account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia ZL - mic not working during calls

Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

Xperia ZL - mic not working during calls

Am facing a very strange problem last 2 days. The mic on my phone is not working while calling. The person on other side can listen extremely faint voice. When I turn on the speakerphone on my phone the mic starts working strangely. It also works well when I use voice recorder. I am on. 253 version. I have already done a factory reset and since the problem persisted I also repaired the phone using software update service but to no avail.

When I turn off the secondary Mic meant for noise suppression then at least the other person is able to hear me but not very clearly. Plus the voice fluctuates a lot with moments when the other person cannot listen to me at all.

Can someone offer some help please? I have faced other problems such as earpiece not working and on one occasion the phone went into a restarting loop and never could restart. In both the cases  I had to repair the phone. In the restart loop case I lost all my photos on the phone which were not backed up. I am very sad and frustrated that a flagship phone is facing these problems.

Regards

Pushkar

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

Re: Xperia ZL - mic not working during calls

I recommend you first to repair the phone software via Sony PC Companion:

Click on this link to get Sony PC companion:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/

Start PC companion, start "Support Zone", start "Update phone software" and click on "Repair".

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know if you are still having this issue after the repair of the phone software.

Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Thanks Henke. I try to repair through pc companion but it got stuck at "initializing" stage and did not progress for long. Will try again and persist for longer. Will update you.

Demigod
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

Good! If there is any problem during the update, make sure to have the latest Java installed on your computer: www.java.com

Also check Anti-virus software, firewalls etc. (those software can block Sony PC Companion sometimes)

Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

Henke - I did repair the phone using PC companion - and there is no change in the problem at all. The other person cannot listen anything when I am speaking. Plus when I disable the microphone suppression (for the second mic) some sound is heard but its very low and inconsistent. Looking at the problems I have been facing since I bought the phone, I think a replacement is warranted.  Let me know how to proceed. I am in Pune, India.

One time poster
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

Hi Pushkar

I also faced the same problem two days back on the xperia zl smart phone, where the microphone was not working. The other person was not able to listen anything. Even software reboot and factory reset nothing is working.

So I went to Sony Authorized Service station and they are replacing my phone. Even though Sony is replacing I am worried about the how long will the new phone will work as mine was just 2 month old.

Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

Hi Pradeep

MAny thanks for your response. I am happy to note that at least you are getting a replacement. I will now go tongue centre in Pune. Yes I am also worried as my phone is only 3 months old and I have already had a host of issues and have had to reset the phone at least 5 times. Very very sad state of affairs - I haven't bought non-Sony phone for 6 years now but it seems Sony is bent on forcing me away from Sony Slightly frowning Face

Visitor
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

Just for the record I'm having the same problem

One time poster
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

Hello Sirs!

I also have the problem with the mic!

Have you found a solution or I need to bring the device to service center?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Adept
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

Try Restarting the phone by pressing the power button and volume up simultaneously for a few seconds or else

Repair your phone with SUS or PCC

Update Service (SUS)

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

Don't forget to give Kudostrue.jpgand / or mark the correct answer