account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia ZL, IR-Blaster doesn't seem to work with Remote Control App

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 81 of 149
Message 81 of 149

Re: Xperia ZL, IR-Blaster doesn't seem to work with Remote Control App

did you get any solution ?

I am facing the same problem..

Regular
Message 82 of 149
Message 82 of 149

I just got my ZL yesterday. I tested the pre-built in IR Remotes and that works fine. This evening after work I will try the learning command on mine.

Sony Xperia ZL Red
Enthusiast
Message 83 of 149
Message 83 of 149

I just got word from a Sony support chat that contrary to my belief, my local support centers should be able to repair this problem (under warranty). I will probably try to get this straightened out this way. Local channels tell me this is not the case, so I just posted my package to a German repair facility. Too bad this cost me ~15 euros, but alas. Fingers crossed! Face with cold Sweat

I'll post the progress in this thread.

Btw, since the last firmware I've been able to access the IR Remote test in the service menu of the phone (dial *#*#7378423#*#*   aka   *#*#SERVICE#*#* ). I found that reading IR signals will supposedly report the IR data it receives, yet the allegedly detected IR data seems to change all the time whenever I learn the *same* IR command over and over. So that does indeed not really work, whereas testing the "sending out an IR signal" turned my TV off all right. Grinning Face

*edit*

Using a Logitech Harmony One univeral remote, I recorded the IR signal the ZL transmits in the IR test. Assuming this signal is static, I replayed it over and over using the Harmony One, while I put the Xperia ZL in "Receive an IrDA signal" mode. The ZL reported these different data values for this same source signal:

• 0155f3e5eeeec88a4fe474bd4dd79a8bbb5c7e60a5da6a664eed76a528e04c23215ea1
  •  
  • 0155f3e5eeeec88a4fe474bd4dd79a8bbbfbb9b5616a583ed2ed76a528e04c232153ac
  •  
  • 0155f3e5eeeec88a4f98c0404316f703e06dca6878302e0697ed76a528e04c232122dd
  •  
  • 0155f3e5eeeec88a4f52e2f12ab1a529d66dca6878302e0697ed76a528e04c232123dc
  •  
  • 0155f3e5eeeec88a4fe474bd4dd79a8bbb6dca6878302e0697ed76a528e04c23215da2
  •  
  • 0155f3e5eeeec88a4f174faeb92e9d3ff66dca6878302e0697ed76a528e04c23215ca3
  •  

Shame I'm no expert on decyphering IR Data. Face with stuck-out Tongue

Anyway, I sent

Owner of an Xperia ZL. Experienced the IR Problem, TWICE
and even THRICE!
Adviser
Message 84 of 149
Message 84 of 149

Sony Cheque.jpg
After a long battle with Sony India, they have accepted that there is manufacturing defect in IR remote and Refunded me full purchase amount. As I had purchased xperia ZL only for its IR learning function, I bought new LG G2 with similar IR function. The codes are learnt in a single attempt. The remote is customisable and you can drag and drop any buttons required. For my surprise it also has GTPL settopbox remote inbuilt. I have programmed this remote for my Medical Device Vision Drum, Air conditioner etc. and works very well. SONY should have done this with xperia ZL. I was very impressed with xperia ZL's picture quality.

2013-10-15-10-42-23.png2013-10-15-10-41-47.png

Enthusiast
Message 85 of 149
Message 85 of 149

Too bad the G2 is too large for my taste (heck, even the ZL kinda is, in hindsight. I'd prolly rather have an Xperia SP form factor).

The whole idea behind me getting this "SMART"phone is to have every hardware I could ever need in 1 pocket-able device. Making full use of the hardware possibilities seems a different ballgame though.

I told myself that if need be, I could rely on other developers or perhaps even myself to fully unlock the potential of the device, but with proprietary systems this may be a lost cause. Shame really, I'm disappointed that this 'SMART' era with Smart phones and Smart TV's isn't really as smart as it could be...

Oh, and I can only hope German Support will be able to repair my ZL, at least I know they received it all right.

and even THRICE!
Enthusiast
Message 86 of 149
Message 86 of 149

Ok, so I sent in my phone to the German support center of W-support.com , as suggested by the German Sony Support staff (Mr. Pusch). Not only did I contact them (twice) beforehand, asking whether they would be proficient in handling this seemingly hard to fix case; also, in sending the phone, I made sure to explicitly mention the problem where possible: not only in their service form (Serviceanzeige), but also in an accompanying note, in both English and German as well as in a notice on the phone's desktop itself. In my text, I also pointed to this thread; in the case they wouldn't know what to do, perhaps they could get in touch with Sony about it or something.

Now, my phone was sent back without the problem being fixed. The support center message roughly translates to: "The repair was carried out based on the error description. The final test was successfully passed. Despite intensive testing, the error you specified could not be found."

I would say that this support experience is unacceptable on several fronts. Disregarding the fact that IMO the support center should inquire for more details if they can't find a defect, I feel hopeless as a Sony customer just wanting something that is advertised out of the box. Having bought a phone for a unique selling point that's missing is a really bad experience for me.

If this hardware problem can not be fixed, Sony could at least alleviate the discomfort somewhat. Think about:

• Compiling a custom/unified virtual device based on multiple source devices from the pre-supported command database so that I can both switch tuner channels as well as control the Hifi system volume with 1 single remote (i.e. not having to change device for every function). Even though this would only work for known manufacturers, it could be useful for some.
  • Look at the app drpurupatil mentioned to allow for fully customized remote control layouts.
  • Open up the Remote Control api so we have more freedom in exploiting the IR functionality.

In the end, all I want is to have a nice app to easily send some specific IR commands. If I could somehow enter those commands as hexadecimal strings manually, not having the signal learning function working wouldn't be all that bad, once the device is configured correctly.

Even though I already invested 15 EUR in this, I'm still hoping to get this learning function fixed as Sony claims to be possible. Where would I be able to get a proper repair/replace of my phone?

and even THRICE!
Sony Xperia Support
Message 87 of 149
Message 87 of 149

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Could you please send me a PM with this information:

Name:
Phone nr:
E-mail:
IMEI nr: 
Service location:

Service number for the repair:

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Talent
Message 88 of 149
Message 88 of 149

Does this means xperia ZL has manufacture defect ?? considerding IR?

I this case can I just go to any sony serivce center and ask for the return ??

Since in once service center it is accepted that the default IR in ZL has manufacture defect any other sony service center should accept it right??

Can moderator cofirm the same? 

Enthusiast
Message 89 of 149
Message 89 of 149

I would think some ZL units have a manufacturing defect regarding the InfraRed capabilities, even though there seems to be a handful users that claim to have manual learning working.

When comparing the device to my trusty other (old WinMobile i900) phone from 2008, I feel the Wifi range is slightly smaller too, but perhaps I can tweak this a bit with root privileges. Apart from this and the occasional speaker crackle+picture quality on older firmware, I haven't really experienced many problems with the device. Too bad that in my case the IR functionality is a requirement.

and even THRICE!
Enthusiast
Message 90 of 149
Message 90 of 149

Any update on this matter Rickard?

The number of posts referencing unsatisfying customer service in this forum is pretty alarming, with reports coming from the The US, UK, Philippines, Nepal, India, among others.

I'd say that contrary to what you may believe as part of Sony's staff, there may be a bigger problem spanning Sony worldwide when it comes to customer service. Even though I apparently should be glad to have gotten my defective device returned to me at all, I'd still appreciate any pointers on how to fix this issue (if at all possible).

and even THRICE!