account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Z keeps restarting when charging; cannot charge nor switch on

Learner
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Xperia Z keeps restarting when charging; cannot charge nor switch on

Hi there,

My Xperia Z decided to die on me all of a sudden.

As described in the subject title, my Xperia Z can't be turned on normally, while when I connect it to power or a computer it simply switches on, flash the SONY title for awhile then goes back off again. All this while the red LED would be on and off in tandem with the SONY screen.

Also, prior to this malfunction, I realised that the battery levels were fluctuating a lot: it could be 50% one moment then 30% the next, and then go to 60%, something like that. Then it just died in the way described.

I've tried many things, like different permutations of holding the power and volume buttons for different periods of time, removing the SIM card, getting 1 and 3 vibrations, but there would still be no difference. I can't do anything on the PC companion because the computer cannot detect the phone at all.

Hope that I can get some help ASAP, thanks a lot.

13 REPLIES
Master
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Xperia Z keeps restarting when charging; cannot charge nor switch on

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

First of all I suggest that you press and hold the power button and volume up until you get three vibrations. Connect your phone to the charger and leave it there for at least 3 hours. 

Then try to repair/reinstall the phone software using Update Service: 

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

If you still can't get the phone to start correctly I suggest that you have your phone examined at a service center. Please contact your local Xperia support team for more information:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Learner
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

I couldn't get the power button + volume up to work without connecting it to power, so I did it while it was connected to the power source.

When I leave it charging for 3 hours, does it matter if the phone keeps restarting as described earlier?

Thanks much.

Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

It is important for it to charge at least over 60%,after that download sony update service,turn off the phone and connect with vol down pressed when notified.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Learner
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Hi guys, I haven't been able to salvage my phone with the self-help methods, and I've sent my phone to the service center. Thanks for the help though.

Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

It is for the best,keep us updated.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Visitor
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

Really interested to know what happened after you sent them the phone?

I'm out of guarantee and I really like to keep my datas (as I didn't save anything for the two last months)...

Thanks to answer and let us know the fate of your Xperia Winking Face

Learner
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Hi all, for those interested in the fate of my phone, the service centre totally replaced the motherboard of the phone. I was lucky as my phone was still under warranty. The phone worked fine after the replacement, though I lost all my contacts and internally stored data. Guess there is no other solution though.

Adviser
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

Very pleased to see this post. I had the exactly same problems, and I mean exactly. phone still under 2 year warranty, so I sent it to service centre. Got a response back in a couple of days saying that there was a " hardware " problem and I would have to pay £137 to have it fixed as it was not covered by warranty somehow. I don't know why. The only way it would not be covered is if there were physical damage. Trust me there isn't. Thanks to you I know that it is the motherboard and there is absolutely no way I could physically damage that. Thank you. Just out of curiosity. Where you running on 4.4.2 at the time of the malfunction?
Learner
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Hi there, I apologise as I cannot remember the android version of the phone when the problem arose. It has been quite some time already. But I do think your best bet is to send it to service centre and categorically refuse to pay anything when the warranty is still subsisting.