair and will take upto 3 weeks, also they have told me that i will be looking at around the £200 mark. I have had mobiles for nearly 20yrs and I've never had anything like this happen before, i used my w900i for 6 years and still have it..

I went to un-lock my phone and the touch screen swipe wouldn't work. I looked closer at the screen, as I have a screen protector on and noticed three fine cracks running across. I havent knocked it in any way, keep it in my jacket pockets out of habit..

Do you think that there are some faults/weaknesses on some of the glass.

Also a BAD designe with how u need the whole glass and screen repaced if it does break....

But I do love the phone in its self but not happy bunny with glass..

Visitor
Message 75 of 578
Message 75 of 578

I would contact Sony support (UK on 08705 237 237)

My Xperia Z was on charge. I took it off charge to answer a phone call. When I put the phone to my ear it exploded and cracked.

Sony sent it to Tokyo and said it’s not under warranty because their phone does not get "HOT". Obviously we all know it does get extremely hot. They even damaged my phone further to try and ensure it wasn’t covered.  But I had 4 witnesses in the store I handed it in to prove what condition my phone left in.

It is going to take everyone who has this issue to report it otherwise nothing will get done.

I have started legal action, if you want to join or help me in this.

Twitter @arichardsonukne

Thanks

Visitor
Message 76 of 578
Message 76 of 578

My phone is currently with Sony UK, atleast that is where I think it was sent to, I just used the address given to me in the return proceedure. I'll post when I have heard back.

This does seem like its become a widespread problem! Do you chaps think we might get somewhere even quicker if we contacted BBC Watchdog?

Good luck with legal action anthUKNE!

If you've had this happen to you and your on O2 don't even bother sending it back with them as their repair centre sent it back to me with reason of not being covered under warranty being: "The back glass is broken" Anguished Face, didn't investigate it at all (other than looking at it) Slightly frowning Face.

One time poster
Message 77 of 578
Message 77 of 578

Even Im facing the same problem with sony xperia Z(best of sony in smart phone)...

As i was going back home from a movie i took my phone out from my pocket to check the time. To my surprise i found top right portion of the toch pad was not working. After a keen observation i found a crack on my screen which is responsble for not working of the touch.

I'M 100% SURE  NOTHING HIT MY PHONE AND I WAS'NT JUMPING OR RUNNING I WAS JSUTING SITTING ON MY BIKE....

what is the solution for this ...?

will I get warranty for that if not how much does it costs..??

One time poster
Message 78 of 578
Message 78 of 578

Bought my xperia z less than three months ago.

woke up this morning to find my screen unresponsive and unable to turn off alarm. after a few minutes i discovered that there was a hairline crack running directly across the screen.

i have no idea how it happened.

i know it was working setting my alarm going to bed but broke at some point during the night or as the alarm went off in the morning.

quote on replacing screen is 170 euros

i will most definately persue sony for a replacement as it is clearly a manufacturing issue as i have never dropped or missused the phone.

i have found several instances online of the same thing happening.

my theory on how it broke?

anyone who owns this phone knows its prone to getting quite hot during moderate to heavy usage,

the constant heating/cooling tempers the glass and makes it brittle.

the case is perhaps too tight for the screen aswell which means eventually when it gets brittle enough it will crack for no apparent reason.

its a manufacturing issue and sony better replace it!

sorry for the long post but was really frustrated to find 550 euros worth of phone f***ed through no fault of my own

One time poster
Message 79 of 578
Message 79 of 578

Hi eleanor92 sorry for your phone....

Even i faced the same problem. when i went to sony service center regarding this issue they informed me "THIS IS A PHYSICAL DAMAGE SO IT DOES'NT COME UDER WARRANTY, IT COST RS.19300 FOR REPAIRING IT OR RS.19700 + DAMAGED PHONE FOR REPLACING IT WITH THE NEW PHONE" this is what they said.....

if you find any other solution please let us know. It will bw useful for many others facing the same problem...

One time poster
Message 80 of 578
Message 80 of 578

I got up this morning and Rebooted my xperia z as i have to quite a lot to receive my email on the handset.......evrything was fine. I drive to work and discover that my screen has a crack across the top left corner. The hanset has not been dropped......it is in a hardcase and also had a screen protector on it! Seems a bit suspect to me, I have contacted my provider and i am waiting to see what they say Slightly frowning Face

Visitor
Message 81 of 578
Message 81 of 578

Heya Mikeyboy, sounds like your in the same boat as us all now! I called Sony on Friday to see how my investigation was going to find out the operator I spoke to didn't escalate the case correctly so I'm still without my phone! Apparently I'm going to hear the results of the investigation later today, I'll update the thread when I hear more.

Visitor
Message 82 of 578
Message 82 of 578

Mine is with Trading standards on this one.

If anyone has this issue please help advertise this is happening and SONY REFUSE to do anything about it.

Sony say its not a manufacturing fault. wonder if it was just a batch issue?