account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia ZL, IR-Blaster doesn't seem to work with Remote Control App

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 71 of 149
Message 71 of 149

Re: Xperia ZL, IR-Blaster doesn't seem to work with Remote Control App

Don't worry brother, I am regularly following this issue with Sony India. I am determined to take this issue to Consumer Court if no solution is provided by SONY for this Manufacturing Defect. It was not our fault that we purchased this phone. Just talked to Mr. Alpesh Rabari (service head, Gujarat, India) he assured that some concrete solution will be provided in 4-5 days. Lets see.

Enthusiast
Message 72 of 149
Message 72 of 149

A bit offtopic, but I'm very keen on getting the ZL fully operational in terms of hardware features and related accessories.

I've been playing around a bit with USB Host and MHL, additionally having IR functioning both ways (send and receive) would make this phone a real cool device for me. Slightly smiling Face

Owner of an Xperia ZL. Experienced the IR Problem, TWICE
and even THRICE!
Apprentice
Message 73 of 149
Message 73 of 149

great to know that but i am behind mr ashish parekh service head for maharashtra. seems no positive response. i think you are the only one who have still not givenup. best wishes to you.

Regular
Message 74 of 149
Message 74 of 149

Hey Everyone,

New here. I just came across the forums here and saw this thread. I just recently ordered a Red ZL. I will be sure to let you guys know if I have any issues with it. It's really sad to see that Sony isn't doing much about this.. 

I was orginally just going to wait for the Z1 but I really liked the idea of having an IR sensor in the phone so this was part of the sale for me.. I do hope that possibly a later hard ware revision fixed this issue since Sony is still pushing the ZL here in the US.

I haven't even gotten my shipping notice yet since purchasing it so I imgaine it will be here next week sometime. 

Sony Xperia ZL Red
Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 75 of 149
Message 75 of 149

ZL User Here. From India. FROM the Day i bought this phone (5 Months) i am not able to use this function, however whenever i  test that function in service menu IR reciever always shows that its fine. it even recieves the signal in Service Menu, but every time it shows different codes for the same button. has anyone noticed this? (in Service Menu) *#*#7378423#*#*  Check IR reciever in the test. Just an observation. And thats why i am not taking this to Repair center.

Xperia ZL C6502 (Replaced with a Perfect Phone)
Apprentice
Message 76 of 149
Message 76 of 149

Yes I have checked the same its clear that ir signal is received differently for same key presses and the app still says signal learnt.

Logically its clear a s/w problem and can be solved by providing update for IR remote App. But the way Sony is addressing it seems h/w problem. (Refer Rickard from Sony Support in this same chain).

Anyway none of the SONY service centers have clear solution nor Sonly Globally is bothered to address this issue.

My only concern -  can warranty cover this problem even if yes my handset is already 6 months old. 6 months warranty left now

Visitor
Message 77 of 149
Message 77 of 149

This ir sensor is of no use. Most of the people would like to use a remote for their TV's to change channels. But they need a remote for a set-top box to do so and there is no such set-top box remote control listed in the app for India. All I can do to impress people is switch on and off or increase or decrease volume of a TV and when my friends ask me to change the channel I tell them "that feature is not working". That's so embarrassing!
Even if Sony can't fix the learning feature in the device it should at least provide pre installed remote controls for all major( if not all) satellite/dish/cable tv providers.
In addition there should be a proper form wherein people can post their requirement for a particular remote( not only set-top boxes but other appliances) and Sony can provide an update monthly or quarterly adding that remote to the pre installed list in the app
Enthusiast
Message 78 of 149
Message 78 of 149

The longer I'm confronted by this flawed aspect of the phone, the sooner I regret having bought it in the first place. For me, the IR was a unique selling point that made me care less about the device's form factor. 

Sony's lack of a proper (verified) solution to this problem is concerning me. For now, I'm thinking that the right people at Sony aren't aware of our discomfort enough to do something about this. In my opinion, this is partly because this thread is wrongfully marked as Solved.

SoI'm now reporting this post to Sony, in an attempt to break open this case. If this doesn't work, I fear that all we can do it try and make ourselves heard more in other media (forums, social media and such) about this and hope that this will convince Sony to provide a solution before bad publicity will come their way.

If it's not a hardware problem and/or if Sony doesn't know how to fix this, I'm sure the Android dev community (at XDA Developers for example) would be more than keen on getting full access to the IR API and documentation. This could potentially even make this phone much more awesome, since not only Sony's proprietary (malfunctioning) Remote Control app would be supported, but any IR app could potentially be made compatible with the ZL.

and even THRICE!
Sony Xperia Support
Message 79 of 149
Message 79 of 149

I'm sorry to hear that your local support and service has been unable to fix this problem for you. I can't understand why though as the problem has been identified in May this year and authorized service locations should have the information and parts needed to fix the problem.

This is not something that can be fixed with a software update. The only solution is to repair/replace the phone. I will forward that not all service locations are aware of this to the persons handling this.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 80 of 149
Message 80 of 149

If authorized service locations should know about the problem, shouldn't local Sony Support acknowledge the problem too and direct people to them? Especially since I even pointed them to this forum thread in the first place.

The fact that they don't seem aware of this issue makes it hard to rely on a positive outcome 'going through the service mill', especially after reading the reports in this thread (made after May this year). The fact that this thread is marked 'Solved' doesn't mean the OP had his unit fixed, as far as I know his phone hadn't been repaired yet on June 19th, and he even received a bill for it as well.

No offense Rickard; I know you even tested and confirmed this report on a unit, but if all were peachy now, I would have expected less people complaining about this now. Anyway, thank you for the forward Rickard. I hope this will help speed up the repair process.

(Oh, and sorry about reporting my post, I felt like I had to do something to get some attention Slightly frowning Face)

and even THRICE!